Ok so who’s put out a release on cassette?

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Does anyone know if duplication.ca or national will print on cassette blanks for you? It’s not entirely obvious from their websites.

Am I better off getting my j cards printed somewhere else? Or getting my cassette cases somewhere else?

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Should I make the tape a minute longer than the recording so I’m sure I’ll clear the 15-20 seconds of lead time at each end?

thankyouguitar

Tele-Meister
Any pertinent advice?

This is a 48 minute full length.
Hello cyclopean! Sorry it has taken me a minute to arrive XD

I have put out tapes myself and had my music put out on tapes by other folks too.

The place to go is https://www.nationalaudiocompany.com/

If you have them do the duplication for you, they will make the tape custom length to fit your music. If your tracks are relatively equal in length you can split them across both sides of the tape. Or you can have them make a 48-minute tape that has your complete program on each side.

You can also buy blank tapes at whatever length you want and dub them yourself.

Basically, I'd say spend some time on the website. They have all the options you'd want.

In my experience, they do quality work at a reasonable price and offer good customer service

If you have more specific questions, feel free to contact me directly.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Hello cyclopean! Sorry it has taken me a minute to arrive XD

I have put out tapes myself and had my music put out on tapes by other folks too.

The place to go is https://www.nationalaudiocompany.com/

If you have them do the duplication for you, they will make the tape custom length to fit your music. If your tracks are relatively equal in length you can split them across both sides of the tape. Or you can have them make a 48-minute tape that has your complete program on each side.

You can also buy blank tapes at whatever length you want and dub them yourself.

Basically, I'd say spend some time on the website. They have all the options you'd want.

In my experience, they do quality work at a reasonable price and offer good customer service

If you have more specific questions, feel free to contact me directly.
Have you ever used duplication.ca? They seem like the other major option and they have the shell color i want.

Someone else in the band has a local duping service they want to use.

If the tapes i want are only available without tabs, is that going to be an issue?

thankyouguitar

Tele-Meister
I have no experience with duplication.ca, but I do know there is a historical precendent for music manufacture in Canada because of the awful magic of international currency. Looking briefly at the site, some of their shell printing options seem pretty cool.

No tabs will just mean you will have to put tape (masking is probably safest) over the bottom edges of the tapes to record on them. I'd double check with the duplication service if that will be cool with them before buying tapes.

One thing in my experience: if you are looking to create tapes of music that is somewhat extreme, the duplication and manufacturing places are going to bring down your recording's sound levels to meet standard production procedures. If you dub them yourself, you can blow them out as far as you want. This is time intensive, but if you have a computer, you may be able to rig your recorders up to do more than one tape at a time.

Always psyched to talk tapes!

Silverface

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
If you are going to go analog, go vinyl. Many people have purchased turntables in the last 5 years and priuces have come down for quality gear.

But few people I know own cassette players (I have one strictly for transferring to .mp3) and the sound quality is lousy unless you spend a LOT of money!

IMO a complete waste of money and time.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
What would you feel would be a fair price at the merch table?
$5. That could be low. Pre 2020 I saw them for $5 and would buy unknown bands' cassettes almost automatically for that price.

Anything different about mixing for cassette?
I haven't done it since 1993, but when I did it was very forgiving. I hit the tape as hard as I can without hearing extra distortion.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
If you are going to go analog, go vinyl. Many people have purchased turntables in the last 5 years and priuces have come down for quality gear.

But few people I know own cassette players (I have one strictly for transferring to .mp3) and the sound quality is lousy unless you spend a LOT of money!

IMO a complete waste of money and time.
Vinyl is well over a year’s wait right now. I buy tapes all the time. Like three or four in the past month.

outbreak

Tele-Afflicted
I've done multiple cassettes over the last few years. I think we get them done in Malaysia for price (we are in Australia). Much cheaper than vinyl, delivery time much quicker, we do the covers\cases locally. Usually just do both sides playing the same. Have not sold as well as records, but it's a good option if you are just after a physical release. It's also easier for us to ship to reviewers/buyers in USA and Europe. I assume you are more in the punk/alt music scene as it's still common there which is what we were doing.

I don't expect many people actually listen to it on tape, but you can chuck in a bandcamp code and sell them cheap in a funky color and people (like me) will buy them just for a physical copy of it.