OK, it's time for a DPP Tele.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TRexF16, Mar 22, 2019.

1. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

Looks like you have the pink nailed Rex.
    Cheers,
    Woody

2. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Well, let's see how it looks under the flake. I'm about to go spray my first attempt - pics to follow.
    Rex

3. TRexF16

I started by mixing up some flake. I used 50/50 lacquer/thinner with a splash of retarder, as I usually do. I remembered to take the little plastic strain filter out of the gun.
    IMG_8462.JPG
    The flake tends to settle to the bottom of the mix really quick. This makes me think I may want to use a thicker lacquer, perhaps with no thinner, as the carrier for the flake.
    IMG_8463.JPG
    To start with, I just poured the whole test batch into the gun and went at it, and...nothing, just air. The flake had gathered in the gun and pluged up the lacquer from flowing through.
    IMG_8464.JPG
    So I cleaned this out and finally poured a little thinner right into this opening and started to get it flowing well. At that point, I discovered I could pour very small amounts of my mix into the gun (with the reservoir back on) and it would flow through. In the process of cleaning it out I got it thinned even more but the bottom line is I have at least an interim capability to spray flake onto the desired target. Because the mix is too thin, I get the max I can spray for a wet coat before there's much build to the flake. Here's the first coat.
    IMG_8466.JPG
    and the second, after a half hour
    IMG_8474.JPG
    Then the third.
    IMG_8475.JPG
    and one with it tipped to catch the light
    IMG_8476.JPG
    In these pictures, it looks like the lighter pink is the best background, but in person it looks better over the darker pink, IMO.
    I'll probably go for a color about halfway between the two on the guitar but I think the finding is a pink background is better that white for sure. I still don't know what Rob's silver or gold suggestion would look like. I'm going to try a forth test coat with straight lacquer, no thinner and see if I can get a better build.

Cheers,
    Rex

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    RiversQC, AAT65, Barncaster and 3 others like this.
  4. TRexF16

Eureka! The flake remains suspended much better in the full strength lacquer and allows pretty decent spraying and build. This is one coat of the straight lacquer [EDIT - on top of the previous three, if that was not obvious] and you can compare it to the "third coat" picture in the post above to see what a nice build this made.
    IMG_8477.JPG
    IMG_8478.JPG
    IMG_8480.JPG
    IMG_8481.JPG
    IMG_8482.JPG
    I think I'm in business! Time to get some primer and pearl on the body! I'll be shooting flake on it by Monday. I'm going to have to resist the urge to put the coats on too heavy so as to avoid any runs. Unlike this flat test piece I can't put the body in a resting position that doesn't have gravity working against some part of it.

Cheers,
    Rex

5. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Looks like you won't even have to sand it much. Awesome.

6. TRexF16

That was a wet coat right after spraying, so it looks deceptively smooth. It has shrunk down in the hours since but overall I will say it is smoother than I had anticipated.

7. TRexF16

I found four little places on the body I needed to glaze to clean them up, so I got that done this morning.
    IMG_8472.JPG
    Then over the last hour, after sanding everything down to a smooth 320, I shot three coats of the white nitro primer. It nicely used up all the remaining in that can - that was handy to find that.
    IMG_8486.JPG
    Tomorrow I'll sand this smooth and shoot the white pearl. I have Monday off so I think I'll get a little red over the pearl that morning to pink it up, then shoot the first couple coats of flake in the afternoon.

Cheers,
    Rex

8. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

E-vil.

9. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

Yeah Rex, it's going to shrink. A bunch. Both of my bikes are flaked, the Sportster I did with poly in 2009, the flathead was done by a friend with lacquer back in '76. It took 8 coats to bury the flake with poly, 4 candy, 4 clear. It took 25 coats of clear to bury the flake with lacquer.
    Cheers,
    Woody

10. Barncaster

You can have DPP, light and deep. Pick two.

11. TRexF16

She's all pearly now. Closing in on flake time.
    IMG_8491.JPG
    IMG_8492.JPG

12. Barncaster

Getting closer......

13. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Nice work. Watching intently...
    Hey, what's your strategy for holding the body while spraying? I was thinking of knocking off a copy of the StewMac freehand holder using PVC pipe, but it occurs to me (just now) that PVC might not be strong enough...hmm.

[​IMG]

14. TRexF16

Mr_Q,
    I almost always simply hold the guitar by the PVC hanger in my left hand while I run the spray gun in my right. Makes it easy to hit every nook and cranny. The way I make the PVC paint sticks they are very stiff and plenty strong for the application you are looking at. Two ways (at least) you could go about it:
    1) Make your base with a round rod that fits inside the PVC or
    2) Use a piece of square steel tubing just right for the PVC to slip into, which is how I do it.
    IMG_8494.JPG
    IMG_8495.JPG
    You can see mine isn't too elegant but I rarely actually use it as the Stew Mac stand is used. I mostly just slip the PVC handle into the square tube when I need a third hand to hold the guitar while I'm messing with my spray gun or lacquers.
    I make the PVC holders by heating one end with a heat gun until it's getting a little soft then quickly clamping it in a woodworking vise (flat faces) and hold it there until it sets. Then I drill the flat end for screws and the round end for a wire loop hanger.
    Let me know if you need any more info regarding this.

Cheers,
    Rex

lowatter, Mr_Q, Ekko and 3 others like this.
  15. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Dang that was abrupt! I was expecting DPP flake and the next thing I see is a burst.

I know you were just showing your paint stick, but it took my pea brain a minute to catch up.

Don't do that again!

:confused:

16. TRexF16

Ha, that burst is a long-unfinished Palletcaster project that got sidelined because I got a bunch of checking in the lacquer before I got around to doing the final wet sand. So I was afraid to wet sand it because I thought the moisture might get in under the lacquer and make it even worse. And then I got a new job, and had to spend time in Iraq, etc. etc. Long line of excuses. I finally decided to try to re-shoot it and get the old checks to melt back together, at least long enough to let me wet sand. So, since I have forever relegated my current Harbor Freight purple spray gun to shooting flake (FLAKE!), I had to open the box on one of the three brand new ones on my shelf (hey, at $9.99 I buy one every time they go on sale), take it apart, clean it up and get it working as my new clear shooter. And since tomorrow I need to shoot red lacquer through it to tint the DPP tele, I figured I might as well go ahead and take a shot at getting this burst fixed.
    So I am putting out some production for a change. I'm also finishing up a neck that was the only thing standing in the way of another long-sidelined project. So with good fortune I will have a couple old projects finished up soon to show to you all.

All the best,
    Rex

P.S. interestingly enough, not one of those three brand new Harbor Freight spray guns were the same. They are the same model number, but significant differences. I put the one closest to my current on into service.

Mr_Q and Zepfan like this.
  17. TRexF16

It's pink pearl now - but still needs a little work. I have the new gun I just broke out to replace the designated flake bomber, and I didn't really want to shoot the red through it since I am using it now to spray clear and don't want any color in the gun. So I decided to use the flake bomber to spray the red onto this one. I figured any remaining flake from the testing that sprayed through would be fine since I'm just going to shoot flake next anyway. But I actually got pretty inconsistent color, and in addition to some of the flake coming through, and lying down flat just fine, I got a few bigger chunks that may have been a several flakes stuck together. I'm going to let this sit through the day hanging outside and gently scrape off those aforementioned specks, even up a couple little runs, and re-shoot some more red to even up the base coat. I don't think I will be spraying flake this evening, I want to make sure I have the base coat pretty. Though if I do a good job with the flake it really shouldn't matter.
    IMG_8502.JPG
    Cheers,
    Rex,

18. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Sounds like a plan. Looks good.

19. TRexF16

I just shot the second coat after addressing all the little not-quite-right-isms I mentioned before. It's looking much nicer. I'm going to do one more thin pink coat this evening and I think I'll have a nice base to shoot the flake on. Based on my previous experience, I think I can get the flake done in three coats, four at the most.

20. Barncaster

Sweeeet!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.