OK so recommend speaker for DSL20cr

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Whatizitman, Sep 13, 2019 at 6:50 PM.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I bought a DSL20 combo last year, and immediately put a G12M in it. I love greenbacks, and its light years better than the stock 70/80. But it also accentuates the boxiness of the small MDF cabinet. I typically also use an extension cab with it, so that helps. I put the 70/80 in the ext cab cuz I didn’t have any other to put in it. Not great, but combined with the combo it sounds good.

The other day I swapped the speakers back. The ext cab sounds absolutely beautiful with the greenback. I would like to replace the 70/80 in the amp with a greenbackish speaker with some better bottom to reduce the boxiness. It would be nice to not have to use the ext cab all the time.

Will a creamback work? WGS ET65?
    Ideas? Opinions? Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 7:02 PM
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Emi Legend Gb128.

Whatizitman likes this.
  3. Believer

Believer Tele-Meister

ET 65 works well.

Whatizitman likes this.
  4. Whatizitman

Would a 55hz GB work? Kinda pricey, though.

5. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I tried both the GB128 and a pair of WGS ET65 in my twin and also tried both model speakers with an Ibanez TSA15 open back cab/TSA15 tube head.

The GB128 sounds pretty good in both places, sounded much better than the WGS ET65 in the Fender so have left it there along with a Legend 1258 beside it. Didn't really like the WGS in the twin reverb - seemed a bit lifeless like something was missing.

I'm mostly a clean player, the ET65 does a really good creamy Marshall type sound with the Ibanez tube head, seems to be smoother than the GB128, tames the top end a bit more and sounds great with the 12AX7 tube screamer channel and/or other OD pedals.

Possibly a matter of personal taste - if I was using a Marshall amp I would go for the WGS ET65. Had the Celestion 70/80 originally in the Ibanez Cab, sold it to a metal player for $50 - bright, harsh, ice-pick junk IMO, couldn't stand it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 10:57 PM
    Whatizitman likes this.
  6. Whatizitman

Hmmm. The GB128 is very reasonably priced. I think I will consider that first.

The DSL is not the most expensive or collectible of amps, so a lower priced speaker just seems right. I’m just not into the expensive upgrades for cheap amps thing. Kinda defeats the purpose IMO. The standard greenback only cost ~$110 or so after discounts, and its finding better use in something else now. So not a loss. A GB128 with some discount is ~$65. Nice. Not a huge setback if not “perfect”, and still better than the crappy 70/80.

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I have some more reference to go by.

EDIT: Dang it. Scratch that. No 16ohm. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019 at 12:01 PM
    Wally likes this.
  7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Celestion V Type

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

What it,an, Eminence will built you a GB1216...16 ohm version...for a $10 upcharge, iirc. It is still a bargain, imho. The 16 ohm used to be in the catalog.

Whatizitman likes this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Most seem to swap the stock speaker out for a Vintage 30.

10. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

150w Celestion G12H Redback.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.