1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

OK America, Corned Beef and St Patrick's Day, Why?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by john_cribbin, Mar 17, 2021.

1. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

There must be some kind of history to this.

This side of the pond, corned beef is not a tradition on St Patrick's Day, it's not a tradition on any day.

Growing up, we used to get it occasionally at school. If you mentioned corned beef to an adult, you were met with a look of contempt and a two word reply, 'war food'.

Somehow, this non Irish food has become a tradition on the biggest day in the Irish calendar, but only several thousand miles from the Irish coast!

Why?

beagle and nojazzhere like this.
  2. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 Tele-Meister

Not sure... but I love it! Probably the only day out of the year I eat it. Well, that and a Guinness.

3. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

What's funny is how I hear this every year. USA to world: We know (and have known) it's not an Ireland-Irish thing. Unsurprisingly, diaspora sometimes develop their own traditions, especially after long periods of distance from the motherland.

Wiki:

"In the United States, consumption of corned beef is often associated with Saint Patrick's Day.[18] Corned beef is not an Irish national dish, and the connection with Saint Patrick's Day specifically originates as part of Irish-American culture, and is often part of their celebrations in North America.[19]

Corned beef was used as a substitute for bacon by Irish immigrants in the late 19th century.[20] Corned beef and cabbage is the Irish-American variant of the Irish dish of bacon and cabbage. A similar dish is the New England boiled dinner, consisting of corned beef, cabbage, and root vegetables such as carrots, turnips, and potatoes, which is popular in New England and another similar dish, Jiggs dinner, is popular in parts of Atlantic Canada."

4. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Or green beer!

[​IMG]

john_cribbin likes this.
  5. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

Hell, I have corned beef whenever, not just 3/17. On rye with swiss and horseradish, with cabbage and onions, with a Guinness and a bump -yeah, bring it on.

6. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The Irish that came here were poor. Meat when they could get it was pork or ham. Beef was terribly expensive, so preserved beef that was produced in Ireland was exported for that reason.

In North America beef was MUCH cheaper so it caught on in areas with a lot of Irish immigrants - Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, etc. Those immigrants now had a little money, so they could celebrate with posh, ritzy beef.

don71, jays0n, Phrygian77 and 4 others like this.
  7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

well, St. Pat drove the snakes out of Ireland, so you can’t have snake tacos!!!!!

Dereksys38, Wobbles, Jakedog and 6 others like this.
  8. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

I Alter the Menu! I buy a Corned Beef, but soak a couple of days to get off Pickling Spices. Then I coat it in Coarse Black Pepper and throw in Smoker. Pastrami time in 4-6 hours. Then we will Grill on Rye with Swiss. Yum! Not a Fan of Cabbage unless it's Slaw! Eat On! Happy St. Patty's to Everyone

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  9. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

I looked into this a bit on Wikipedia, being that we "celebrate" St Patrick's day with our annual feast of Rueben Sandwiches.

It has more to do with Irish-American immigrants then it does Ireland itself!

I suppose it is a fitting way for Americans to celebrate....

10. john_cribbin

Cheers folks, that makes sense to me now. Knew there was a reason to be a member here!

11. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Glad we cleared that up. Now please explain spotted dick.
    (Picture included to avoid uncomfortable misunderstandings.)
    upload_2021-3-17_13-49-16.png

12. john_cribbin

That's simple. Spotted dick is the food of heaven!

An old fashioned British pudding that fell out of favour decades ago, probably due to it's name .... I mean what reputable restaurant would want such a common name on the menu.

Over the past few years it has started to reappear. Awesome with custard!

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

32 million Irish Americans
    7 million people in Ireland

we celebrate cinco de mayo too... has essentially nothing to do with Mexico, but we dig it.

there are a lot of us who love our Irish heritage, we don't do it 'right' but we do it every year and it is with love and reverance, misguided though it may be.

Roscoe295, drf64, Rockdog and 5 others like this.
  14. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I would just add that corned beef is also seasonably appropriate for early March which is often cool and rainy in many parts of the US. While it may not be a proper Irish dish, corned beef and cabbage works well for a St. Patrick's Day meal.

ale.istotle likes this.
  15. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

And then you put the slaw on the sandwich! That's what we do, killer good.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

It's simply all about the green beer and leftovers for Reuben sandwiches, so don't read too much into it. IMG_4904.JPG

bsman likes this.
  17. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I didn’t know corned beef was a tradition. But the only way I know it’s St. Patrick’s day is when kids pinch me because I don’t have green on.

Dereksys38 likes this.
  18. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've never heard of this before. AFAIK it's not a Canadian thing.

On the other hand, there's green beer, green hats, green jerseys, etc.

19. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

Yes, Wife likes it on Sandwich, mine on the Side. I was a Butcher for many years and usually will buy a Brisket and get out my Brine Pump. I didn't have time since it takes a week to Cure. I take Boneless Pork Loin and do the same for Canadian Bacon! I have a Kitchen Aid Mixer with the Meat Grinder Attachment and also a little Meat Slicer. I use very little Sodium Nitrate (Pink Salt) when I Cure because we don't have to worry about "Shelf Life". It gets eaten fast!

20. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Tele-Meister

@john_cribbin

corned beef to the yanks is very different from corned beef in the UK

US

[​IMG]

UK

[​IMG]

Dereksys38, AAT65, uriah1 and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.