1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ok, now who can help me with a compression pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Rizo, May 21, 2005.

1. MarkM

MarkM TDPRI Member

I don't know about that......

"take my advice and don´t waste your money"
    I feel the same about the MXR.
    I guess maybe I'm a little "sour" about Barber pedals lately as I think there is alot of hype surrounding them. Some of it may be self-made who knows? I will say that I like my MXR Dyna-Comp for Country as the sound is pleasing to me. I have a Barber TP and although well made and sounded OK......I still like the Dyna-Comp best which is why my TP may go the same way my Barber LTD is going......to the Garage Sale!! :rolleyes:

2. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Tele-Holic

I guess everyone's ear are different

I owned the MXR Dyna Comp, the Route 66,and tried the Boss CS-3. Those pretty much soured me on compressors, until I tried the Tone Press. I sold mine because I found myself becoming too dependent on it. I know that sounds like a load of crap, but I want dynamics more than comprssion, I guess, and can compensate for the lack of compression with technique(maybe). :rolleyes:

3. DAVIS T. BONE

DAVIS T. BONE TDPRI Member

DynaComp

Been using MXR's box since 1979 (same one) with consistent, reliable results. Only changed the battery when needed.

4. tellypicker

tellypicker Tele-Meister

keeley.

5. kajek

kajek NEW MEMBER!

6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

7. jkats

jkats Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Orange Squeezer

I have one of the old Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezers, and I plug it into the output jack of an overdrive box at the head of my effects chain. It's worked well for the last 25 years, and all I've had to do is replace the switch. I only use it to boost the sustain on a Strat or Tele when playing slide, and not as a clean boost -- I learned a long time ago what that does to dynamics, and I don't like it. (I use a MXR Micro Amp for the clean boost).

8. wail

wail TDPRI Member

+1

9. CountryShawn

CountryShawn Tele-Holic

You'll really just have to try them out for yourself, with your rig, your style and your attack.

There is no "best" compressor. I've said before that it's kind of like saying what the best color is. It is very subjective.
    Style of music and your own unique attack will have far more effect on which one you pick than anything else.

I use a Boss CS-3 for example. That doesn't mean it's the best. It means it's the right one for me.

The only caveat is that you have to know the sound you are shooting for, or you'll get option anxiety!

Cheers,

Shawn

10. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Tele-Holic

choosing compression pedal

Hi,
    I first tried the Boss CS3 and it seemed it;s effect seemed a bit 'rubbery' at first. I then bought the mod kit from indyguitarist.com and it became much more usable. The harshness became mellow and yet the whole thing became more transparent. The compression seemed to apply later somehow. I then tried a Barger TonePress which was excellent, but was SO transparent and with such clear attack - that I sometimes find myself using/prefering the CS3 (with or without mod) because I just like that lovely rubbery 'squashy' sound to fatten/sweeten single coil pickups. Both the Boss CS3 and the higher priced Barber tonepress are therefore excellent, but for different 'flavours'. Do not assume that only higher prices and 'boutique'' products deliver desired results. You do get what you pay for, but you just might like the sound of cheap ! After all, how many folks on this forum love and play thier 'cheap' telecasters to death whilst that expensive Gibson stays in it's case.

Viva la difference !

:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.