Ok guys. Need y’all’s opinion again!

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Midgetje94, Oct 12, 2021.

Rhinestone or no?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    15.1%
  2. No

45 vote(s)
    84.9%
  1. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Afflicted

Soo as y’all have seen I recently finished a Tele build for my son. It has a sunflower decal on the headstock.

I’ve always rather liked the Merle Haggard Tuff Dog Tele. I like the inlay dog and how it catches the light.

Got me thinking. I got some small rhinestones to match the center of the sunflower. I don’t wanna do the whole flower because that would be overkill IMO. But the idea is to rhinestone the center part of the flower. Dad said he was unsure of the idea when I mentioned it. Now I’m on the fence. I don’t want to bedazzle my guitar by any means. But like the Tuff Dog Tele. Just a little pop kinda thing.

What do y’all think?
    361D28C9-435A-448D-83DA-163895DDFF09.png E1E803BD-B8EC-4ED0-8954-CC0380FA6967.jpeg

2. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Friend of Leo's

I say nay. I'm not opposed to a little flash there, but I think I'd rather see something like a little abalone or MoP inlay that sits flush and doesn't look like blinged out mom jeans.

Gaz_, Skyhook, Dismalhead and 6 others like this.
  3. Midgetje94

After I got the stones I kinda thought that as well. And honestly on the fence now lol. I like the idea, I’m not opposed to spending a hour glueing them on. They are small enough they won’t bother the strings or anything. Just actually looking at them side by side. I want a little flash. Not to turn out gawdy.

Skyhook, stormsedge and _MementoMori_ like this.
  4. _MementoMori_

I hear you. Maybe mock it up with some weak adhesive and just stare at it for a few days?

drewg, Skyhook and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Buell

Buell Tele-Meister

Hell yes, do it. There's nothing wrong with minimal bling!

Dismalhead and Midgetje94 like this.
  6. Midgetje94

Yea when I go for it (if I do) I’ll glue them. But thought about using two sided tape. Clear, I can place them in the circle and still see the rest of the flower. And I can just peel that tape off.

Gaz_ and Skyhook like this.
  7. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

Got to go with a big hell no on the cheap flash unless the boy is going to be wearing matching lipstick.

Skyhook and 39martind18 like this.
  8. _MementoMori_

Bro. Respect, please.

Steve Holt and JL_LI like this.
  9. Midgetje94

Just as a reference this is the whole guitar. Did a light relic job.
    794C7647-B73B-4E49-A17C-BBB3BC00ECD8.jpeg

feel the color of the stones would match the flower as well as the golds and brown stones match the body too. Which adds to the uncertainty. Feel could look great but could look tacky too.

10. _MementoMori_

That's a killer build and actually makes me waver on my original statement. That color of rhinestone might look amazing on that.

Midgetje94 likes this.
  11. Midgetje94

well it’s my guitar. Made as a tribute for my 4 day old son who passed away last year. Soo no lipstick involved. But thank you for your input. No matter how out of place it was.

BB, Toadtele, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.
  12. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

Count me in under liking the idea, but somewhat unsure of the execution. I don't know what to suggest in its place, I just don't think it would look any better than what you've already got.

Can you get it on in some way that's easy to reverse without ruining the paint job it's already got? If so then just do it, live with it a bit and see how you feel. It could be you don't even notice it visually, but you know it's there and that's good enough for you. My Esquire was a Tele and as such has a neck pickup route and that little wiring route on the way to the controls. I have a little note in there. No one would ever know it, but it's a nice finishing touch from me to me.

Fiesta Red and Midgetje94 like this.
  13. Midgetje94

My thoughts too. The brown, gold, and yellows will tie the body into the headstock. As well as make the flower pop. I’d probably arrange the stones in a “burst” pattern to. Bright center and blend into a brown outer (similar to the sunburst)

Fiesta Red likes this.
  14. Midgetje94

I was thinking scotch two sided tape. Clear so I can see the whole flower and just place the stones on for the time being getting a feel for it. I can’t imagine the tape ruining anything. The decals are all actually scrapbook stickers from hobby lobby then sprayed over with a clear coat. (Taped off the head) so it should be fine

Fiesta Red likes this.
  15. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Meister

Wow that’s a beautiful guitar! I think the stones would take away from how nice it already is. IMHO.
    Best of luck going forward.

Midgetje94 and 39martind18 like this.
  16. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

I must apologize, without the whole picture it's hard not to be a cranky old man. Do what you think is best. I am sincerely sorry for your loss and hope you will forgive me. My preacher says sometimes I can be a little rough around the edges.

P Thought, 39martind18 and nojazzhere like this.
  17. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I say give it a shot, then. I don't see how Scotch tape could harm the clear coat. I think I may have misunderstood your idea at first, as well. What you actually have in mind will probably be more noticeable than what I initially thought.

Midgetje94 likes this.
  18. Midgetje94

Just some more pics of it. Think I may have overdone the neck a tad. But I like it. Didn’t want a big trashed out relic. But wanted a well loved and played guitar. Haha.

to be fair. Neck was originally planned for a all out relic I decided against. So that’s why it’s worn more than anything else. But I like it.

Attached Files:

Fiesta Red likes this.
  19. Sconnie

Sconnie Friend of Leo's

I'd go back over the sunflower with more metallic paint that will add the incident-lighting-based "pop" you're after, and topcoat with some clear. The petals of the sunflower could use some more contrast IMO but it doesn't need the rhinestones.

Midgetje94 likes this.
  20. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Holic

It's a beautiful guitar. I am sorry about your son and the pain that must go with losing an infant son. I cannot imagine going through something like that.

Given the context you've provided about the genesis of this guitar and its purpose as a memorial for your son, I would not add that kind of adornment to this particular guitar. It's currently an understated and elegant piece of art. In this case, I would say that more "flash" would detract from that artfulness.

Also, it's not really in keeping with the character of the sunflower...

Having said that, I'd go along with doing a mock-up and seeing how it looks.

How's your elbow, by the way?

tubedude and Midgetje94 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.