OK, I'll sign up already. You got me.

player-grade-tele

NEW MEMBER!
Long time lurker, finally signing up.

My guitar is a mystery tele. I bought it (around $300) in 1988 at South Austin Music in Austin Texas. It has no finish, that is to say, it had been completely sanded free of paint when I bought it and I've never painted or finished it. It's bare wood. It has a CBS serial number from 1983. As I've been able to find here on TDPRI, FMIC used up the existing stock of serial number stickers on their new product in the mid 1980s, making the serial number dating unreliable for a few years. The strings are through the body, indicating that it was made after the FMIC takeover. The bridge is the one with six individual, adjustable saddles. So it's not an AVRI. But it has two string trees, a pre-FMIC feature. My best guess is that it is from the start-up phase of FMIC and the string trees are a left-over from the CBS days. It's been extensively modified, but I've never had the neck off, so I haven't seen the neck stamp. Currently it has Schaller tuners and straplocks, a Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder in the neck and a phase reversal switch.

Anyway, here are some photos.

I've picked up many, many tips in these forums. It's a little embarrassing that it has taken me this long to join.

Attachments

• IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 69

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Welcome aboard, start a second thread something like “dating mystery tele” in the tele discussion forum and you’ll have answers in no time if they don’t show up here

You really played that bad boy! Look at that body wear by the bridge!

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
Needs an ashtray bridge!! But that is a REALLY nice looking Tele. Unusual to see polepieces at the neck - I like it!!

Welcome :)

Call Me Al

Tele-Holic
Welcome! No insights but if it plays good it is good! 👍

I’d also like to see more of that Yamaha BB. Nice basses! There’s a bass forum here too :)

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Long time lurker, finally signing up.

My guitar is a mystery tele. I bought it (around $300) in 1988 at South Austin Music in Austin Texas. It has no finish, that is to say, it had been completely sanded free of paint when I bought it and I've never painted or finished it. It's bare wood. It has a CBS serial number from 1983. As I've been able to find here on TDPRI, FMIC used up the existing stock of serial number stickers on their new product in the mid 1980s, making the serial number dating unreliable for a few years. The strings are through the body, indicating that it was made after the FMIC takeover. The bridge is the one with six individual, adjustable saddles. So it's not an AVRI. But it has two string trees, a pre-FMIC feature. My best guess is that it is from the start-up phase of FMIC and the string trees are a left-over from the CBS days. It's been extensively modified, but I've never had the neck off, so I haven't seen the neck stamp. Currently it has Schaller tuners and straplocks, a Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder in the neck and a phase reversal switch.

Anyway, here are some photos.

I've picked up many, many tips in these forums. It's a little embarrassing that it has taken me this long to join.
welcome pilgrim. pull up some dirt and have seat.
you may have made a decision that may or may not be transformative. Who knows it's a funny old world, ain't it.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Welcome to the TDPRI!

Make yourself at home!

And thanks for posting your pictures. Makes me want to remove the Tidepool blue color from my Telecaster.