Ok older (50+) people, be self aware : have you started thinking out loud/thinking everyone needs your input ?

Otisblove

Tele-Meister
I just wrote a couple paragraphs about a couple different topics and deleted them.

So I guess what I’m saying is; I AM listening, I DO have opinions and I don’t think they’re important enough to share.
Now I can go to sleep and not worry that I said something that could be taken the wrong way.

Good night my friends!

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I don't give my opinion on anything anymore unless asked, and even then I might not, mainly because I just can't be bothered.

I really think I need a t-shirt that has '...it's not my world anymore...' on it.
Correctly stated it’s not my horse, not my rodeo.
You can substitute monkey and circus. Not my monkey, not my circus.

I am working hard to not contribute my thoughts. It is getting easier.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
If you can retire do it. Stopping dealing with the corporate BS is a great thing.
Luckily, my financial advisor is exploring potential options that might allow me to retire earlier than age 67. He's optimistic that he could knock off at least a couple of years.

I paid my house off like 4 or so years ago, so that's allowing me to park significantly more money into retirement funds.

The biggest roadblocks from retirement are primarily in the form of other family members. My daughter, who's now in her twenties, needs a bit of money for college and related things. Until she graduates, these costs will probably continue to be significant. Both my mother and mother-in-law have somewhat substantial health or financial issues from time to time, which results in me making some big payments to cover those costs. In the case of my mother, I have siblings that might help a little bit, but none of my mother-in-law's kids (other than my wife) really contribute.

I was actually really lucky in that I was self-employed from '08 to '12, so I didn't have to deal with the corporate BS at all during that time. The only problem was I really wasn't making substantial income, so I did a hard pivot towards a new career with both lots of demand and great compensation. So I have to be careful not to wear the golden handcuffs for too long.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Sounds like the lesson I learned in second grade. I got into a rough and tumble in the playground. You know, everything goes. Punching, kicking, biting…. I got my butt handed to me that day in front of the whole class. I lost a tooth, got a black eye, cried my eyes out begging for the fight to be over, was forced to cry Uncle over and over. That’s the last time I ever picked a fight with a girl!!
You MIGHT have tangled with my ex-wife! 😁😁😁

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Somebody asks me where so-and-so county is, and I know (I do) I'll tell them.

I still recall fully, that my opinions are (were) my Stock in Trade and I don't give them away for free or even for cheap. Except here. I got into the practice of saying "I don't know" until I was paid in full, and habits like that are hard to break.

+

Oh. Let me add something: I know an older woman, who felt like others could get along without her input, and she was silent most of the time. Then, when she finally did need to speak up, she experienced that issue where you can't find words. Aphasia. I think she could have been diagnosed earlier - now, to some extent the damage is done. So, be a big mouth from time to time - I'll do my best not to complain.

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Much in the way of the Progressive “Are you turning into your parents ?” commercials…

Worse case scenario (truly) one that (thankfully) my brain did control : saw a primarily blues guitarist (we all know the dude) perform at a club (he was great) . Afterwards he was hanging out chatting up people and I almost blurted out -

“dude, you don’t have to be that fat at your age !”
I can’t believe that because it entered my brain I felt the need to have it exit my mouth.
Anybody else wanna turn the 300W bulb on themselves ? Shockers/needing to keep your hands clamped over your mouth while in the grocery store ? 🙊
When I was in my mid-forties, I was that fat guy. My wife and I were watching a video that she had taken (at that time it was a video camera), of me and my late BIL body surfing in Avalon, NJ. My wife said, “look at that walrus”, (referring to me). I took that comment as a revelation! I was approaching 235 lbs.

I began a new sojourn in life, where I started to eat salads, fruits, fish, and nuts like they were going out of style.

Long story short, I’m almost 67, and I am 10 pounds over my wrestling weight in high school, which was 165.

I see these guys my age and younger who have huge bellies and I think, you can lose that if you really want to.

I guess the moral of my story is, lose the weight while you are young enough to do so, because most of us know what the problems of being overweight can do to our health. I have enough problems to worry about, but being fat isn’t one of them.:cool:

Last edited:

WRHB

Tele-Holic
When I was in my mid-forties, I was that fat guy. My wife and I were watching a video that she had taken (at that time it was a video camera), of me and my late BIL body surfing in Avalon, NJ. My wife said, “look at that walrus”, (referring to me). I took that comment as a revelation! I was approaching 235 lbs.

I began a new sojourn in life, where I started to eat salads, fruits, fish, and nuts like they were going out of style.

Long story short, I’m almost 67, and I am 10 pounds over my wrestling weight in high school, which was 165.

I see these guys my age and younger who have huge bellies and I think, you can lose that if you really want to.

I guess the moral of my story is, lose the weight while you are young enough to do so, because most of us know what the problems of being overweight can do to our health. I have enough problems to worry about, but being fat isn’t one of them.:cool:
Your message about obesity carries more weight (pun intended) because you were overweight and now you’re lean. Being heavy I’m more likely to listen to you than someone who has been skinny and critical of plump people their whole life. I’m glad you got yourself healthy.