1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

OK no more Reverb for me

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tfarny, Dec 22, 2020.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

So, I sell a guitar and the buyer pays $1050 in total - after taxes, Reverb fees, payment processing fees, and shipping, I will end up with less than $750.

I could sell the same guitar to a local buyer for $650 and have zero hassle of shipping, zero chance of a return or a payment dispute. And I would know that the buyer got a chance to see and play the thing before they parted with their cold hard un-returnable cash money. Instead I ship across the country in the middle of a pandemic & holiday combination and have to wait to make sure it arrived in one piece and the buyer is satisfied with it!!

Thanks for listening. And get off my lawn!

/rant

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

I've never used Reverb, not because I was wary but because it didn't seem to be any different from selling on eBay.
    It sounds like I was correct in that assumption. CL is a PITA, no-shows, weirdos and assholes abound. I loathe the low-ball BS. If I list something for a grand, I'm not going to take $500.

DDickens, Drew617 and Steve Holt like this.
  3. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

They charged you tax on something you sold? I don't understand that.

Regardless, everyone has to decide what's worth doing and what isn't worth doing. I'm selling a guitar this week to a local shop. I drive over there. They hand me a check. I have also traded guitars in against a new purchase at the same shop. I also have traded a lot of stuff to Guitar Center. I have made some good trades there.

I don't like to sell online. I don't let people come to my house and look at stuff. I don't meet people to sell stuff. Like I said, we all have to decide what's acceptable to us.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  4. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

I'd never use reverb because everything is an overpriced crap on this site.

But I like their video.

5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Easily remedied, discussed many times. ADD the reverb penalty to the asking price, and list the same product elsewhere without. Folks will see it listed multi times, see the penalty, and develop a situational awareness over time.

Dave W, DjimiWrey, SRHmusic and 5 others like this.
  6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I've never sold on Reverb but I have bought from it a fair amount. It is great for putting the sellers and buyers in contact for each other so it expands considerably the market for what you are selling. The fees and associated costs may be a PITA, but as was said previously, it allows you to avoid a lot of weirdness and scammery (that's right, "scammery." It's a new word. I just made it up).

SRHmusic, MickM, Boreas and 4 others like this.
  7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

It does add up. Reverb more than ever now.
    If I sell on line I add freight over the item price.

Ebay sells 2-3 times more often than Reverb.
    The bigger issue is returns, you pretty much have to do them.

Sold a vintage speaker recently " as is and working" and warned not to use it for loud rock etc, I even had lowered the price when he asked. next thing I know he wants to return it. "it's shot, sounds bad". I get it back and there a speaker stud hole in the cone. Reverb helped with that issue though, easier than Ebay would.

8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Selling always stinks, regardless of venue/platform.

Reverb is a great place to buy, though, IME.

driver8, SRHmusic, Dereksys38 and 3 others like this.
  9. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

The latest Reverb ‘tax’ is that they no longer just charge a seller’s fee but now only allow ‘Reverb Payments’ on which they charge another 2.7-2.8%. And, you can’t use the money, even on Reverb. You have to give them your bank info to get a wire transfer.

They say they will keep the info safe, that they will only send you funds (and not withdraw them for refunds or disputes), and that Reverb Payments are just more ‘convenient’ and not a money grab since Etsy bought them. I don’t even give that info to PayPal who really are more useful and have a long track record.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  10. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Yet you can use PayPal on Etsy.

11. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

You don't have to sell on Reverb, as you have realised judging by the thread title. But to me roughly $100 for the hassle that is shipping -- the rest don't really register if you've put up a detailed listing -- sounds pretty fair, if not great. The pandemic is annoying, yes, but selling in the midst of it is your own choice.

I'll get off your lawn now.

12. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

take the hit sell local-lose a bit of money but much less hassle

Billy3 and Torren61 like this.
  13. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I use it a lot to both buy and sell; I like it for the convenience of a “world” market. I add all fees, taxes, shipping (free shipping!) etc., into the asking price, with a little wiggle room. Just sold a set of Epi humbuckers and a Gibson Explorer gig bag this week.

And y’all have my bank info since, like, 1987, when I started electronic banking, so enjoy, and use it wisely!

Fretting out and Obsessed like this.
  14. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Couple of info / rebuttal points -
    1. Reverb used to be very cheap for sellers. Their fee structure is now the same as Ebay but it didn't used to be so.
    2. They didn't charge me the tax, but it's still part of the gap between buyer's price and seller's income.
    3. I have had only one sketchy experience in all my CL dealings, over many years, and I have done a lot. Gear, cell phones, cars, furniture. People are for the most part great, and if you have common sense in dealing with them pre-meeting, there is rarely if ever any drama. The one sketchy lowballer type I got was actually for selling a car on CL. The other cars I've sold on CL have been easy, painless, cash-at-the-bank transactions.

I know, obviously, I chose to list it there and it's all my fault yadda yadda. But if we can ***** and moan about all the rich and famous people who we don't like on bad dog, can't I just get a minute too?

hepular likes this.
  15. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

How did you only get $750? The numbers are supposed to shake out like this-

$1050 sale

5% Reverb fee= $52.5
    2.9% + $.30 PayPal fee= $30.75
    Shipping (should be calculated into the sale price)= $60 (they charge you fees for the shipping which is BS, but that prevents people from listing a guitar at $20 with $500 "shipping" to avoid the fees).
    Reverb doesn't charge tax to sellers, just buyers.

Shipping/fees total- $143.25
    Seller net: $906.75

LooseJack, Dave W, SRHmusic and 3 others like this.
  16. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I don't really fancy delay, so a bit of reverb is essential for me. :)

Oh come on! You were all thinking it... someone had to do it. o_O

17. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Who took the biggest cut? 2.7% of $1050 = $28.35 PLUS .25 which equals $28.60. $28.60 to run your ad with pictures and guarantee the buyer that you're not a rip off. You had shipping costs of around $75 or less which totals out to less than $100. So, you should have cleared $950 before taxes but you cleared around $750 (I know you cleared less). So, a fee of $200 on a $1050 sale is not the fault of Reverb. Contact your reps...

SRHmusic, Boreas and Fretting out like this.
  18. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

And... I would add that your market share of buyers was increased by using Reverb.

Fretting out likes this.
  19. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters Tele-Meister

I've never sold on Reverb, but I have about 10 to 15 purchases. Mostly positive experiences overall. The fee structure on sites like Reverb and eBay is expensive. I've gotten to the point where I almost never sell gear anymore because it's not worth it...between the fees or the overall CL weirdness/flakiness. If I'm going to take a hit, I'd rather just trade in to the local mom and pop guitar shop.

PhredE and loco gringo like this.
  20. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Its what I've been doing; so far so good

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.