OK, I'm Just Not a Tele Guy

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by raysachs, Jan 26, 2020.

1. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

For sure, to each their own. Just about figuring out what that IS...

We're not on the banks, though - further south, outside of Wilmington. One of our daughters lives down here and it's really nice in the winter...

NewKid and stratoman1 like this.
  2. Thanasis

Thanasis TDPRI Member

Well at least you tried before realising that telecasters weren't for you. Respect. But don't come here expecting anyone to convince you out of buying another telecaster either through violence or gentle persuasion.

3. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I hear you @raysachs. Having owned 20+ Teles over the years, I was once a "Tele Guy" without a doubt. Actually started there on electric. At one point didn't really see any need for anything else but usually had a couple of different types from which to choose. Had 11 Teles at one time. Played em all. That was when, as they say.

Not unlike you or so it sounds, around here over the last two or three years I've noticed the telecasters gradually getting more scarce, leaving just one in the music room currently. My beloved '08 Road Worn 50s. Blondie. Superb guitar. Plays itself. Some don't like the level of fake relicing on the earliest of that series and I respect that but those are the best players, imo. So it's still here and has been my open G guitar from the day after I saw the Stones a few years ago. Couple of Stratocasters have now entered and have become favoured. A Partscaster (strat body/tele neck), too.

And if that wasn't egregious enough, I don't think I've played any other electric this year than my oh-so-sweet honeyburst LP Tribute T.

Started off hoping to offer the necessary batch of neighborly support...guess this turned into some sort of a confessional? Admittedly first time for this Jewish kid.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    NewKid and raysachs like this.
  4. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I had to double check which forum I'm on before commenting. TDPRI. So:
    Look at it from a functional point of view. These guitars are our tools. If you had nothing in your toolbox but hammers, you would be limited to the repairs that you can do. It's the same with guitars. I need a variety of them in order to play all the types of music I enjoy. So some of the necessary "tools" here would be a Strat (or two), a Tele (or two), A Les Paul (or two), a Gretsch (or two)..... You get my drift?

5. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I get your drift - I'm just more limited than that. I end up sounding pretty much the same regardless of what I'm playing, but just a little better with a little more flavor (to my ears anyway) on the strat. What I seem to do with other guitars is just failed attempts to sound more like a strat, so why bother?

I can respect folks who can take advantage of lot's of different guitars, different sounds. But then most of my favorite players, BB, Garcia, Hendrix, Derek Trucks, Robert Cray, both Vaughans, etc, pretty much played one guitar all the time and did OK with them. But, to each their own is ultimately the point. I just seem to have figured out what "my own" is, finally, after a lot of experimentation...

-Ray

6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

have Carvin j22 in neck of LP, starting to grow on me

7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i'm into amps,,thinking 2:1 ratio of guitars to amps is a good spread. Used to have more amps then guitars..now the guitars are rolling in..

8. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

My oldest friend lives in Leland, his brother in Wilmington. I like it down there myself. If I ever had a really strong urge to pack up and move I'd take a good look there

raysachs likes this.
  9. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 TDPRI Member

Ray, I totally understand your thought process. I’ve been playing on and off since I was a teen! About 18 months ago the only guitar I had left was a Martin. No amp, no Tele, Strat or any electric but I knew I wanted back in lol.

Fortunately, our local music chain in Canada has a good return policy or I’d be broke! At the end of my crazy journey I ended up with an AVRI 58 Tele, an American Deluxe Strat (that I thought I wouldn’t keep or like) turns out I like Strats! Who knew! A 60’s Les Paul Standard and an FSR Squire Esquire from the UK. I love them all and they’re like children. All unique with their own personalities.

When I was in my teens I had a Tele and a Les Paul...so the bases are covered at least for now... lol.

I must admit, my wife and part of me would like to be more like you! Find your true love and be faithful. I guess I just like harems.

congrats on finding your true love.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    raysachs likes this.
  10. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

A Tele and at least one hardtail Strat? Now, you’re talking! ;)

11. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Ray, I've been aware of a bit of a struggle that you've had over different guitars for a few years now. You've really been at it, hard. Though, not very contentedly. But through it all, I know that the Strat has always been your mainstay. And you've always stated that.

If you're happy now, shedding all other guitars and just playing Strats, there's nothing wrong with that - if it's right, for you and pleases you! Now you can stop spending any time or energy (or money) on different guitars.

I was a 'Strat guy' for decades. Teles were the farthest thing from my interest. No draw to them, for me, at all. The Strat was my guitar, for sure.

But once I allowed a Tele a small foothold in my door, I've definitely swung the other way. My Strats (I have four) mostly sit idle now. Well, there is one that sees more play than the other three - it's the 'different' one, the one that has a pair of HS FIlter'trons in it!

