OK, I am going to say it, Elvis

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by teleman1, Jan 21, 2020.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

"There was a lot of history before Love Me Do."

and just because they had good influences doesn't mean they weren't bubblegum fluff

2. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

i do not disagree with OP here. definitely prefer Little Richard.

El Tele Lobo and teleman1 like this.
  3. blowtorch

over the beetles? oh, no doubt

4. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

well, now that you mention it. that too. haha

El Tele Lobo and blowtorch like this.
  5. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

There were probably even too many singers, musicians and players who were "better" than him. It doesn't matter and nobody cares.

It's called popular music for a reason.

50m.jpg

buddyboy and StrangerNY like this.
  6. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Who was the lack of acceptance? If you are talking about the "adults of the day" then you are missing the fact that a decade earlier the "adults of the day" had no interest in Elvis either ;)

I don't disagree but does it matter? Being the best has never had anything to do with success (on that degree)... you just need to be good enough. It has always been, and will always be about making money.

I might not be a big Elvis fan myself... but I can appreciate why he was as big as he was!

Wildcard_35 and teleman1 like this.
  7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Elvis was a helluva singer though. He had that "honey voice" tone wise. Decent range.

Range and screaming ain't everything. Many out there can sing the notes, what your average listener is into is something pleasing, or more unique or different. Take Rod Stewart for instance, Tom Waits, Tom Petty Etc.

8. Joeyb817

Joeyb817 TDPRI Member

When Elvis did the “Aloha” show in 1973 over a billion people worldwide watched it live.

suthol likes this.
  9. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Oddly, I know next to nothing about Elvis and his music... That's weird when I think about it...

10. blowtorch

I see Dino is your avatar.
    Elvis really just wanted to be Dean Martin

(and Captain Marvel Jr)

gwjensen likes this.
  11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

gwjensen and VWAmTele like this.
  12. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

You can't measure Elvis (or anyone else really) on any kind of music scale - the music was good, absolutely right for the times and the biggest factor: girls wanted to be with Elvis, boys wanted to be Elvis.
    I'm an Elvis fan but I admit, if he looked like Bill Halley - his career and legacy would have been quite different.

sonicsmitty, Larmo63 and blowtorch like this.
  13. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

there are times when one should speak, and times when one should not.

Frodebro, teleman1 and Allan Allan like this.
  14. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Elvis was a great performer and he quickly became an icon far beyond his music. For that to happen, a whole lot of things had to converge, and converge they did. Many of those convergences have nothing to do with Elvis's musical or performing talent or his virtues at all but with his being at the right place, time, look, race, social obscurity (e.g., Little Rickie Nelson, son of Ozzie and Harriet, could never have whipped people up the way a nobody from nowhere with a science fiction name could), etc. These convergences aren't Elvis's fault nor are they to his credit. They just happened, and he reaped the benefits and costs. The same things could be said of the Beatles, though the particular mix of factors for the two phenomena are different.

As for who is better, Little Richard, Elvis Presley, Beatles, Stones, etc., it depends on what you value. I like Bo Diddley better than any of them, but who cares?

15. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Elvis is the king of rock and roll. all comparisons falter.

buddyboy, f69tele, Larmo63 and 3 others like this.
  16. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

You can argue his vocal quality, material used, genre, was he or wasn't he a good guitar player and so on till your blue in the face.

It all misses the point, the simple fact is Elvis had something, the X factor that none of the others had and VERY few have since.

Little Richard sometimes/nearly had it while performing and maybe had it off stage? Jerry Lee Lewis had great songs and performance but never had it.

Chuck Berry was an awesome player, performer and musician but never really had it.

The Beatles had it in their performance and song writing but not as people, though I concede Paul might have a bit in real life.

Elvis had it while performing, when not performing, in his sleep even.

I have no idea what it was, a form of sexuality perhaps? but i'm presuming it was looks, his movement, intonation, swagger, confidence etc.

X Factor through and through.

Almost EVERY artist of the time wanted to meet him. From the Beatles to Led Zep and most that did were thrilled to have done so AND STILL reminisce about it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  17. sk25

sk25 Tele-Meister

When it comes down to it, musicians' opinions on who was "better" or more deserving of fame, like it or not, just DO. NOT. MATTER. So much of the music people on this website praise is, when you step back and distance yourself from nostalgia/technical skill/telecaster playing, really pretty dull and uninteresting.

I see this in the metal community all the time. Super high speed, intense, highly technical players complain that the laid back, three chord love song crowd gets all the attention. But you know what? No amount of skill will make the common person on the street connect with your music. Elvis. The Beatles. The Rolling Stones. There are tons of players and bands that are objectively more skilled than any of them, but that just doesn't matter; it's not the least bit important. The only things that matter are that you are good enough for what you're trying to do, and that you can connect to people with your music. Sure, looks help; so does playing the fame game, and creating and maintaining a compelling image is pretty much required.

Mad Kiwi is right; that mysterious x factor is what sets an act apart.

18. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

In the 50's Elvis was a game changer, there was nothing like him when pop music was Sinatra and Doris Day. He was a really talented guy who adapted the blues and rockabilly and made rock and roll take off world wide. When he left Memphis for Nashville his music became slicker, more polished, reaching a bigger audience but losing it's soulfulness.

The beatles were inspired by Elvis and other rockers started as pop act but became a songwriting power house. With Dylan and others, the artists starting writing their own music and making artistic statements which stand up today instead of disposable and derivative pop songs. They became game changers for that period. By then Elvis had lapsed into just being Elvis, milking it, doing forgettable movies and (mostly) phoning in the musical performances.

Even though I grew up in Memphis I was never a big fan of Elvis (actually more a Costello than Presley) but I appreciate what he did. I love the work he did at Sun records in the early days and I was always a Beatles fan.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Marc Morfei and Mad Kiwi like this.
  19. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

This is the stupidest thread since the wash your feet one. Why do I waste my time here?

20. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Carl Perkins called and asked you lot to stop it. Oh, and wash your feet.

Wildcard_35 and Mad Kiwi like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.