OK, it's time for a DPP Tele.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TRexF16, Mar 22, 2019.

1. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Thanks, sounds like you've been to a few.

2. erix

erix Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Heh, nope, just heard stories from my uncle. I grew up around Nellis, quite familiar with all those warbirds. In the old days we would go to open house and walk right up to the planes. They don’t let the public do that anymore... enjoy your time with them!

3. TRexF16

I spent seven years at Nellis from '90-'96 Maybe we crossed paths. Thanks for the kind wishes, and you are right, "Fini" is the customary term for the event we're describing.

4. TRexF16

Sorry for the MIA status lately on this project. I have not yet gotten deep into the necks and the body has just been a succession of spraying un-thinned Watco lacquer. I have a pretty good build so tonight I decided to just knock off the high spots on the very lumpy finish so I can start the process of getting it flat. This little bit did not strip off any of the flake, so I plan to shoot a few more full strength coats over the next couple days and then knock it back a bit more the next time.
    Repeat to infinity. Or until it's dead flat. Whichever comes first.
    IMG_8838.JPG
    IMG_8839.JPG
    This was dry sanded with 400 grit, for those who might be thinking of doing their own sparkle. Interestingly, I got zero loading of the sandpaper. No idea why.

My first two weeks of retirement has been so bloody busy I have not updated much on this project, though I have started a couple new and interesting ones as well.

Cheers,
    Rex

Chunkocaster, Mat UK, Ekko and 4 others like this.
  5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

looks sweet! but yeah, you have hit on the reason I chose 2-pak urethane when I DIY'ed the flakes before the DPP.

Lacquer takes so long to cure, especially when it's THAT thick. Really easy to think you got it knocked out and then a couple weeks or months later the orange peel is BACK....

6. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

It doesn’t look loud yet....

LeftFinger likes this.
  7. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

I beg to differ, it looks quite loud now. I’d actually say plugging this into a cranked 100 Watt Marshall stack would only make it only marginally louder.

Looks great!! You’re a braver man than I. I don’t think I could do a metal flake finish.

8. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

DPP:

[​IMG]

matmosphere likes this.
  9. TRexF16

Yeah, A guy that shows up with this thing had better be able to PLAY! (and I'm not that guy) Because this thing is going to be screaming "look at me!" Just got a coat sprayed and going for one more before I take my dogs to the park.

10. Barncaster

Now Rex,
    Just show up at guitar night with the guys, tell ‘em it’s your wife’s and needed some exercise, pull off a sweet rendition of Patsy Kline's “I Fall to Pieces” including the slick Buck Owens riff and a little falsetto and Bob’s your uncle!
    Rob

11. TRexF16

I did a full sanding all over last night and it was almost completely flat - just a few little dimples that I was too chicken to try to sand out
    IMG_8853.JPG
    This morning I hit it with two coats of lacquer. This time, instead of spraying it straight, I added a little thinner (about 25%) and a splash of retarder to help it flow out a bit before it set.
    IMG_8855.JPG
    IMG_8856.JPG
    IMG_8857.JPG
    IMG_8858.JPG
    The plan was to lay on a couple more coats today but I picked up a little bug on the second coat so I need to let it set enough to scrape him off.
    IMG_8860.JPG
    BUT, the bottom line is there is a little light at the end of the tunnel, sparkle finish-wise. I still have not taken the neck past the profiled stage, but I figure there is going to be a long period of body finish drying to work on that. I've have a few other projects in parallel so life is very busy.

Cheers,
    Rex

12. Barncaster

Ya know Rex, when I look at that beauty I see a little antique white von Dutch pinstripe work on the top. Just a thought.

nosmo, LeftFinger and erix like this.
  13. TRexF16

So basically you're sayin' it's still not loud enough? I can barely sleep now with it just hanging on the finish rack - for goodness sakes I'd never get a wink if it had pinstripes too!

Treadplatedual, LeftFinger and RLee77 like this.
  14. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

true art. i love it

15. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

Lookin' good Rex!
    Cheers,
    Woody

16. TRexF16

Thanks Fellas. I have 4 new coats on since that last sanding and will probably see if I can get it dead flat next weekend, then lay on a few real slick wet coats and let that dry for the final. Spraying outdoors like I do it is just so hard to avoid the dreaded "Klingons."

Barncaster and Zepfan like this.
  17. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Rex, I mentioned this in another thread the other day. Get a cheap, easy set up tent and use that as a spray booth. Portable, good ventilation and keeps the bugs out.

18. TRexF16

That's a great idea. I think they make "picnic tents" that are just a overhead cover and bug netting walls. That would be perfect, but it'd have to be set up most all the time. I'm going to look into that idea. Thanks!
    Rex

19. TRexF16

Who can resist a mock-up during the build phase. I have not yet cut the pickguard for the Strat neck pickup so I just laid a pickup cover over the spot. Took an Ebony neck from another of my builds and a pale and unfinished maple neck out of the junk bin. I think I am pretty sure a nice vintage amber is what I need to make for it.
    IMG_8894.JPG
    IMG_8896.JPG
    IMG_8897.JPG
    IMG_8898.JPG
    IMG_8901.JPG
    Cheers,
    Rex

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Jupiter, eallen, RevBillyG and 8 others like this.
  20. erix

erix Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I love the white bridge pickup!
    White pinstripes will really tie it all together, would they not?
    39A5D1BC-4461-44CD-88E2-D7A1AF6B9B66.jpeg

Barncaster and Ekko like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.