Ok....sometimes I almost like the ads I see here...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Jan 17, 2020.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This one snagged me, it's from Tower Hobbies. I've had an interest in RC planes for decades, built a few, flew a few, and yes.....crashed a few. I intend to get back into it at some level short of fanaticism, maybe this year, so these ads hit a bullseye and send me off researching the RC sites.
    Screenshot_20200117-205501~2.png
    The Super Cub shown on the top left has a wingspan of 107 inches (almost 9 feet), while the JU-87 at the top right is almost 90 inches in span, either can be gas or electrically powered. The Cub is $499 or thereabouts, while the Stuka is quite a bit more at $750. These prices are for the almost finished airframes, and do not include engines, servos, radio, etc......and in the case of the Stuka, you'll have to provide your own swastika for the rudder if you insist on more authentic markings than the kit supplies, as they obviously omitted that little detail.

What's in the giant box they send you with the Super Cub inside..
    Screenshot_20200117-212735~2.png

All of the planes we had in the past were
    from 'stick-built' kits, as there were few ARF models around at that time, and of course, we were into the 'zen' of creating a miniature, flying aircraft from what was essentially a box of sticks, but these modern ARF models are definately tempting, and most are attractively priced for what you get...of course (probably from asian sweatshops).

Regardless, it's a bit of a golden age to maybe get back into traditional RC aircraft. Being a geezer now, I much prefer miniature airplanes to drones.

The 107 inch Super Cub in flight... complete with annoyingly obnoxious and completely unnecessary 'headache rock' track...vid starts at 30 sec in, hit 'mute' for best results...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    rangercaster and P Thought like this.
  2. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I'd love to get those ads but at least I am enjoying my feed of women's fashions, lingerie, bathing suits etc.

RC wise I've got a huge Curtiss Jenny ready to go, just needs servos and somewhere to put it

3. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Space for three larger planes is an issue, right now, the only plane we have is my wife's, non-flying, 83 inch DC-3, and it's currently occupying part of our garage wall...
    IMG_20181101_131218638~2.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.