Ok, Home Depoters, I need some design help...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RogerC, Dec 28, 2019.

Which setup do you think I should employ on this guitar?

1. Standard Tele control plate

16 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. Rear routed

30 vote(s)
    65.2%
  1. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Rear route Rog. Looks much more professional than that Tele shiny control plate IMHO. For knobs why not turn some up yourself out of a dark figured wood. If you use a "hard" wood you can tap a threaded grub screw hole in it to hold it on the shaft flat. Something I have done in the past is drill a smaller than required hole and soak it with super glue for a day or so then cut your thread for the grub screw. They seem to hold OK, but I think the wood I used was Aussie red gum which is as hard as the hobs of hell. The great part of doing your own on the lathe or a home made electric drill set up is you can polish them up so they look like plastic but still see the grain. Also easy to engrave the top (if you want to) with a capital V or T. I like the colour!

DC

RogerC likes this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Pelham Blue is fine! I mean if you aren’t going with Willow Mist....
    E5E3E671-1C5B-47CD-86D7-EB43C3C1285F.jpeg

zippofan, erix, fenderchamp and 4 others like this.
  3. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Cool idea. I was considering something really similar to that over the summer. There seems to be a few different recipes for Pellham blue, kinda like Lake Placid blue. To my eyes, some Pellhams are more silvery and some are bluer. I tend to like the bluer ones better.

Regarding the routing, do ya want to accentuate the finish (by showing more of it), or do you wanna go for sort of a muscle car look with more chrome/nickle on the face of the guitar? I ultimately chose a rear route on my last Tele because I wanted to see more of the wood grain. YMMV since you are painting it a solid color. Heavily chromed Telecasters can look pretty cool too. Pellham blue has always struck me as a color that would look great on a muscle car.

You're already using the minimalist cabronita pickguard. To that effect, I think rear routing would keep the face of the guitar clean and minimal. Whether that is desirable is up to you.

jkingma, LeftFinger and RogerC like this.
  4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

HAHAHAHAHA... Someone's trying to make things complicated! lol

If you have a pickguard a tele control plate will look nice, especially if the finish is opaque. Chrome on Chrome or Nickel Dome Knobs (although the LP with the amber knobs looks pretty sweet too). PUP rings like the PG or direct mount as Cap said.

CraigB and RogerC like this.
  5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think the white plastics on the SG look the best (I think they look great in fact), but I like my guitars kind of ugly, ugly guitars always seem to sound and play a little better.

If you are going to sell it make it pretty, if you are going to play it, make it a little ugly.

[​IMG]

It looks like mist was to Olds what glo is to Ricks.

RogerC likes this.
  6. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Do 4 vol/tone knobs like those LP SG examples. That wouldn't be the same old Tele control plate and a Jazzmaster body deserves some Gibson class. White pearl with Pelham blue is sublime.

fenderchamp and RogerC like this.
  7. erix

erix Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Love me some Rivieras....

8. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Either way will work, but what do you want to say to your audience about this guitar?

1. "This is a nod to the tradition of Godfather Leo and the Fullerton Mafia!" Use a top-mounted control plate.

2. "This is a custom guitar shaped like a Telecaster." Rout from the back. A cool way to simplify this process is to use a Les Paul-style 3-way Switchcraft switch. Drill one hole. Saves having to cut a slot for a CRL/OakG switch.

I'm not going to comment on the color, because you didn't ask.

John Nicholas and RogerC like this.
  9. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Regular Tele Bridge with a neck PAF and custom fit La Cab pg sounds good to me. Chrome bridge, direct mount the PAF, and rear route, with chrome knobs. To me that’s not too much bling on the top, and will go well with pearloid, the Pelham blue and Pau Farro. I’m also in favour of a LP style 3 way switch, unless you’re opting for more switching options??

RogerC likes this.
  10. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

I think you should do a rear route, pearl pod pick guard, white knobs, and a Gibson style switch. Basically I think that first SG you have I the pic is the classiest looking one and that huge piece of chrome looks cool with everything so maybe a full tele bridge would look cool with that combo too?

just my 0.02$

also, and this might change my answer, are you gonna paint the neck to?

RogerC likes this.
  11. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I’ve decided to go front rout with LP knobs (probably amber or gold) and an LP switch. I think that’s going to be a great hybridization.

Blessings and peace for you all and your families in 2020!

zippofan, Jupiter, CraigB and 2 others like this.
  12. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My standard design practice is rear rout almost 100% of the time, although I do have a front rout Tele in process right now... If I were in your shoes, I would go rear rout, fashion a pickup ring for the neck position using the same type wood as the fingerboard, and chrome hardware including the knobs.

13. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Even with only a few builds started, I'm heading in that direction, too. I'm a woodworker first and the bodies I envision making will likely tend to benefit from a clean top. That's why I chose rear-rout up in the poll.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  14. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Is it too late to say I have no opinion?

15. RogerC

I got the body back from the finish guy and got the rough neck carve done today, so now it's time to start mocking some things up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After seeing it like this, I'm undecided on a pickguard. I bought some white pearloid material to make a minimalist guard, but I'm kinda digging it sans guard.

I'm excited to get the neck finished up. I bought a 3 wheel buffing setup for my lathe, and I'm going to sand the neck to about 600 grit and then use my buffer to really get it shined up without any finish applied. I think it's going to be pretty spectacular and feel amazing.

RodeoTex, Barncaster, RatBug and 4 others like this.
  16. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

That body color looks great with the pau ferro neck Roger :)!

That piece of white pearl material looks real nice, but I like the no-pickguard look too.

edit: It's amazing how a good hard wood like pau ferro will take a polish on the buffer without applying any finish at all ;).

crazydave911 and RogerC like this.
  17. Macrogats

Wow Roger. That body came out fantastic. Looking pretty good as is without a pg. Maybe cut out a paper one to place on just to see?

RogerC likes this.
  18. Macrogats

Cool bucker pup ring too!

RogerC likes this.
  19. RogerC

Thanks, George. I'm leaning toward no guard as well.

I know. I'm excited to polish this thing up!

Thanks. Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I like it without a guard, but your idea of a paper test version is a good one.

I got the ring from someone here. He made it as a test piece for me, and it turned out so good I decided I could use it on this build.

GunsOfBrixton likes this.
  20. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Really lovely body color! I also like the wood pickup ring for the humbucker in the neck position. No guard for me on this one, too.

crazydave911 and RogerC like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.