Ok, so whats your next gig and gear...

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by T Prior, Sep 15, 2015.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have a duo gig this evening at the Broken Spoke with Tracie Lynne.
    I’m bringing my avatar guitar, EJ Strat and Roland Cube 80XL.
    This is an ultra low volume gig, and the venue owner lady is just a witch about it (and everything else).
    TL is an old friend, but I really don’t like playing this place.
    The writing in on the wall for me.
    Onward and upward!

Random1643 and teletimetx like this.
  2. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

We are playing a local legion tomorrow (Remembrance day) after the memorial services are wrapped up...we love doing Remembrance day gigs...usually a good crowd and a chance to thank and chat with some veterans

3. brookdalebill

The Audrey Malone Band has a gig in 3 hours at the Driskill Hotel Bar downtown.
    We haven’t played together, or seen each other in about a month.
    Audrey, Matthew and I been very busy lately.
    This is our best venue, for a number of reasons and I am really looking forward to playing tonight.
    Should be fun!

Random1643 and asatfan like this.
  4. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

60th birthday party for us. I suppose it has something to do with band members' ages, we are doing quite a few 30ths, 60ths, weddings and the odd silver wedding.

A Behringer XAir 18 digital mixer arrived last week, along with the HA6000 headphone amp, cables and five inexpensive headsets to give us wired inner ear monitors. For a layout of around £600 we can leave the big old mixer and monitors at home, forget about feedback, hear ourselves better than ever before. It all sounded great in rehearsal last weekend, and we are looking forward to Saturday's gig.

I shall take my modified Classic 60's Tele with Bare Knuckle Brown Sugars, Burns Double Six 12 string and Gordon Smith GS1. Running a couple of pedals into a VHT Special 12/20RT. I have been using a Sennheiser e835 for the past couple of years, so when they halved the price of the e935 I picked one up, Saturday will be the first outing for it.

Pineears, Random1643 and asatfan like this.
  5. brookdalebill

Tomorrow I drive to Hurst, Tx and play a one hour show.
    The set list is all familiar cover country.
    My bass player friend Bob and I are going.
    He has played with the leader many times, though I have never met him, or the drummer, for that matter.
    It will be an adventure!
    I’m bringing my avatar guitar, “new” (to me) Fender EJ Strat, Roland Cube 80XL and Boss Katana 100W, 1-12.
    I don’t think I’ll be doing any singing.
    Easy peasy.

Nickadermis, Random1643 and asatfan like this.
  6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Playing Saturday morning at the Winter Farmer's Market here in Fort Collins, CO. It's an indoor gig luckily, as it's supposed to snow. I think the steel player will be absent, so we're playing as a trio. I'm just going to take my Gretsch 6120-60 as I can cover acoustic and electric stuff on it. Even though the pots are kind of hinkey on it, it's staying in tune well enough to gig with. I'll have a small pedalboard and a Peavey Backstage plus amp. Maybe I'll bring the Strat as a backup.

7. brookdalebill

I have two gigs today.
    First up, Tracie Lynn and are at the Broken Spoke, in the restaurant/front room.
    I’ll use my avatar guitar, and Cube 80XL.
    My EJ Strat might get a little exercise, too.
    Later the Audrey Malone Band plays Riley’s Tavern in Hunter, Tx.
    I’ll use my Chet, and Katana 100.
    Riley’s in a loud, smoky joint, and the Katana might be a better fit.
    I’m also going to play my new (to me) 2005 Les Paul.
    It’s predictably heavy, but it plays beautifully, with it’s recent refret.
    It a gorgeous critter.
    Looking forward to both gigs!

8. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's

Playing the Tonic Ball in Fountain Square in Indy tonight. It's an annual fund raiser for the local food banks. We play 5 or so until 6:30 for some kind of reception for the big donors. Then, we play at 9:20 p.m. in the theater on the "Johnny Cash" stage. There are at least four venues....and seems like dozens of acts at each; all playing songs from each of the "themed" stages....ABBA, Beyoncé, Johnny Cash, Elton John, and maybe one more.

On a side note, we'll be playing two JC songs and "You Walked Tall" written by our band leader, Frank Dean. It's a tribute to Johnny that Frank wrote decades ago. The Tennessee Three recorded the song after Johnny passed. It's on YouTube. Frank bought a new Harley with the proceeds.

