OK... so I promised... here ya are. . . .

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ronkirn, Apr 14, 2008.

1. milkshape

milkshape Tele-Holic

Well, I did some things right, and some things wrong. Thanks for the education. Really looks perfect.

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Well I reckon it’s time to wrap up the body, so let’s hit the back contour…

I marked the rough location when I was marking the top contour, again, for those looking for precision in getting this exactly right, there was no “exactly right”. It was a hand process so it was pretty much to the shaper as he removed wood.

[​IMG]

Using pretty much the same method as I did on the top, I use the grinder to coarsely remove the wood down to the approximate depth. If this is you first try, Take a scrap of 2 X 8 pine, and cut the scalloped shape in it a few times. It’s not rocket science, it’s more an art, and while I’m no Leonardo, a little practice can’t hurt.

I stand there and hold the grinder firm with my elbows anchored in my sides, and rotate from the waist; this makes it much easier to keep the radius consistent.

[​IMG]

Once it’s roughed in, you can take a curved block, I made this one from a piece of 2x4, glue a course grit sandpaper to it, and begin sanding away…when you get close, do the pencil thing again to give you a visual reference, change to a finer grit and continue ‘till it passes the sunlight test..

[​IMG]

Now, this is a relatively labor intensive method, so if you have access to a good oscillating spindle sander, you can make ya one of these racks to hold the body in position.

[​IMG]

The mistake many make on cutting this contour and the top contour are making then compound curves, they were not. In the sunlight shot above you can see the curve is only radiused on one axis.

Ron Kirn

3. Ronkirn

With the “jig” to hold the body I can move it against the spindle preserving the correct angle and keeping the floor of the contour flat.

[​IMG]

I just continue until I have the full deep contour seen in the 50’s and 60’s.

The sunlight will tell ya when to stop…

[​IMG]

Now, I mark the edge as I did the top to give me an indication as I remove the hard edge and roll it into the round over.

[​IMG]

Using the convex sanding block I take the edge down to the first cut, then repeat taking it to the second cut. This illustration shows the 3 primary cuts, followed up with hand sanding to smooth it up into a continuous radius.

[​IMG]

rk

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  4. Ronkirn

Here I have just about finished the roundover on the back side.

[​IMG]

Then after a bit of touchup with a finer grade of paper I give it the sun light test to note any gross irregularities.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some may be wondering how you get an acceptably consistent radius using a sanding block. It’s really quite easy. By moving the block down the edge it has a natural tendency to follow the previous line, cutting that line into “uncharted” wood. That, along with the sunlight’s shadow helps you know where the irregularities are lurking, so you can remove them.

Now, there are two other operations to take care of….

rk

5. Ronkirn

The last thing to remedy is where we stopped the routing before we got to the Neck pocket’s heel. Using anything round with sandpaper attached, just smooth the abrupt edges into a continuous flow into the heel.

[​IMG]

I do one side, and then I do the other. . .

[​IMG]

Now I will go over it with a bit of sandpaper, about 150 – 200 grit, giving it a good look in the sunlight, checking to insure all it well and there are no looming foibles.

The body is now complete.. all that remains is final sanding with 320, then the sealer, then the finish…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’ll begin that later this week….

Ron Kirn

JSKC likes this.
  6. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

My, My Mr. Kirn!...You certainly are the StratMan Mr Kirn! That is one beautiful job. It was very informative on the front contour. I've seen it done where it was just a flat cut, but that never really looked right. I put a straight edge on my california series strat a sho'nuf'. It is a rolling curve. Great job and a lot of valuable info in this thread. Thank you!
    Cheers
    ED

7. WisconsinStrings

WisconsinStrings Tele-Afflicted

Very educational. I'm really enjoying this.

8. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Just... wow.
    Amazing thread again, Ron. Can't wait to see how this one will turn out. (though I guess exactly that is the trick, patience... :D)

9. milkshape

milkshape Tele-Holic

I imagine the sitka is soft, how do you keep from getting dings and scratches when moving it around router tables and stuff like that? I always seem to get a scratch somewhere.

10. Jimo

Jimo Tele-Afflicted

Obeleo

Is that a Willis Alan Ramsey reference...OBELEO...?

11. Ronkirn

It's about as dense as Alder, and I keep the router table surface free of foreign material...But is a dent does occur, a drop of water, a paper towel and a hot iron erases it, followed by a light sanding and it's gone.

Ron Kirn

12. milkshape

milkshape Tele-Holic

Thanks the iron is a great trick I'm going to try out on an alder body that had a tool dropped on it. The rack on the spindle sander is another one. Thanks again for taking the time.

13. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

This is so addictive. I am going to Tenerife for a week's holiday on Friday and guess what ? I've got something to look forward to when coming home.
    Thanks Ron.

14. SMPTE

SMPTE Tele-Afflicted

That's really incredible Ron, great workmanship!

Great job!

15. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

I am speechless Ron!! Great work as always bro!

Thanks for the heads up on this build. I don't get in the Strat section of the TDPRI anywheres near as much as I should being a Strat man for the past 33 years.

Can't wait to see the finished deal. Amazing!

16. Southern Ill

Southern Ill Banned

Amazing.......

17. Southern Ill

Southern Ill Banned

Hey Welcome to the forum....You are in good hands....Seems to me ya know whatcha want....Have it built how you want it.With it being spruce I would love to see it natural or with a light toner like a older Martin ....Again very nice git'....

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great thread

I'm getting the distinct impression that this guy from Jacksonville knows what he's doing, maybe?

Thanks, Ron.

19. Ronkirn

Gotcha all fooled...:lol:

I'll be starting the finishing in a couple of daze... hang in there.

Ron Kirn

20. Gr8tfulEd

Gr8tfulEd Tele-Holic

'scuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.