OK, help? (bridge question)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Edsel Presley, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

OK, so I have an odd question. I have a Squier Tele that originally came with a modern style bridge. I wanted barrel saddles, so I converted it. I went with a Glendale conversion bridge that bolts right up using the original holes. Obviously the bridge is a bit longer than an original to accommodate this. No problems so far. Fast forward, and I've always dreamed of owning a Tele with an ashtray. Of course one wont fit on the conversion bridge. So I'm considering filling holes and putting an original bridge on. But comparing the two, something just doesn't add up. Either the string-through holes are off, or the saddle location is. I've included 2 pics. One of the Glendale bridge in place, and another with an original sized and overlayed. According to this, my saddles now are in the entirely wrong place. And before you ask, yes, it's intonated. Anyone have any idea what's going on here? I'm stumped.

1.JPG

2.JPG

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Edsel, you've actually got those through holes aligned, in your overlay, more than they really align.

The through holes you're using now, are closer together and higher up the body, than the old Broadcaster/St. Leo template has theirs.

I think Dale Clark (Glendale) does superb work, and everything else he's done is fantastic, but this "conversion" you bought was something this customers foisted on him as an idea, and I bet he wishes he'd told them no. The string comes up out of the hole and the fat E string in particular, goes directly vertical in order to get over a correctly positioned barrel saddle. All 6 of the break angles, behind these barrels are IMO not conducive to a nice feeling guitar. Feels stiff, doesn't intonate that well - forces you to keep your saddles lower (and thus your bridge pickup lower) than you might otherwise prefer.

I converted 3 metallic black Indonesian Squier Fat Telecasters to the Broadcaster/St. Leo template. I filled and redrilled all the mount screw holes. And I filled the top 50% of all 6 of the through holes and directionally redrilled the top portion of those holes to get proper string through hole alignment on the top side (while keeping the old holes/ferrules as is on the back). You could do that.

But I cannot guarantee you will find a customer for your Glendale conversion plate.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Fretting out likes this.
  3. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Well I was aligning to the pickup more than anything. I know it's not going to be exact, but it shows that it's the saddles and not the holes in the wrong place. I've had no problems with the conversion bridge. If it would accommodate an ashtray, it would be perfect.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have not fitted an EMG pickup to a T bridge location, such as this, because I was told the pickup wasn't compatible with a magnetic steel bridge plate.

Also, I wanted to mention that the purported location of those straight brass saddles on the old Broadcaster/St. Leo bridge aren't remotely close to where they'd need to be to intonate - at least on a 25.5 scale guitar.

I'm surprised to hear your Glendale is working optimally for you. Very, very few guys on this Board using them at this point.

+

In the end, there's two basic forms of Tele: Vintage and Modern. There's a whole concert of things that I would do differently on the one guitar - relative to the other. I don't even play these two types of Telecaster in the same fashion.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.