Tomorrow night we're playing Frank's annual birthday bash to support the local humane society. Venue is Richard's Brick Oven Pizza in Franklin. Great food and drinks. Everyone brings in dog & cat food, treats, blankets, paper towels, money, etc., for the shelter. Always a fun show.

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

asatfan, I want gigs like that! Good causes and interesting themes.

Playing at the Winter Farmers Market here in Fort Collins tomorrow. I think I've posted about it already. Our steel player will be absent. I'm going to pull out the Gretsch and play it only despite the scratchy pots and bad switches. I'm having a serious romance with this guitar right now.

Regular main pedalboard > Peavey Backstage Plus amp.

brookdalebill, asatfan and Random1643 like this.
  10. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

+1 Take the Gretsch, Paul!

My next gig is a stupid mistake, as my unindicted musical co-conspirator keeps reminding me.

Recently, I was eating a late lunch Downtown in our fair city when the owner stopped by to visit. We don't play at her place anymore - she doesn't appreciate the full value of great live music ;) - but we've stayed on good terms. So we chat. At one point I mention that our duo is looking forward to leading a couple of Winter Season Sing-Alongs in December. She looks elated. "The Downtown Merchants group sponsors the annual lighting of the tree and we need someone to lead some carols and songs of the season. Could you guys help us out? We've got some money. Saturday, November 24th,...." Without putting a lot of thought into I'm like, sure, we can do that, no problem. I mean, we get paid, it's kind of a community service thing. As I'm walking back to the office I text my buddy who immediately reminds me that it's almost December and we live in central Minnesota. Whoops. Good point. We survived a late-September outdoor fundraiser thing where the high temp for our 2-hour gig was 38F - another community service thing that apparently I got us involved in. My buddy reminds me of this as well.

My gear thought is to bring a small mixer and the Fishman SA-220. I'll play my Wechter beater travel guitar with the JJB 220 p/u and sing via an SM58 >with a windscreen< on it - "..must not touch lips to metal.." and my buddy will bring whatever guitar he thinks will best handle the weather; it won't be the Tele which developed some p/u switching issues after the Sept gig. If it's too cold and/or windy we put the guitars away and just sing. We'll bring some lyric sheets for folks who attend.

11. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

So much for working perfectly in rehearsal! The arrangement is I and the singer will arrive at 4:00 p.m. setup the PA, and everyone else will arrive at 5:00 p.m. Party starts at 6:00 and we begin our first set at 7:30. So I leave at 3:30 and my wife asks if we can drop into a shop on the way. At 4:00 she reappears to tell me that she has lost her debit card. I go into the shop and pay for the stuff she wanted, then return home to find the card on the kitchen worktop. Just before 5:00 we arrive at the venue. The rest of the band have been there since before 4:00. I cannot move on stage for all their gear. Helpfully they have run all the XLR cables around the stage, but are several cables short. It turns out that each time they needed a cable to cross the stage they had linked three 6m cables, leaving a few 15m cables used on short runs! Nearly all the cabling now needs to be removed and redone. Then someone sits on the router! and I have to rely on the wi-fi to control the mixer. It's now 5:30 and everything is wired (except for my guitar). Mics are working fine through the mixer, but as soon as I try to set up the auxiliaries the front of house speakers start to howl. No time to work out what is wrong, so I dig out the old eight channel board and swap it for the new one. No monitors, no time for soundcheck.

Before we go onstage the arrangements change and we end up doing a single two and a half hour set instead of the planned two one hour sets with a break. We play to about thirty people in the hall, with another seventy or eighty in the bar next door, our thirty sing along and dance for most of the night. A little after midnight as I load the car plenty of folks in the bar thank me and tell me how good it sounded, but I feel differently. An hour into the set I could feel my voice struggling, without monitors I had been pushing it, and can only limp to the end of the night.

Anyway to put things in perspective, in a couple of days I will fly out to Spain to meet my first grandchild for the very first time. Testing all the equipment, working out how to use the mixer correctly can all wait, in the end it is not that important,

12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Helping to host a Jam night next Thursday.
    It's gonna be a Hum-Dinger!

Haven't decided on my Guitars yet but, probably my 79' the Paul and my Home Beew Tele through my Musicman.

13. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's

Frank Dean and the Peterbuilts at Duke's in Indianapolis Saturday night. Favorite new honkytonk venue.

