Ok, so whats your next gig and gear...

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by T Prior, Sep 15, 2015.

1. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Tomorrow we'll play a charity event collecting money to pay for the education of children now living in the streets of Addis Abeba. Soul, funk and blues. I'll have a hard time to decide if I use a tele (my usual tool for this band) or my (new to me) 335 into the provided backline.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have my regular bass gig tomorrow.
    The only reason I mention it is that I will be using my new to me Fender MIJ Precision Lyte bass.
    It has a black sparkle finish, but I havent seen it in about 5 years.
    My friend Kelly sold it to me for cheap.
    It has a noiseless/hum cancelling Jazz pickup of some kind I put in it for him about ten years ago.
    I can’t remember what I put in it, and I won’t pick it up until tomorrow, before the gig.
    I’ll restring it before I use it.
    I’m generally a flatwound kinda guy, but I might put roundwounds on it.
    I’ll bring my trusty PRS SE Kestrel, too.
    Big fun!

Random1643 and teletimetx like this.
  3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

tonight, the monthly gig with my duo partner at a small bar & grill, with a super finger-picker type sitting in with us - we're all long time friends, so should be plenty fun. Ima bring just my tele and let them flail away on the acoust-a-phonics. We'll just do songs in the round, 2 sets, call it good.

then Wednesday, the weekly brewpub house band. Last week the venue owner lady specifically requested some Christmas music for this week, so I've lined up some 8 or 9 standards to throw in the mix. Usually do those on the flattop, which I took in last week to a local tech in Houston, Neil Sargent. Neil does wonderful work and I like to visit every now and then to support him. Trying to think of maybe some other Christmas type song to play on the mandola, but don't know if I'll have time to work that up before Wednesday.

Then I'm done for the year. I'm taking next week off.

Random1643 and brookdalebill like this.
  4. brookdalebill

deleted

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  5. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Local music venue with the big band. Back to my DRRI and small pedal board. Will be the maiden voyage for my Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, I'm really liking it!

6. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Playing New Years at the local Bar & Grill- should be fun- nice and close by.
    My trusty '52 AVRI, my Z Lux and board(with the new Tumnus Dlx that I found in the used pedal section at GC)
    Fun!

Random1643 and teletimetx like this.
  7. teletimetx

back after it tonight with the weekly brewpub. Just got a text that our guest artist may have cancelled, so either we'll have a mystery/surprise guest artist sub tonight or we'll be our own guests...kind of means that we play an extra set for the same pay...but hey, every gig...

Have telecaster, plus BF Tremolux, small board. might bring some extra instruments, who knows.

Random1643 and telestratosonic like this.
  8. brookdalebill

I have a gig tomorrow afternoon at Sholz Garten just north of downtown.
    I’m playing my EJ Strat and Schecter Tele into my Cube 80XL, or perhaps my Katana 100.
    Looking forward to it.

Random1643 and telestratosonic like this.
  9. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

FWIW, here's a cell phone video of my band playing "La Grange" on NYE, which is cool because I live only about 20 miles from there :)

It's shot from the side of the stage (and also by the bass player's fiance) so the guitar doesn't come off quite as loud as it really was.

Cheers,
    Doug

10. teletimetx

Looks like great fun! thanks for posting.

If I understand maps correctly, looks like Willow Springs is somewhere along HWY 159 in between Industry and Fayetteville. Once a week, I drive between Houston and Austin - and once in a blue moon, when I get tired of I-10 and Hwy 71, I'll go the back road out of Bellville and just chill in the absence of traffic and revel in the scenery. It might add a half-hour or so to my trip or it might not. I guess next time I fly by, I'll roll my windows down and keep my ears peeled for the sound of telecaster, somewhere in the distance. Happy New Year!

...anyhow, next gig is Wed., the weekly brewpub here in Houston on Hwy 6; guest artist will be touring folk singer/songslinger Hank Woji. He's a fun guy. My rig will be mostly the usual, although I will also be dragging my little Epi LP Jr., which I typically keep tuned in open D for some Bob the Dylan songs.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Random1643 likes this.
  11. ddewerd

Ha, your map sense is spot on!

I'm a mile off of Hwy 159, right at Willow Springs (which is not an incorporated town or anything, really just a community), just about half way between Fayetteville and Industry.

Let me know when you're passing through. I work from home, so I'm usually around. It's always nice to meet fellow TDPRI'ers.

Cheers,
    Doug

12. ddewerd

13. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

After a hiatus during the holidays, a busy year is taking shape for the big band that I play in. The band is called “Caduceus, the Doctors’s Band,” and almost all the players were physicians when it was founded in Springfield, Missouri, thirty years ago. Now there are five or six doctors, three lawyers, a CPA, a pilot, a physics professor, a psychology professor, an insurance agent, a retired school band teacher, a social worker, and a couple of hospital administrators. The band is organized as a charity for the support of a nursing scholarship fund.

We play arrangements of songs made famous by Duke Ellington and Count Basie, and some big band versions of modern pop songs. We have more that 300 songs in our folders.

On January 26, we play for a chamber of commerce banquet. In February, we play for a Valentine’s Day dance at a nice assisted living center. In April, we are being bused to St Louis to play for a fundraiser for the St Louis Opera. We have a variety of other indoor and outdoor gigs booked for the rest of the year.

