OK, I think I'm ready to share two songs... How do I do that? LOL.

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by FortyEight, Sep 29, 2020.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

I can export a wav file from audacity but when I tried to upload directly from my computer to here, it wouldn't allow that. I mean they are big files..... The only ones I can see when going in to download direct are the actual songs in audacity. No exported wav files.

2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Post them to SoundCloud and then give us the link. SoundCloud is free and very simple.

3. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

SoundClick is also another free option.

4. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

I use Soundcloud - they give you about 3 free hrs of music (at least for stereo WAV files). They are said to be touchy about copyright, and you do have to register to use it.

D.H.

suthol likes this.
  5. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

SoundCloud is probably the best way to share directly because it converts your uploaded WAV (non-lossy, large) file into a smaller, compressed stream, admittedly lossy, but most folks are Ok with that. The "shareable link" to your music upload will generate an embedded music player that you see in probably most of the postings over in the Twanger Central forum, and is a lot easier to email to friends than a large file. Just create an account and upload your WAV file(s). It has some drawbacks, like the spammers/scammers trying to get you to pay for (fake) listens, but still a good place to start sharing your music to your friends.

If, OTOH, what you want is exposure, and especially "discoverability," then YouTube is a better venue. You just have to create a video file, and [too] many music videos are simply static images in front of an MP3 upload. But, a billion people are looking for stuff to watch, where there's only a small fraction of that searching on SoundCloud.

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

To upload to YooToob you need a YT account. And you must convert MP3s and WAVs to video format.

It's dead-nuts simple. Go here: https://www.onlineconverter.com/audio-to-video

Select your audio file. It will upload and you can download it to your browser's downloads folder. Drag that file out of the downloads folder and upload it to your channel on YT.

However: before you upload your audio to the converter, use a simple image processing app to create a splash page that contains the name of the tune and any other info you'd like the listener to know about you or the tune. Save the image and upload it along with the converted audio file.

It will look something like this:

7. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

OK. Interesting. So.. I think soundcloud is the better way to go until I'm done. I have had grand schemes of making a video for my Mom and son to help with it being like a present to them. That was probably confusing the first two songs I wrote were intended for family members to be played on their birthdays at the end of october. So once I'm done with the mixing / mastering my wife might be able to help me put some pics to the songs. I've seen her do this with a few things for her work.

But I wanted to get input on here about the mix of them currently. I'm still trying to figure out how to get them "mastered" but I have a few ideas from people locally on that. But I'm sort of clueless about that.

My pastor is super into music and he said he has a guy that "masters" his songs for 60 bucks a song. But he said he send him a wave file of the song and he "masters" it. I was under the assumption "mastering" was part of the process of putting effects on tracks and if someone was going to master it they would need all the tracks. But I think he and I have a different working definition of mixing. I'm pretty sure he's saying the effects go on in the "mixing" process. I gotta clarify that with him.

How do you guys understand it?

8. chris m.

I would think that in order to properly master you need all of the individual tracks on individual .wav files. Here's my mastering process on REAPER. I get every track sounding good. I pan each track to where I want it in the stereo mix. I adjust volume levels as needed over the course of the song to keep levels balanced where I want them. I futz a little with EQ, reverb, and compression as needed on each individual channel. I suppose some people would call all of these steps part of the mixing process.

Then I go to the master track and I apply an FX to it-- compression-- that comes for free with REAPER by Cockos. Their compression effect has a number of presets including a couple of different mastering pre-sets. These are somewhat mystical, magical (to me, anyway) compression algorithms that just knit and blend all of the tracks together nicely, making everything sound more polished and finished. I am typically very happy with the results of one or the other pre-set, and so I'm good to go-- "mastered" at that point. Maybe that's all the guy is doing, in which case in theory he can just apply a compression algorithm to the final mixed .wav file. But that presumes you did all the mixing steps ahead of time.

But even so, I would think that a serious track mastering engineer would still want the individual tracks. Because when they apply their mastering juju, the final product might have the bass too forward in the mix, for example. So to fix that they would go back to that track, back off it's volume just a scoche, and then run the mastering algorithm again to see if the final product sounds right. Without the ability to iterate between the mixing and the mastering it might be much harder to achieve an optimal final mastering.

I would also say that mastering can be total BS-- the final product is totally in the eye of the beholder. Our band did a four song demo at Castaway 7 Studios in Ventura about a year ago. The engineer there did an amazing job of creating really nice sounding products. One of the band members encouraged us to then send off the tracks to a mastering guru. In my opinion the tracks sounded better before the mastering than after. I like what the first engineer did better than what the second engineer did. I guess the first engineer's ears work more like mine. The mastering process leaves a lot of latitude for altering the way the final track sounds....but you might not actually like the changes that the mastering engineer makes. If you're spending $60 a song I would expect some kind of iterative process where you are able to go back and forth with the mastering engineer for at least a few different iterations so you can give feedback and end up with something that sounds good to YOU, not necessarily what sounds good to the engineer.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  9. chris m.

One downside of converting to video and then uploading to YouTube is that video files can end up being way larger than a simple .mp3 or .wav file and then it takes much longer to upload. I've made some iMovie videos of the family and then uploaded them to YouTube and even a relatively short video took hours instead of minutes to upload over a fast cable connection. But I do agree that a YouTube video is much more likely to be browsed by casual browsers....

10. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Wow, thanks for the input.

OK, I think my pastor and I are just using different working definitions but I agree with you that you would think mastering would include some kind of ability to adjust the mix. But who knows. I'm new to all this. The other guy I knew when I asked him how much to "master" a song wanted all the tracks. Plus it was a boat load more money. LOL. 250 a song. He's a guy I played with back in the day and built up his own studio and does it for a living. So I understand his need to make money.

I'm also with you about the mastering subjectivity. I don't even think these songs I got sound all that bad with just being mixed. But when I listen to "real" music on the radio I can tell there's something silky and compressed going on with them. At least I think. LOL.

11. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You don’t need individual tracks to master. Mastering is a process where a sound engineer applies compression and equalization to the final mix in order to make the sound more consistent across different listening mediums. Also they usually try to pump the level up a little bit.

If you have a recording that sounds very different in the car than it does on headphones, then mastering might be necessary.

When we would send a final mix to be mastered, whether we were recording Pro Tools, 2” tape, or ADATs, we never sent individual tracks to the mastering engineer. Now, I use the master track in GarageBand to make those adjustments. Usually I scoop out a dB or a little less out of the midrange, bump the highs a touch, add some overall compression, and increase the level of the entire track just a little bit.

studio likes this.
  12. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

OK, thank you for that. It seems my Pastor is on the same page with you. This guy has been in successful bands for a long time and seems to know his stuff so I was thinking I was the one with the wrong idea. He's a nice guy too.

13. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

What he said. Sounds straightforward, but in practice it's excruciatingly complex. Start with baby steps (comp, eq, limiter) and work up. You can have quite a few stages, but the key is don't overdo it at any stage — keep every tweak subtle.

Skully likes this.
  14. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

I remembered I had a cousin that does this stuff so I think he's mastering the first two songs. I gotta learn how to mix more and do more with effects. I'm not into lots of effects for the most part. But I recorded the guitar and vocals on my next song in my new room in the basement I set up and the sound is definitely drier than upstairs. Which is good but the vocals may need a bit of zhwadavive. However you would spell that in french. LOL. A little reverb maybe.

15. chris m.

joie de vivre-- "Joy of living".... Vivre= the verb "to live" as in "Vive La France".

Maybe you just need a little "je ne sais quoi"= "I don't know what"....

16. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Nice. And you're not even from Canada.... :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.