1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

OK, so... copyrighting, how many of you actually do it before you start sharing songs? And how do

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by FortyEight, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Someone would have to have a good reason to steal anything I make and release. I'm but one small fish in an ocean of music being published 24/7, 365 days a year. As much as I would like to think people like my stuff, the reality is that only a few beyond my family and friends have heard them. If I have any fans, I don't know.

Let's be realistic about this.

A robber would not only have heard my music, but have critiqued it enough to think he or she could use it. Robber would also need motive to steal it. "A good song" is not in itself a good reason. "I need a song ASAP" is more likely. They would have had to have to some money and backing already occurring. Else why would they want something already written? Time is never on the side of someone with investing stakeholders on the line.

And if robber is in a hurry (and/or lazy), my music is not gonna come up on first google. They're gonna have to dig for it. I'm not worried about someone on TDPRI or TGP stealing it. I barely get any feedback at all from any forumites on songs I have posted. Why would a robber want something not like to cause some buzz? Less paper trail? Please.

This is not me being self-deprecating. The vast majority of songwriters out there are not much further in their trajectory than I am.

It's a lottery. I generally don't play big lotteries, as I consider them a waste of money. In that way, I look at any money spent towards marketing or publishing my music as an unnecessary waste. I haven't registered any songs with Library of Congress in 20 years.

2. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

I haven't read all the posts here...too long winded and some over complicating things. My simple take on it. I have songs on CD Baby. The songs are recorded and mastered. You can post straight to You tube if you want, it is copyrighted if you do...you wrote it and have given it it's first airing. Cd baby will assign it to all sorts of digital distribution with your permission and will sell hard copies of it on a CD for example. I've been with them for over 14 years. In the '80's I became part of the PRS , ASCAP and still get royalties but that's another piece of the jigsaw.

3. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

PS. Chris M is correct in his post about Spotify etc. Spotify give the artist $0.003 per stream. eg Lady Ga Ga will earn £3000 for one million streams !! It's naff all.

telestratosonic and FortyEight like this.
  4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Wait, current exchange rate is 0.78 pounds per dollar. So she will earn 2,340 pounds. LOL.

tweeet and FortyEight like this.
  5. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

But given that Lady Gaga’s total plays are measured in billions I don’t think she’d be slumming it any time soon...unlike us lot!!

tweeet likes this.
  6. InstituteOfNoise

InstituteOfNoise Tele-Holic

There's a lot of true info posted in this thread that can be gleamed together, but I've posted about this a couple of times over the years here. A couple of rehashed topics though...

I had a tune I co-wrote back in the 90s, that got lifted and was a multi-million seller (sorry won't be putting any names down here) Top 40 rock track. My co-writer had passed away before the alleged copyright infringement, but soon learned after his demise, that he had passed it along for placement before I knew it was done and copywritten.

So because the Library of Congress filing was not done before the later release by me when it was ready to go out, we could not sue for punitive damages only actual royalties paid. Since my partner had passed away all his evidence (which was very minimal) could not be used in court and would have to stand on the merit of the song. Long shot due to circumstances because of this.

To win your case, you have to prove ACCESS and how they would have heard it!

I had one of the best musicologists in the business listen to both examples and said in her opinion that were the same song! Plus the release and copyright of the infringer states that their version was written about a certain event which was 2 years after my co-writer passed away.

Still because any notes of his were inadmissible, you can't prove how access (which I did know), so after learning the payout breakdown based on a 50/50 chance of winning at that point I was advised by my atty to not move forward. Also based on the fact that the record label and pub co sent me a letter from their in house musicologist saying they see no basis for the claim and it is a different song. There's my get out of jail card should I release it again and they come after me...

So the money... so it would have earned about 90k in US royalties, after expenses of 10k+/- and the lawyers take of 40%, we would have split around 20k each for 2 years worth of aggravation and headaches over this.... Ain't the music biz fun!!!

So moral is if you are going to do anything real with your music, copyright it properly, as I still do on a regular basis. Also document with receipt via email, registered letter, etc that it got somewhere you sent it to. Bigger artists with lots of airplay or streaming use that as their defense for access.

telemnemonics and Skully like this.
  7. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

well a couple of things , not arguing. Its way bigger than just a copyright.