The usual gear....last couple I haven't even plugged in my pedal board, which consists of one dirt box I never use (probably because no matter how I try, it always sounds just a bit too dirty to me), Stigtronics Tremolo (Mike Stiglitz is a friend and he builds wonderful pedals), TC mini chorus (only used on a few "Waylon" type tunes), Ernie Ball volume, and Petersen Strobe tuner.

Probably use my Asat Classic with Pull String and my Vintage Club 30 (with Celestion Gold). I'm still thinking about that Fender Deluxe Reverb I played through last weekend.... White River Yacht Club 10-18-18.jpg

14. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Another classic country Sunday at the local watering hole - it's a place I get to play often.

The club is fabulous... it's our city's oldest Honky Tonk, seats about 150, celebrating it's 105th year this weekend and provides 7 nights a week of live entertainment covering all styles. It's not uncommon to see a songwriting night, blues, rock, jazz, country and even big band all in the same week. Oh... and the cheapest beer in the city :D! The world needs more clubs like this one.

This weekend I'm filling in with one of my favorite local singers for the first time. I'll get to play Tele, Baritone and Pedal Steel. I'll bring my Helix to route everything direct to console on one line. A separate monitor mix is provided so I'll monitor through that for the most part, but I will also plug into the power amp input on my Bandit loaded with a COAX speaker for a little added support on stage.

15. brookdalebill

My next one is my regular piano bar/lounge gig on Tuesday.
    I am going to bring my 68 reissue LP Custom and my 2005 LP Standard to compare/contrast them.
    I’m also bringing both my Katana 100 1-12 and Roland Blues Cube Artist 1-12, again to compare/contrast them.
    OK, I’m beyond bored with this gig, so I try little things to wake/shake myself up a little.
    Thanks for listening.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  16. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

Band audition this Wednesday - Custom Shop Strat - HX Stomp - MAckie SRM150 as its at the drummers home (electric kit)

Quite looking forward to meeting some semi sane people afther the last band :)

17. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Next weekend we will debut our organ trio DOG in public. We played a private function before and it was fun. For now we play cover songs from Grant Green, Soulive, The New Mastersounds, Medesky, Scofield, Martin & Wood etc – I also started writing for it, but that will have to wait – we all have jobs so we can't rehearse as much as we'd like. The gig will be in the Netherlands, the Tin Star Saloon in Kerkrade. I'll be bringing my Ibanez Scofield Model, a Cry Baby Wah and my trusty "Custom" Vibrolux Reverb as well as my Fly Rig Cali as a backup.

18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Tonight, the weekly brewpub house band gig. regular kit, flattop gibson, tele into BF tremolux, 2X10 cab, small pedal board. Our guest artist tonight is a fella from up in East Texas, singer/songwriter, part of what I call the Liberty Tree mafia - which is a venue in Elgin that regularly hosts singer/songwriters...

anyhow, should be fun, I'm going to throw a few new songs at the band tonight and see what sticks.

I took a week off because Thanksgiving in Austin and such, but there was a replacement for me lined up, so all's good.

asatfan and String Tree like this.
  19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Thursday doing the Jam.
    Tele and LP > Musicman.

Saturday night, the same band that used to have the Psycho-Singer.
    Tele, LP, Tele Baritone > Musicman.
    The fun part will be the monitors. Bringing my old JBL 805's and two self powered Mackies.

Random1643, teletimetx and asatfan like this.
  20. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Saturday gig at the local VFW

Standard setup - my '63 Tele, Digitech RP500 all-in-one pedal, Fender HR DeVille.

Ought to be interesting. This place is out in the sticks and usually is more country oriented (and sometimes, real old country...)

My drummer is a member of this VFW and so has known them for a long time. When we booked with them, we said we're not pure country, but we play a fair amount of rock n roll too. We play everything from Cash to Strait to Ray Charles to Eagles to Marshall Tucker to ZZ Top - nothing too heavy, but definitely not a Tear in Your Beer band (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Volume is going to be the big problem. This place isn't all that big, and even though we're not a loud band, sometimes it's hard to keep it down. PA is speakers on stands w/mons. Just vocals through the PA. Trio (bass, guitar, drums)

But they did bill us as a rock n roll band, so we'll see how it goes.

Cheers,
    Doug

Paul in Colorado and Random1643 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.