OK so recommend speaker for DSL20cr

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Whatizitman, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I bought a DSL20 combo last year, and immediately put a G12M in it. I love greenbacks, and its light years better than the stock 70/80. But it also accentuates the boxiness of the small MDF cabinet. I typically also use an extension cab with it, so that helps. I put the 70/80 in the ext cab cuz I didn’t have any other to put in it. Not great, but combined with the combo it sounds good.

The other day I swapped the speakers back. The ext cab sounds absolutely beautiful with the greenback. I would like to replace the 70/80 in the amp with a greenbackish speaker with some better bottom to reduce the boxiness. It would be nice to not have to use the ext cab all the time.

Will a creamback work? WGS ET65?
    Ideas? Opinions? Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Emi Legend Gb128.

Whatizitman likes this.
  3. Believer

Believer Tele-Meister

ET 65 works well.

Whatizitman likes this.
  4. Whatizitman

Would a 55hz GB work? Kinda pricey, though.

5. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I tried both the GB128 and a pair of WGS ET65 in my twin and also tried both model speakers with an Ibanez TSA15 open back cab/TSA15 tube head.

The GB128 sounds pretty good in both places, sounded much better than the WGS ET65 in the Fender so have left it there along with a Legend 1258 beside it. Didn't really like the WGS in the twin reverb - seemed a bit lifeless like something was missing.

I'm mostly a clean player, the ET65 does a really good creamy Marshall type sound with the Ibanez tube head, seems to be smoother than the GB128, tames the top end a bit more and sounds great with the 12AX7 tube screamer channel and/or other OD pedals.

Possibly a matter of personal taste - if I was using a Marshall amp I would go for the WGS ET65. Had the Celestion 70/80 originally in the Ibanez Cab, sold it to a metal player for $50 - bright, harsh, ice-pick junk IMO, couldn't stand it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Whatizitman likes this.
  6. Whatizitman

Hmmm. The GB128 is very reasonably priced. I think I will consider that first.

The DSL is not the most expensive or collectible of amps, so a lower priced speaker just seems right. I’m just not into the expensive upgrades for cheap amps thing. Kinda defeats the purpose IMO. The standard greenback only cost ~$110 or so after discounts, and its finding better use in something else now. So not a loss. A GB128 with some discount is ~$65. Nice. Not a huge setback if not “perfect”, and still better than the crappy 70/80.

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I have some more reference to go by.

EDIT: Dang it. Scratch that. No 16ohm. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Wally likes this.
  7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Celestion V Type

skerwo likes this.
  8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

What it,an, Eminence will built you a GB1216...16 ohm version...for a $10 upcharge, iirc. It is still a bargain, imho. The 16 ohm used to be in the catalog.

Whatizitman likes this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Most seem to swap the stock speaker out for a Vintage 30.

10. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

150w Celestion G12H Redback.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Creamback..big bro of greenie

Whatizitman likes this.
  12. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

+1. And pairs good with a greenback.

bftfender likes this.
  13. bftfender

have most of the celestions & the V type is such a mix of them..but seem to have a nice character. they record well & function in closed or open back. you are so right..it pairs real well with a greenie..that is a nice combination of full mids

14. Whatizitman

That would be fine when I'm using my extension cab, but I would like something to reduce the boxiness on my amp so I don't always have to use an ext cab. It's ok now with the stock 70/80 in the amp and the greenback in the cab, used together. The cab by itself is good, too. Just not the amp by itself with either the 70/80 or the greenback in it.

15. bftfender

to..totally open the amp up...the cab to me..is a dead cab...al most got rid of the amp did all of last years CD on..out of cab..the DSl copped ..all kinds of marshall flavor....in the studio..we were hearing a dullness in the amp...took it home..hacked it up...came alive DSL conv1 (2).jpg

16. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jensen Jet Falcon in 16 Ohms. Get a different sound in the mix. The MOD series are rather good too.
    Before giving up on the Seventy-80 altogether, thrash the daylights out of it. Get some clipped, square wave goodness softening it up. They take longer to 'break in' than a Krushchev era potato tractor.

Try an amp stand, or milk crate to get the amp off the floor and decoupled. Some cabs just sound like garlic infused excreta no matter what you do. I've done a transplant similar to bftfender with another amp that sound pretty good close mic'd, awesome through another cab, but its own cab? boxy badness. Even if you do change the speaker, you may not be able to overcome that for the room sound. Even a diamante encrusted coprolite is just a polished turd.

17. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

I put a g12h75 creamback in mine and also put one in the extension cab and it sounds great.

18. Whatizitman

When I'm at home I keep the combo on top of the ext cab, which is another reason I would like to change the speaker. The amp is in a good position for home practice and jams. The cab helps round out the sound well, but the 70/80 is what is closer to ear level. It wasn't much better with the greenback in the amp, though, due to the boxiness. Just not as spiky and harsh. Either way, I have to use the cab and amp together, as the speakers and cab complement each other reasonably well, and I would otherwise have to raise the cab to ear level LOL. It would just be nice to be able to play the amp by itself at times.

I really just should have bought a head. I wasn't sure at the time if my cab project was going to work out (it was originally for my champ). It would be pointless to swap it or cut it up at this point, though. It does the same thing as a head does when it's with the cab. But I would like it to sound better as a combo, if possible.

19. Whatizitman

How 'bout the combo by itself with the creamback. Any less boxiness?

20. jlem3

jlem3 TDPRI Member

I got my DSL15CR on an amp stand and it helps, stock speaker in it... it's new and needs to be broken in a bit before I go swapping it out...imo

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.