1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

OK! In the mkt for a 55" TV. So far I like the Sony

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleman1, Feb 27, 2021.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

That is 999 at Costco. It is a full array screen. It has a 120, for the refresh rate. My 1 o yr old Bravia has 240, but no 4k. How much better is this TV than my old Bravia. I think I can be happy for $1000. I just want it fantastic for movies and not giving EYE fatigue. What do you know????? 55" discuss only

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. Bortyeast

Bortyeast Tele-Holic

I have a TCL 55" class 5 TV. 4K, UHD, Dolby Vision, HDR, QLED, already has Roku. Gorgeous picture, all the connections you need. And half the price. It's been reliable for a year or two now.

3. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Good views on angles? or best in front of tv?

4. bendeane

bendeane Tele-Meister

I second the 5 series. Got the 65" and have zero regrets so far. The roku platform blows away any android platform I've ever used. And the latests 4K roku platform supports airplay flawlessly. The 5 series is full-array and you can get the 65" for 300 less than the 55" Sony you're looking at. The 65" 6-series is even better. It was out of my budget and I really wanted a 65", but if you're looking at a $999 TV, I would seriously consider the 6 series.

5. bendeane

bendeane Tele-Meister

If your space is keeping you at 55", the 6 series is where it's at. My friend who has a 6 told me if I couldn't afford the 65" to get the 5 series, but if your budget is $1000, give that 6 series 55" some serious consideration. In our living room, I sit on a couch that makes my viewing angle very wide and I don't have any issues. Watched some Avengers movies with all 4 living room window curtains wide open, and it had brightness to spare.

Tommy Biggs and teleman1 like this.
  6. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I have a Samsung 4D that size. It wasn’t $1k though. More like half that. Picture is great. Sound is a little lacking. Bought a sound bar that only helped a little. Replaced a Sony Bravia. It was still good. A little bulkier. Also had more noise. A little hum.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  7. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

I won't buy any more Sony electronics.

Justjammin likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

We have a nine year old Phillips 55" in the living room, we bought a 43" Samsung for the bedroom a couple of years ago. We had a Phillips 36" in the bedroom for about ten years, my wife gave it to her painting partner, and she's been using it since we got the 43" for the bedroom. What I'm saying is, once you get it where you want it, I don't think it makes much difference what kind it is. We keep the screens clean on the televisions, and our monitors, I think that affects the viewing as much as anything.

9. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted

I've got a 58" Samsung 4K. Got it at Costco for about $500.

I like the LG and Samsung stuff a lot.

10. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I was figuring TCL is like the affinity of Fender?

11. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

We've had good luck with Samsung and LG. Samsung once sent a repair guy to out house - 40 miles from the nearest city - for free, even though the warranty had expired.

One of the Sonys we had a while back developed a screen issue - irritating, but not crippling. We took that as evidence that Sony is not necessarily worth the premium price. A broken $500 tv is much less discouraging than a $1000 one.

12. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I'm not crazy about the new Samsung touch remotes. Are they all like that now?

13. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Afflicted

Times two on LG TV's. We've always had good luck with them, Vizio is a good buy for the money as well.

14. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch Tele-Meister

One of the biggest factors right now is whether you plan to hook a PS5 or new Xbox up to it - those require HDMI 2.1, and that starts to come in on the $900-ish price bracket. No idea what applications it may have in the future, but I personally try and buy tech that should last me 10 years without being hopelessly outdated.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  15. YYZman

YYZman TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

No. It depends on the model.

We recently bought a 55” Samsung 7 series (TU7000 I think) and it has the normal remote. The 8000 and up use the new style.

For the ~$500 we paid for the Samsung, it is amazing, and it seems to keep up nicely with everything that the kids’ PS5 throws at it.
    One advantage of the Samsung and a few others is that they have built in Apple TV and other streaming apps, which saved having to buy another box and use up another HDMI port.

16. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Take a look at the LG 4K OLED 55 inch. The color, black level, and viewing angles are outstanding.
    You can buy a Sony OLED, but the screen is actually manufactured by LG. I bought mine just over a year ago and couldn't be happier. The only caveat is that the OLED panels are super thin, a bit fragile, and moving them around requires caution.

Tommy Biggs, uriah1 and teleman1 like this.
  17. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

btt

18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya. Sony

19. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have 2 55" Samsung's and one 65" Samsung, 2 are 4K, one is 3D, they all are excellent, the oldest is 11 years, zero issues.... That's all I know.... :)

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  20. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

TCL TVs are a great bang for your buck, and the built-in Roku has a great UI (as opposed to the nightmare that is the Amazon Firestick). I have a 75" 6 series in my living room and a 43" 4 series in my garage.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.