1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ok, admit it...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by El Tele Lobo, Dec 3, 2020.

1. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I bought my TS-9 in Y2K because I read SRV used it. It sat idle for 20 years. Didn’t learn how to use it until I finally put a pedalboard together this past Spring.
    I bought my Cool Cat Chorus in Y2K because of a review in Guitar Magazine. Had no idea what to with it. See above.
    No TDPRI, Strat-Talk, TGP and YouTube back then.

2. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

Woolly mammoth fuzz.

3. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I think that depends on the vendor. For the smaller operations, finishes and graphics will add substantial price to the cost, either by farming out that stuff in smaller batches, or doing it in-house manually.

For bigger operations, such costs are greatly minimized, by automating the processes of machining, finishing, and applying graphics to their pedals. They don't even need to silkscreen the enclosures any longer (using new UV printing tech), so it's really then just limited to the initial cost of the tools needed for that.

As someone who builds pedals, I've personally found that the singlemost thing that affects measurable cost is the labor/time to build. If you automate everything, and come up with designs that don't require skilled hands and eyes for any part of the process, IMO it becomes quite cheap, with the costs of the aesthetic parts being mostly or totally absorbed, because they're basically negligible.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've bought pedals in spite of the graphics.

Obsessed and El Tele Lobo like this.
  5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

...Actually, I'll admit that it's partially an aesthetic thing, and that I'm typically tempted to get Barber pedals, because of their INTERIOR construction:

[​IMG]

I like that I can see that the pots, switches, jacks, and LED are all off-board, making replacement, with quality parts, fairly easy.

Added bonus - since everything is off-board, you don't even need to concern yourself with using the exact same vendor's component. For example, I tend to prefer the Alpha version of the 3PDT footswitch. So if/when the 'Taiwan blue' in the pic above would fail, that's what I'd replace it with.

Also, the in and out jacks in a Barber pedal will probably never need to be replaced. IME, I've never found the same to be true of PCB-mounted jacks, which are typically a bit of a pain to replace, and require that they be the same type.

BigBillow and El Tele Lobo like this.
  6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Haha...I think we all have.

7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I have one. I don’t use it much. Sounds thin and flat. Paid way too much for it. I’m never buying boutique again.

AAE82D2D-22EA-49EC-84B7-06A2444A8032.jpeg

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

The first of the series, luckily it lived up to the name
    upload_2020-12-4_12-1-58.png

Which prompted me to buy
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

...luckily they've all been, well, you know

I've been tempted by this
    [​IMG]

...since I play in a band named "The Blowtorches"

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. stonge

stonge TDPRI Member

I have a BMF Fat Bastard that I refer to as my signature pedal, and a Wampler Talent Booster to go with my Ego Compressor. The Fat Bastard and the Ego Compressor are great, but that Talent Booster isn't working out like I hoped lol...

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Never even considered it. I am after what what a pedal does for my sound. In fact, over the years I have owned some awful looking pedals, but at the same time a few very cool looking ones too. Pedals to me are just to get the job done for my ears, not my eyes.

edvard, El Tele Lobo and BigBillow like this.
  11. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

When looking for what to try out....I have 100% ruled-out pedals based on looks. Haven't really gotten excited about anything based on looks though.

Pretty much the opposite of OP's question, but there are somethings I just don't want to look at.

Don't think I've ever bought or wanted to try a pedal based on looks alone...with the exception of a Marshall Shredmaster (V1) I got from my local guitar center for $30 in the late 90's.

Here are the last 2 pedal I bought (plus bonus ugly fuzz):

upload_2020-12-4_16-7-53.png
    king of tone clone + green ringer/ fuzz

That said....I do appreciate a clever title/name and slick marketing...though don't want to pay extra for that.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Damn, what pedal is that? That's impressive. I have a couple big-box Barber pedals, the man knows what he's doing!

Who says is beauty only skin deep :)

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Uh yea , I do
    Also only known reformed church to use an Auto Wah. 55AE6092-2417-4B54-BB42-EC7E07DCE2AB.jpeg
    and I own a Chick-fil-a restaurant
    :)

JuneauMike and El Tele Lobo like this.
  14. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Okay, now THAT is what I'm talkin' about!!

:D

15. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

…So you had to get the pedal too. I go to a reformed church as well. I didn’t know there was a thing about auto wah though. Although I did have a worship leader one time who couldn’t stand tremolo. Hated it actually.

MrCairo46 likes this.
  16. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Looks tasty, but does it work on Sundays?

17. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

Raises hand...

A local guy was building pedals a few years ago... He had two dirt/fuzz pedals, one had Frankenstein on it and his eyes were red LEDs... the other was a topless woman and the LEDs were at the tips of her... ummm... tatas. I bought both pedals sight unseen (well not true. I saw pictures but never heard or used them). They actually were decent pedals but I sold them in a fit of gas long ago... lol

18. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I am 100% with Keith on this. That stuff would always steer me away from gear.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I play music in church and was in need of a compressor pedal that had more than just the old Dynacomp 2-knob deals. So I bought a Calvin Compressor, largely because of the art.

calvin.jpg

Its a great 5-knob compressor pedal and a great conversation piece for people who don't care a bit about what gear I'm using ("ha, I will make you care!!").

MrCairo46 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  20. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I would buy these two,.... if they actually existed...
    1EBEFC68-F9C1-47A7-AF67-564939DEA5C0.jpeg

66A19868-DA08-4158-9A51-0B9CD8FD671E.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.