OK, so... copyrighting, how many of you actually do it before you start sharing songs? And how do

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by FortyEight, Sep 22, 2020.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

u guys post music on here?

I don't really think anyone would care about the songs I do. But part of me wonders if I should.... I really don't want to pay for every song I do. I hear you can do more than one at a time.

Anyways.. I've got one song kind of "done". Well, we got all the tracks down, and now I need to mix better and then learn how to or get someone to "master" it.

Wouldn't mind some constructive feedback on mixing and mastering. But to be sure, my stuff isn't going to be as good as a lot of people's I heard. I'm not a perfectionist. I'd rather focus on enjoying it and not doing 50 takes just to get it perfect. Too much work. I think for the most part the flavor comes across even if it's not spotless.

The only thing I've done so far as mix it as close as I think it should be.... LOL.

I don't really know if I want to start messing with effects. LOL. But I'm sure it could use it bad.

I can export wav files from audacity but not sure how I can post a song on here....

telestratosonic likes this.
  2. tm1303

tm1303 Tele-Meister

Any creative work committed to a permanent medium is covered. You own the copy right to that. That covers the lyrics, the melody, and the recording.

You don't need to pay for this privilege. You don't need to make a copy and post it to anyone.

Except, some times you do.

In all countries where the Berne Convention standards apply, copyright is automatic, and need not be obtained through official registration with any government office. Once an idea has been reduced to tangible form, for example by securing it in a fixed medium (such as a drawing, sheet music, photograph, a videotape, or a computer file), the copyright holder is entitled to enforce his or her exclusive rights.[27] However, while registration isn't needed to exercise copyright, in jurisdictions where the laws provide for registration, it serves as prima facie evidence of a valid copyright and enables the copyright holder to seek statutory damages and attorney's fees.[39] (In the US, registering after an infringement only enables one to receive actual damages and lost profits.)

3. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It's been a while, but I have done it.

4. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

For an actual US copyright, send the recording to the Library of Congress. There's a form online and a nominal fee.

5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Whooooah slow down there, mister! One question at at time. :eek::D Are you asking about copyright? Or how to record music? These are entirely separate things.

An artistic work is automatically "copyrighted" to the artist upon any type of public release. The burden of proof in a challenge to a copyright claim is on the party claiming to protect a copyright from infringement. In other words, there ain't no guaranteed "copyright protection". Historically, artists have utilized Library of Congress by submitting their works and receiving documentation of submission, verifying connection of an artist to a work of art for archival purposes.

Library of Congress does not protect copyright. It only provides historical archival by the feds, which in turn is about as good as proof of creative authorship as anything. A full production is not necessary for PA form submission. Just a few chords on a guitar, and a lyric sheet.

To actually protect against a copyright infringement and/or pursue an infringement claim, you need a lawyer, lots of money, and an artistic product that people actually hear and care about it enough to steal it. Most of us have none of these.

However, all this has very little to do with the actual recording process.

6. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

I've never went through the copyright process.
    I have no illusions thinking someone would actually steal my material....especially, since I have no fan (singular) base. :)
    I've had my material on Soundclick for a decade and every song is time stamped on the computer anyway.

Hence, I agree with the comments already provided.

As far as uploading a song file....just export to .wav/.mp3 and click the "Upload a File" button and select it from your computer.
    That's it.

A good day to all....

telestratosonic likes this.
  7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

About 20 or so years ago I put a bunch of my songs on a tape, and submitted it with lyrics to Library of Congress. I think I have the documentation I received back. Can't recall what it cost. I know it wasn't much. But more importantly, I know my music has not made any of it back. :oops:

Average_Joe likes this.
  8. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Meister

Deeve likes this.
  9. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Whatizitman. Sorry to include both.

To me they go together cuz it's the next step. If I post them here, do I trust the world to not rip me off. At the same time, I'm not really under any illusion that my songs are that good. They're made to bless the people around me. I wrote one for my Mom's B-day and I wrote one for my son. And the list goes kind of like that of the other songs I write. Someone may be able to relate, but I'm pretty sure most might listen to it once and that's that. If even that. LOL.

The messages are pretty general though. Like how much your Mom means to ya and for my son it's an encouragement to meet the new levels of life of being a young adult. But that one is probably a bit more personal.

10. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

Fill out forms. Send to govt online Job done. Copyr;ight is inherent but if someone else likes and steals it you are wasting your time suing unless you register it. (Experience some of my mothers poetry showed up in a book as anonymous) Aggregators sometimes will do it for you. You can register a "collection" of songs with one fee.

If you don't record you can still register scored music and lyrics.

11. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

When the recording company lays down the $25k for tracking a set of songs I then go out and pay the money for the copyrights. I know, I'm lazy.

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'm sure somebody here could correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that the copyright to the worst and most popular country song ever, Achy Breaky Heart, was actually awarded to the guy who stole it, because he did the "poor man's copyright" (mailing it to yourself) with that song, but it was actually written by somebody else. The other person was not able to prove anything.

13. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I heard on the radio that the author of ABH was a house painter by day and never saw a penny until 1.5-2 years later...
    Was that the real author or the other guy?

14. RodeoTex

A guy I worked with in the'90s had some copyrights.
    He told me he just filled out the paperwork and sent in the $35 to file a single song. Then... cram as many other songs as possible on the same cassette. They'll all be covered because they're listed in the Library of Congress.
    I don't talk to that guy anymore...

Maybe lots of more better suggestions here.

15. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

As I understand it copyright is now automatic: you simply have to be able to document that you wrote the work if you make a claim. But otherwise--you created it, you own it. That's my understanding, but I'm far from a copyright attorney

tm1303 likes this.
  16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I have no clue, but I'd be interested in knowing.

17. RodeoTex

I do also seem to remember that BRS became an immediate member of the Grand Old Opry. There was a rift in the cosmos.

18. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Copyright is complicated.

IANAL

Yes, once you write something original, you have the copyright to it. You don't even have to publish it, though that does provide some record. However, in the good ol' USA, at least, as @TeleBluesMan posted, if you do not have a registered copyright, you are probably SOL if your copyright is ignored, i.e., as far as getting money through the legal system.

You obtain a registered copyright at copyright.gov, and not by mailing it to the Library of Congress, yourself, your uncle Bob, or anyone else. Registration costs money, and is tedious. (I have done some for other folks.)

In the TMI category (possibly outdated, as it's been over a year since I submitted something) there are two kinds of copyright as generally apply to songs - the one covering "the work," i.e., the words and music, and one(s) covering actual recorded performances. You can register both, though some people (not the pros) do a (kinda) shortcut by registering just a recording to cover the work. The purpose of registration is to prevent people from using your work without obtaining permission. Last I read it's like $10k in your pocket if someone violates your registered copyright, and you'll find lawyers that will take those cases. No registration, fuggedaboutit...

The rules change frequently, but a while back they limited the number of songs you can batch up and send in together to 10.

19. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

[Deleted]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  20. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's

Right so here’s the deal with putting it out there after you register the copyright. Anyone can then steal all of it or just parts of it and claim it as their own. It’s up to you to call them out on it, if you even discover it. I’ve heard of this happening. It’s then up to you to go through any legal process to prove ownership.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.