OK, I'm Just Not a Tele Guy

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by raysachs, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

I was so distraught when I first saw this post. Are there really people out there who don’t like Telecasters? And prefer a Strat over them?? Blasphemy!! Please say it isn’t so...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    superjam144 and raysachs like this.
  2. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I hear you. I have a 60's Baja Tele. It's about all the tele I need and don't see myself needing another. I play my Strats much more. I have a couple other guitars too but my Strat, that I've decked, is the one I leave around the house to play & learn songs with. It gets a lot of action lately. Plays great, tonal variety, and it's real comfortable to play on a couch, chair, standing, gigging...wherever & whenever.

I'm not selling my Tele but don't feel like I owe it anything.

raysachs likes this.
  3. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

you play what you are comfortable with. And if you don't want or can't afford a herd, then thin out what you don't need, i respect that.

I am the opposite, every time I get a strat, i love it for a while, then it gathers dust, then i sell or trade it. I have been beating on teles for so long that every time i play a strat, i knock the switch down to the bridge selection, no matter how hard i try not to! so then i put it down and grab a tele.

Enjoy your strats! more teles for the rest of us. oh and perhaps join a SDPRI forum??? :D

4. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I don't know of anyone here who doesn't like telecasters. I like 'em a lot. But, yeah, I clearly do prefer strats over them. To the point that owning a nice tele is kind of wasted on me. Sorry to cause distraught-ness. I trust you'll get past it...

-Ray

Rockinvet and BramptonRob1958 like this.
  5. oopsimeltednitro

oopsimeltednitro TDPRI Member

In the back of your head, aren't you sure this will happen one Friday night? You know out with friends drinking/dancing ...random dude on stage blazes a piercing lick ... you know without even looking its an old black guard ... end up in guitar store next morning... another tele goes home with you...

;)

I like strats too haha.

raysachs and SheldonP like this.
  6. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Thanks Ray, all in fun. I love em all. And actually do gig with my strat.

raysachs likes this.
  7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

It does. And it works for a lot of players.

As do Teles.

And Les Pauls.

And ES-335s, Ibanez guitars, on and on.

I don't understand your point?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  8. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The person that started this thread said he just wants to play a Stratocaster. The point is for those who enjoy a Stratocaster it’s a great guitar.

9. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I can't see any disagreement with that

10. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

In my opinion, the fast playability of a non-50s / slim neck profile on a Strat can act as a encouragement to pick it up over a tele with full neck profile such as a Baja, or even Roadworn ‘50s or Classic Series ‘50s.

However, on the tone side of things, a Strat cannot replicate a Tele bridge pickup or Tele neck and bridge combination, and with these choices on my tele I get *lost* in the music of the moment, and forget and don’t care what kind of guitar I’m playing or if something else would do better - but it’s happening consistently on a tele with slim neck profile, not a fat ‘50s, as much as I admire the latter.

11. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

With the nice variety of neck profiles available for either Strat or Tele, I don’t associate either guitar with any particular neck. You can have either guitar any way you want it.

With a Strat, you can wire the switch to combine neck and bridge pickups which I prefer over the typical “2” or “4” positions. My Nashville Tele is wired that way.

Many would claim that the Strat's best tone comes from its neck pickup and that the Tele's best tone comes from its bridge pickup. A great argument can be made for combining a Strat neck pickup with a Tele bridge pickup. Easiest way to do that is to add a Strat neck pickup to a Tele body!

As for tones, all in one guitar, the Nashville is an awesome alternative choice. Put in the Strat pickups of your choice, at neck and middle positions, and the Tele bridge pickup of your choice, wire it to be able to combine neck and bridge together, and you've got the best of both worlds, tonally. Bolt on whatever neck and fretboard combination you fancy and, voila - one heck of a versatile and great guitar.

My favorite Strat tones come from the Strat's neck and middle pickups. And I love the Tele bridge pickup. Here they are, all together. A Nashville makes this very easy. But this can be done with any Tele body, with a small bit of routing and a new pick guard.
    [​IMG]

Another, slightly different, but very versatile tonal combination is Tele neck pickup, Strat middle pickup, and Tele bridge pickup, again wired to allow combining the Tele neck and bridge pickups together:
    [​IMG]

As for body shapes, the Strat is just a tiny bit more 'slippery' than I might prefer. And the Tele body is a tiny bit more 'square' than I might prefer. BUT WAIT: Some Teles have the contoured back feature, which brings about a really great blend of Stratty contour and Tele stability on the lap. (I play sitting.) I have several Teles with the contoured back and they are my favorite solid-body guitars, for sure - great comfort and balance for playing while sitting.

