1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ok, admit it...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by El Tele Lobo, Dec 3, 2020.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

...how many of you have bought or tried a pedal just because you liked the graphics...or maybe the name?

ABSOLUTELY the wrong reason to do so, but...so who's done it? FESS UP!!!

2. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

you first, lone ranger...

3. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

I like the way it sounds, but I gotta admit I think it looks pretty cool, too:
    [​IMG]

4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Actually, I've never ever bought a pedal because of name or graphics, but have actually pretty much done the opposite.

I've avoided ever getting a Swollen Pickle just because of the name, and don't care how good it might sound. And I'll never get the Camel Toe for the same reason.

As good as it sounds, and as cheap as it was, I almost didn't get a BBE Two Timer, because of the stupid graphics they used to have. I think I had the pedal for two months tops, and then ended up putting black paint over the graphics.

And, the truth be told, graphics on stuff like EQD pedals is something that I kind of don't want on a pedal. I don't like the combinations of colors, images, and names. I mean - that wouldn't stop me from getting one if it has the sounds I want, but I honestly just don't care for the way they look.

5. El Tele Lobo

Nope...not solely based on looks. But out off a style (say Klon type) of pedal, I've sometimes picked the coolest looking (or least obnoxious looking one). Sometimes if graphics bother me (too obscene/gory), I'll look for a knock-off version of the same pedal with less bothersome graphics.

My favorite pedals are the homemade jobs with solid-color or sparkle paint and hand-written knob labels (or none at all...adventure! Mystery!).

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  6. El Tele Lobo

Agreed. Always wanted to try that one.

stepvan likes this.
  7. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nope. Gotta Boss ME25 about 8 years ago and have an overload of usable sounds. Along with my Superchamp X2 I think I might have most everything I like covered.

8. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

9. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

20200226_113003.jpg
    Ok, I'll play....when I first saw pictures of the Drifter I couldn't stop thinking about how cool I thought it looked. Then I saw Andy's demo on YouTube and I just had to have it. I'm very happy with the way this pedal works, it sounds gorgeous. And looks beautiful. The artwork is kind of 3D, when you slide your fingers over it you can feel the graphics....I am glad it worked out!!

RJ

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  10. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

One of the best sounding overdrives ever in my opinion but I couldn't own it because of the name. The humor of it isn't lost on me, just wouldn't want that word displayed in my rig.

11. Roman4405

Roman4405 Tele-Meister

I chose my LE pink Walrus Audio Julia because it looked cooler than the standard one. I was gonna get one either way but liked that it looked different.

12. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

I put my own graphics on a pedal.

finished-crownjewel.jpg

13. slimpickins

slimpickins Tele-Meister

I'll admit it that I've been put off by graphics. There's several pedals I would have bought if they would have looked different. I like kinda plain/simple looking pedals...

PhredE and El Tele Lobo like this.
  14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I bought at least one ( or two) of each of the various series Danelectro pedals because ( in part), thought they looked cool. ( not the more expensive new line)

But even though some sounded good, even very good, I would replace them all with pedals that had easier-to-get-to Controls, or side-mounted jacks-or were just not goofy

* Ex.:
    I used to love the Dano TOD V.1, then it hit me that my Blues Driver did EVERYTHING the Dano did, but much better, easier to control knobs, and has great dynamics ( Clean to dirty with Guitar Volume knob) which the TOD did not.
    So it was a reality check: " the Dano is cool, but you never actually gig with it..."

Coloradotwanger and El Tele Lobo like this.
  15. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Small stone. Tempted to buy ventura vibe for that cool jester.

Rigel7 likes this.
  16. Rigel7

Rigel7 Tele-Meister

I have a Ventura Vibe, love it but I keep him hidden.

superjam144 likes this.
  17. Rigel7

Rigel7 Tele-Meister

Bought? No. But I put off building this confidence boost until I found the perfect housing for it.

Attached Files:

18. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

Not me. The only pedal I own is an Ibanez TS9. I've owned two pedals in my entire life. The other was a Wah Wah. I sold it years ago. I do look at pedals online sometimes and it's overwhelming. I don't even know what most of them do. The fancy artwork reminds me of micro-brew labels. I could see how someone would choose a pedal for the artwork. I do it with beer.

19. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I tracked down a used BBE Two Timer delay at a decent price earlier this specifically because of the graphics. I didn’t really need another delay but makes me laugh so it was worth it.

D1C025A1-27DD-4330-9AD8-DA40D117E1AA.jpeg

I also bought a Fuzz Bubble 45 when it came specifically because it had a “Pete” and “Jimi” side. Had to have that being a huge fan of both Pete and Jimi. They must have gotten in to trouble for it because they don’t make it like that anymore.

EA22EA1D-1B3A-4D2B-814F-6BD57788FA81.jpeg

20. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I guess I bought the Boss TU-3 partly because I liked the colours it shows when tuning. I figured if I got bored during shows (and at the time when I bought it, I certainly was playing in a band where my brain would go to sleep mid-gig), the colours would keep me entertained and in tune in more ways than one.

Slip Kid likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.