OK, it's time for a DPP Tele.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TRexF16, Mar 22, 2019.

1. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Holy Smokes! I'd be crazy not to take you up on that offer! I'll shoot you a PM.
    Rex

2. TRexF16

Actually we are planning to buy it for a family member. It'll need a lot of renovation but I have nothing but time on my hands now, right?

Cheers,
    Rex

Barncaster and crazydave911 like this.
  3. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

I just caught this thread. A few comments: First, your woodworking is so clean! I'm jealous. I always seem to end up with burn marks or bondo filled spots. Second, heed Jupiter's comment about the lacquer sinking. I did a sparkly gold jazzmaster years ago and just last night decided to tear it down and re-sand it because of dimples. Question: when you wet sand, do you do anything to keep water out of the screw holes so the wood doesn't swell there?

4. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

You can use wax (like bees wax) or paste wax to fill the holes. Or do what I do, use mineral spirits instead of water. That also reduces the loading on the sand paper.

Bikersluggo, Barncaster and RLee77 like this.
  5. tewiq

tewiq Tele-Meister

yup mineral spirits, do it outside , but once you try this you will never go back (unless its winter time) it has a smell to deal with, wax also works (for the winter time) :D

Barncaster likes this.
  6. TRexF16

Couple things - I tried changing to mineral spirits and got a far poorer finish than with water so I did go back. I use warm water with a drop or two of dish soap dissolved.
    I used to plug the holes with wax but changed to just not drilling any holes except the neck and bridge holes until after the finish is complete - so fewer worries. Of the neck and bridge holes the only ones that "show" on the finish are the ferrules on the back. I put a bit of tape across them for the main wet sanding of the back, then do a very light dry sand right over those holes, then polish. For the others, I still mask them off but only wet sand up to the point where the bridge and neck plate fully cover - I don't worry about a full polish under the neck or bridge plate. I'll post a little trick I learned for drilling the holes in the cured and polished lacquer - gotta go dig it out from another thread.

Cheers,
    Rex

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Bikersluggo likes this.
  7. TRexF16

8. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

I dripped candle wax into all the holes and used water. I originally built this thing in 2010, so 9 years should be enough to let the lacquer fully cure. I got it all flat and polished in one night. Thanks guys!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.