Of course I still very much enjoy Strats; and I always will. But Teles have easily taken over the spot of feeling most 'right' for me, between the two models. (I have 14 Teles, now. :eek:)

As for Strats, or Teles, being more difficult (or challenging?) to play, or more difficult to sound great playing - I've never felt that way about either one of them at all. I can pick either one up and just zing away, quite happily. Neither model 'challenges' me any more than any other guitar does. In fact, I find Fenders quite easy to play and get great tones from, when set-up well.

We differ in that I really enjoy playing a variety of different instruments: Teles, Strats, PRS, and a variety of different hollow and semi-hollow guitars (Gibsons, Epiphones, D'Angelico, PRS). Each one inspires me in different ways.

If NEED be, I could exist just fine with just one guitar (though I have no idea what guitar that would be - perhaps a Tele), but I much prefer having and playing the variety - it just 'works' for me. :)

There is no right, nor wrong about any of this - just whatever we individually choose for our happiness.

raysachs and Hiker like this.
  12. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

Most guys seemed to like Ginger but if I were trapped on the island with her and Maryanne it would be no contest at all. I’d take Maryanne. I thought Ginger was high maintenance and ugly and full of herself.

I never bonded with a strat. They are cool guitars. Never could put my finger on why. I tried several and gave up.

I never liked the Les Paul until I get one recently and now it’s the one I reach for the most. I am at a loss to explain certain things like this. I still am not a Les Paul fan but it’s my favorite guitar. I have no way to reconcile this contradiction.

Maryanne is different. It’s just obvious that she’s hotter than Ginger. If she were here right now I’d be frozen and unable to speak I’d be so smitten.

13. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Maryanne digs guys who play strats... ;) ;) ;)

NewKid likes this.
  14. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I never really questioned that I was primarily a strat guy, Don. I wondered about it when I was first getting back into playing and had a brief run with humbucker guitars. What took me a while was to get back to the point of feeling that, as I was for 25 years, before I got GAS as a concept, that I’m still / again a single electric guitar guy and clearing out all of the extraneous stuff makes me more content rather than less. I had to try owning a few for a while to realize it wasn’t really for me. I’ll never be more than a sort of OK player, but I feel like I’m a better, or at least more focused, player when i can’t distract myself thinking about the gear.

I don’t recommend this for ANYBODY else - it’s just a personal recognition that took me a while to get back to. It’s no surprise at all that if I was GONNA be a one electric guy, the one would be a strat. Oh, and I totally agree with you about strats and teles being equally easy or hard to play and make sound good. When I played the tele, I ended up sounding like I was playing a more limited strat but a great sounding one. The only unique sound I care about on the tele was the overdriven bridge pickup and I can get close enough to that on the strat, particularly on the Silver Sky, which has a remarkably good bridge pickup. I’m not really into “twang”, which probably is all that’s needed to understand my preference. Whereas there are about three unique strat sounds that I use all the time that don’t exist on the tele. But when I’m losing myself in playing, I couldn’t tell you which I was playing if I didn’t look down to see.

I wouldn’t mind getting back to one acoustic also, but I don’t think that’s gonna happen. I love the aesthetic and feel and sound of wood too much not to have one, and I love the practicality, the playability, and the sound of carbon fiber too much not to have one of those too. Having one of each, one short scale, one full scale, doesn’t seem to create the distraction of multiple electrics. When humidity conditions are favorable, I mostly play the wood Martin and leave it out. When humidity conditions aren’t good, I generally leave the Martin in the case with humidipaks and grab the carbon fiber Emerald off the wall... it comes out pretty close to 50-50 and doesn’t take much thought or distract me from the playing...

-Ray

DHart likes this.
  15. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The
    Stratocaster seems to be working just fine for Jeff Beck.

raysachs likes this.
  16. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Meister

I have always been a strat player, but lately 75% of the time I’ll grab one of my teles. :)

raysachs likes this.
  17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And here I was feeling mildly guilty for having 6 Teles in constant rotation, and I havent played my two lovely Strats in a year.

Not that guilty, though, because I do like choices. Even if I always choose the same thing.

raysachs likes this.
  18. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I loaned my Player Strat to a friend for two weeks. I didn't think I would miss it but I'm counting the days until it comes back. I really hope he doesn't offer to buy it from me.

raysachs likes this.
  19. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

I am almost opposite of you. I played Strats exclusively for about 15-20 years, always hoping to get a Tele someday. Well about three years ago I got my first Tele. Now, I say to myself, "You really ARE a Strat guy, you should play the Strat tonight." I get it out and start missing my Tele. So, now, I am neglecting my Strat. But, I cannot bear to part with it.

raysachs likes this.
  20. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

I would play a strat and sell my other guitars for her. But to be honest, when she went to sleep I’d stream some video at YouPaul.com for a while and then go wake her up.

raysachs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.