OK, I'm Just Not a Tele Guy

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by raysachs, Jan 26, 2020.

1. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

b

2. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

unfortunely you are not the only one facing this dilemma. Many others have paced the floor bit their nails over ate ice cream for the exact same reason. The good news is it will pass, maybe

3. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

It didn’t stop me from playing, I was just never playing IT. It’s been that way with every tele I’ve ever had on a wall next to a strat. I once had a tele with no strat for about 3-4 months, played it all the time, loved it. Added a strat, and after a brief period of playing both, the tele sat there untouched. In other cases I’ve added a tele when I already had a strat, played it a good bit for a month or two honeymoon period, then just never really did. But when it’s sitting there I think about t, feel guilty about not playing it, pick it up once in a while out of a sense of obligation, like it just fine, but then probably don’t touch it for another couple months. They’ve caused me more angst than pleasure. No point in that. With one electric, my mind is clear, I don't think about gear, I just pick it up and play. I get that this is not how most folks around here would ever want to do it, but it seems to work well for me... Maybe forever, maybe not. I did it this way for 25 years before GAS was a concept I was even aware of. As long as I’m good like this, I’m gonna stick with it...

-Ray

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    boris bubbanov likes this.
  4. Fishin Musician

Fishin Musician TDPRI Member

I LOVE the way A Strat feels. Smooth contours,light, so I buy them, but then can't get the sound I want, so I modify them, can't get them to sound like a Tele, so I sell them. Then I buy another ..... currently have my 7th Strat, now with 2 P90's. I like it a lot, but its for sale....

5. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Well, as for alcoolisme, the first step is to be able to confess it...
    As for myself, I like to have one of each kind: a custom shop ‘56 strat, a ‘52 telecaster RI, a ´56 Les Paul with P90, a Gretsch Contry ´n Gents...

6. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Strats are more comfy for snuggling up to your pot belly.

I’ve tested it.

pickaguitar likes this.
  7. JTStivers

JTStivers TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

This is the best post response I have ever seen, and I'm as old as dirt!

titan uranus likes this.
  8. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

That's fine. For me I fine that there are applications where my Strat didn't cut it. I'm currently playing in a large band with a horn section and my Strat didn't cut it. Brought my TELE to next rehearsal and the band said wow! It comes down to different tools for different applications. BTW I play my Strat almost exclusively at home.

9. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

And I play almost exclusively at home at this point in my life, so it all comes into focus and perhaps makes sense... ;)

Then again, when I was young and playing out a lot, the only electric I owned was a strat and I never had a problem then either. So maybe it's just down to what I like. But in fairness I never played with a full horn section either, an occasional sax player on the stage, but not full horn arrangements...

-Ray

Rich724 likes this.
  10. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Pervert... get outta here, NOW!!!! :mad:

(PS. I'd quite like a Strat too, but shhhhhhh, don't tell anyone.)

raysachs likes this.
  11. NBS2005

NBS2005 TDPRI Member

Picked up a 60's style rosewood neck and put it on my MIJ Strat body with CS pups about 3 weeks ago. Damn. I sold my Esquired CV Tele and am now a two guitar guy with a Marc Rutters/TV Jones pupped Tele. Still about 50/50 in playing but I'm not sue where this is going to go.......

raysachs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.