I typically play my Peerless Revolver, which is a semi-hollow guitar that looks like a 335. I have recently switched to tape-wound strings, which have a fat, warm sound that I like, especially when I’m backing the vocalist and can be heard for a few moments. I use a Roland Cube 60, though I’ve been told that I will soon get a small monitor and will be playing through the PA.

teletimetx and Paul in Colorado like this.
  14. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

For me this coming Thursday 1/24, for our Bi Monthly show. Gastonia NC, 6 to 8 @ Jacksons. Good variety of R+R, Country and some Blues.

Emmons D10 Steel and the Fender PG -B Bender come to this gig. The amp will be a first issue Blues Deluxe, 94/95 ish.

This week I'm bringing out the Analog Delay pedal I just acquired off Reverb. Way Huge Aqua Puss MK II. I always run a slight delay with a single slap , around 280 to 300 MS at maybe 15%. My previous delay pedal retired itself from active duty ! In more common language , it died !

Random1643, codamedia and teletimetx like this.
  15. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Three gig weekend coming up, with three different groups.

Friday Night: Small stage, limited space. Variax for electric, acoustic & banjo sounds, Baritone guitar & Pedal Steel. All route through my Helix and projected/monitored through a full range cabinet on stage.

Saturday Night: Big, Loud room full of university kids ... we nicknamed the club "the daycare" ;). I'll play my Tele and occasionally grab my Variax for Acoustic/Banjo tones. Helix straight to the monitors and FOH. The house system includes a high end monitor rig with 8 mixes, so I'll just monitor through that.

Sunday Evening: My most elaborate setup. Telecaster, the Variax for quick tone changes, Baritone, 5 String Banjo & Pedal Steel. All routed through my Helix to the FOH. The monitor system is good but not great so I will supplement my own mix with a full range cabinet on stage.

(The full range cabinet I mention is the power amp input on a Peavey Bandit loaded with a coax Eminence Beta 12LTA full range speaker.)

Random1643 and String Tree like this.
  16. ddewerd

Next gig for me is a two nighter, Feb 22 and 23.

Houston Rodeo and Livestock Show BBQ cookoff

This is our 3rd time playing it. My buddy once again won the county BBQ championship, which entitles him to represent the county at the Houston Rodeo. There's something like 250+ teams, it's pretty impressive. Last year he got top 10 in brisket and chicken.

It's a goofy deal though. Each team has their own area, and depending on how much $$ you have, you can get bigger ones. Seeing that our county is pretty small (25,000 for the whole county) we end up with a pretty small one.

A review from last year (with pics) here:
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/fun-we...eo-bbq-cookoff-pic-heavy.808564/#post-8203648

The area we play in is 20' x 40' inside of a big tent, tables and chairs in there too. And there's a band about every other tent (there are actually "streets" set up in the NRG Stadium parking lot to accommodate this), so it's interesting to say the least (see the link below to give you an idea)

https://www.rodeohouston.com/Portals/0/Content/VisitShow/PreShowEvents/BBQ/Downloads/BBQMap.pdf

Since the load in is also goofy (Friday morning 7:00 - 10:00 only), we just use our minimal setup for our trio. Vocals through powered head with speakers on stands and a couple of monitors. Amps and drums are not mic'ed. We can be plenty loud in that small space, but some of these teams have full blown multi-thousand watt PAs, stages, etc.

Nevertheless it's a good time. We get free hotel Friday and Saturday night, plus all the BBQ we can eat!

I'll be using my standard setup - '63 Tele through 2x12 Fender DeVille with DigiTech RP500 multi-effects unit.

Stop by if you're at the Rodeo! Space C-927, Salt Grass Trail, Fayette County Go Texan Team. (I'll be the one with the Tele :)). We play from about 7:00 - 11:00 each night.

Cheers,
    Doug

Random1643 likes this.
  17. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Playing a winery gig with a funk/disco band tonight
    Going to play my Eastman T486 (or my Danocaster; gonna be a game time decision) through my bandmate's BadCat.

Random1643 likes this.
  18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

We're playing the Winter Farmer's Market in two weeks. We're going to squeeze all four of us under the stairs. It should be fun. Luckily our drummer has a kit that has a kick made from an Irish Bodhran and bongos for toms. It doesn't take too much space and isn't too loud. I guess we'll use the bass players PA with an iPod controller. I'm going to bring a little guitar amp and an acoustic.

Random1643 likes this.
  19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Back to what used to be My Jam Night on Valentine's Day Night.
    When i found out I couldn't host it due to life interfering, I gave it to him.
    All is cool.

Taking my Baritone Tele and my '77 Ibanz pre-lawsuit 335 through my '73 Musicman.
    Fx are Volume Boost - Tube Screamer - mini-Wah - Chorus - Delay.

Random1643 likes this.
  20. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Monthly pizza gig tonight. Small Sound craft board, 1 monitor, 1 main for vocals.
    I'll play home built archtop and small amp. Drummer will use a cajon. Jazz bass and Hartke into 2x10 cab.

Tomorrow we play in the loft of a winery.
    Pretty much same setup~but drummer will have full kit and I will set up 2 mains and monitors.

Both fun gigs, snow is not supposed to stick tomorrow:rolleyes:

Random1643 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.