OK, school me on humbuckers!

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Bob M, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have a late '90s Guild Starfire IV. It is a Westerly, RI made model that is beautifully made and compares favorably in build quality to an ES 335. While it sounds pretty good, I've always suspected the pick ups were lacking. If I could install a PAF type pick up I think that would go along way to improve the guitar. I know single coils-not so much humbuckers. I don't need coil cutting-just a solid PAF sound.

Any suggestions?

2. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

As a huge fan of that era of Guild and Guild in general, I’ll say don’t change a thing!

But those pickups are their own sound, and if you want a PAF they’re not that.

My favorite is the Wolfetone Legend. If on a budget, Duncan 59/Alnico 2 pro set.

3. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

If you are looking for "real" PAF humbucker tone and not the modern over-wound humbucker tone, check out the Duncan/Lover SH55's. I put a set of those in my homemade HH Tele and really like them. If ya look around, ya can buy a new set for $165 - $175 bucks.

They have the chime and sparkle of a good PAF without darkness or mud. And, they really sing when you push the amp hard.

I like humbuckers that will play well with the amp - get a sweet overdriven tone on 10, but when ya roll back the guitars volume they clean up nicely and clearly. Not the best description maybe, but that's what I expect from a good PAF. Early Clapton or Allman type tone ;).

g

Hiker, lineboat, Mincer and 1 other person like this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya. Seth lovers. Lollar imperials. Dimarzio anniversary

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  5. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Good options. Dimarzio transitions if you want the EQ of the PAF 36th Anniversary with more oomph and a tiny bit more mids.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Tommy Biggs likes this.
  6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Tonerider alnico classics (II or IV).. great, affordable PAF tones

BB likes this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Pickup heights
    Pots and caps swapping
    Pickup swapping

Go in that order, testing after each change. Takes you from free to expensive mods. I hardly ever need to go beyond the second step which costs a nickel to $10. Some like to skip to swapping pickups and then are left trying to randomly match an expensive pickup to the comparably inexpensive controls.

Golem likes this.
  8. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

If you're feeling like messing about a bit. Try meddling with thre magnet or removing the cover.

9. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Some great advice here. I have a Lollar low wind Imperial in the neck of my Tele, (and love it) but have used and loved Seth's, Dimarzio PAF's, Tonerider A4's, Antiquites, Manlius, among others, to great effect. For me, the lower winds work best.

10. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

For a certain era of the mid 90's, the Guild humbuckers were made by Seymour Duncan. They are called SD-1 pickups by Guild collectors. Duncan claims they are based on the 59 model and put onto a Guild bottom. I like the mid 70's Guild HB-1 pickups quite a bit. They wont fit into anything Guild made after 95/96 when Fender took over the Guild brand name. The pickups made by Fender for Guild guitars can sound quite lifeless. The Starfire IV in question might be from this era. Duncan's Seth Lover pickup is a well done PAF type pickup at a fairly reasonable price. There are many others as well.

Mincer likes this.
  11. Jim Sams

Jim Sams Tele-Holic

What style do you play? For boutique buckers l like Vineham.
    www.vineham.com
    59s and Seths are good also. I personally like the unpotted humbucker if you don’t play super high gain.

12. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

I put sd jazz in the neck position always. Its a clear pickup that never gets muddy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.