1) A cover band does not pay royalties because the venues they are playing at DO. Most venues pay a monthly fee ASCAP or BMI . Those that don't are operating under the radar and are at risk. All music is free to listen to or perform in a PRIVATE setting. Like at home performing for your kids and dogs.

2) No , we do not have to copyright our own music, there is no law. But if we have a few tunes which may have some value, there is a thing called common sense. There are a couple of ways to copyright and each at the same cost. A single song or an ALBUM which is a group of songs. For years I had been copyrighting single songs until a friend told me about the
    "ALBUM" thing. SO my last go around it was something like 10 songs on what is termed an "album" . I personally don't understand the differences, don't care either. I have a certificate with the song titles along with the registered MP3's.

No I do not write hit songs with lyrics, I write Americana style Instrumentals, Acoustics, Mandolins, Dobros, etc. I register these instrumental songs on MUSIC CLIP websites. They are also affiliated with ASCAP. Yep this is a 1 in 2,000,000 thing.

You know all those movies we watch and we hear music we like in short bursts ? Those are leased tracks from MUSIC CLIPS sites , they pay based on airplay and movie sales. Where is it we think that music comes from ?

People are listening, maybe not a million times a day but all it takes is "ONCE". IF your tracks are not copyrighted or affiliated,nobody in business will touch them . They don't call you and ask you to do it, they move on to the next song out of a few million.

3- Heres why we register. Three of my songs, out of the clear blue sky , were picked up for some sort of Internet Play list , some sort of Independent Internet Music Company, trying to offer licensed playlists to businesses. A 3rd party thing, all very legal. If they get paid, they pay , then I get paid. The paperwork trail has been previously established, they were legal to grab them from the CLIPS site. I registered with the CLIPS site, they leased them from the CLIPS site. No, I have not made more than a very few dollars but you never know. Someone may be listening is the point. Someone who may very well have an interest.

One of my Instrumental songs, I was informed, was being considered for some sort of Mountain Retreat Cabin Advertising video , no it didn't make it but it was considered. Had the paperwork trail not been complete it would not have even been considered. If there is no direct copyright and publishing affiliation, which is required to list on a CLIPS site, then they move on. Affiliating with ASCAP or BMI is easier than the copyright.

And thats the point. Why are we even writing music and putting it out there ? Whats the goal ?

IF someone happens to grab your ONE song which has no copyright out of the over 4 million available, and they use it and make a bunch of cash, you had better have a piece of LEGAL PAPERWORK to prove ownership, because they may very well have DEEP pockets and very smart Lawyers. Odds are it will never happen but eventually someone also wins those crazy big lottery's.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    telestratosonic and FortyEight like this.
  8. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

Audacity will let you export to mp3, if your copy is older you'll need the "LAME" encoder.

I'm going through this process myself, and having spent a few months trying to understand a free version of Cubase I got with a microphone, I finally gace up and downloaded Reaper. I think I achieved the same amount I'd done in 9 months in around half an hour on Reaper. It just makes sense. It's a big step up from audacity as it allows you to set all of the fx in real time eg, listen as you adjust.

Reaper is free for 60 days to evaluate, and then has a small fee (£60 in the uk) for non professional use.

With regards to mixing, I've found this really really useful

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVwn0Z_ucW6GnO3-YLdCEW1FYhahRUseV

FortyEight likes this.
  9. T Prior

the op is asking 2 questions at once. The thread title is about copyright but the initial meat is about recording. Just be aware.

10. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

I have appreciated the input on either subject. I'm sorry if I was being too scattered in my questions.

T Prior likes this.
  11. T Prior

not a problem at all, just for clarity.

12. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Gotcha! Thanks.

13. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The reason that copyright has been extended to 70 years past the author’s life is that the bulk of the royalties go to the publisher, and the publishers are effective lobbyists. The author licenses the copyright to the publisher in exchange for a fraction of the royalties. Those few songwriters who both own a substantial share of their publishing and whose songs generate substantial income are few in number.

14. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Holic

lol.

your tag line threw me into a tail spin. cheers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.