In any event, I think whatever Ray is happiest having and playing is exactly what he should have and enjoy! Life is short - and I'm glad that Ray is making it just as he would like it to be.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  12. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

First, as Don (Dhart) notes, there are enough neck options for both teles and strats you can get them to play as similarly or differently as you want. I don't believe either is easier or harder to play - I can forget which one I'm playing when I'm deep enough into the music.

And you're right that the Strat cannot replicate a tele bridge pickup or the neck/bridge combination. Although there are some strats with bridge pickups that get fairly close and it's not hard work to include a "neck on" switch that easily enables the strat to use the neck / bridge combination. But, granted, a strat will never sound quite like a tele. Conversely, the tele, to my ears, is only clearly tonally unique in the bridge only position. The strat has sounds in the 2, 3, 4, and 5 positions that the tele can't replicate. Of those, I find the strat neck pickup to have at least a big a gap to the tele neck pickup as the tele has over the strat in the bridge position. And the 2 & 4 are totally unique to the strat and either you love them or you don't. The 3 is also pretty unique but not as well loved generally.

So there are pros and cons on both platforms, but ultimately it comes down to what you like, to personal preference. To me as much as I like a tele bride pickup with a bit of dirt, I like the strat neck pickup far more - personal preference. I can get the same type of sound as the tele neck pickup on a strat in either the 4 or 5 position and rolling the tone off to one degree or another. But I absolutely LOVE the 2 and 4 positions on a strat - I spend more time in the 4 than I spend in bed. Again, it's just personal preference, but that combination of warm but funky sounding options hits me directly in my guitar playing soul. Which is all any of us are really after.

So neither is superior - they're different. Some of us may like them both equally. Others clearly like one more than the other, but have plenty of room for both. And some of us choose one or the other. I chose one because, after plenty of tries, I just found I didn't play the other. Despite liking it plenty.

-Ray

twangdude likes this.
  13. Frankie Lee

Frankie Lee TDPRI Member

Wow! So I'm currently playing in a classic rock band and do mostly Jersey Shore Bar gigs, the boarwalk and some concerts. Due to the mix of music we play, I kind of have to play a guitar with the humbucker sound and tone through a Marshall so I use the SG a lot. It's also light in weight to hang on my shoulder all night. But, when we do Stevie Ray or some other Strat tunes, I must grab my strat as its tuned down a half step. I guess I'm saying it all depends on the song in my case. I love my blond 62 Reissue Tele on Country Songs and that neck is so sweet! But i really dig my Sunburst Strat as my Go to guitar. Nothing else is like my NY Strat and it's so fat and clean with those Seymour Ds. My Red SG is simply light and versatile. The light burst Les Paul doesn't leave the home studio. So to me, they're like woman. I love the Blonds, Brunettes and Redheads! All great and a lot of fun !!!!!!! Frankie Lee

raysachs likes this.
  14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ray, unless a certain Esquire or Telecaster is truly one of a kind, like that one from Clarence White that Marty has, I don't think it would be "wasted" on you. Wasted is when the guy can't play doesn't play at all. And even then, there's IMO a crazy surplus of really nice ones going unplayed. I've got the makings of another 20 of T types and I just can't quite get them finished and even that's not really a big deal.

In my view. Unless a guitar somehow stops you from playing much at all, it isn't doing any harm.

15. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Guards, seize him!

superjam144 likes this.
  16. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

That’s ok. We forgive you.

17. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

just love the title to this thread...can not get enough of it BRig (2).jpg

18. Prince1999

Prince1999 TDPRI Member

They make hardtail strats, too.

Heck, you can buy a Chris Shifflet "Foofighters" MIM Telecaster with a body cut, two humbuckers, and a Strat headstock, and a Strat hardtail bridge. But the body is still Alder, the pickups don't hum, the fretboard is rosewood, not maple, 12" radius, and it actually likes a little gain and reverb for some "crunch". I haven't figured out how to make it quack, yet, probably not possible. Needs that middle single wound pickup?

19. superjam144

superjam144 TDPRI Member

But those are the bad guys....

20. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

delete

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.