1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Oil finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by willie45, Jan 18, 2021.

1. willie45

willie45 TDPRI Member

Hi folks,

I'm getting ready to assemble a guitar ( probably a Tele, but maybe a Strat ) and taking my time in selecting the various options. I'm a completely novice so I'm looking for simplicity. With that in mind I'm ordering pre-made necks and pre- routed bodies from what I hope are reliable dealers here in the UK. Warmoth and some others are out of the picture due to high import and shipping costs.

My questions here is for a body wood recommendation. I'm likely to go with a one - piece Maple neck (though I might end up with an ebony fretboard - I don't want to be too extravagant when it's my first go though in case I mess it up!

I fancy a natural finish and will probably be using Danish oil for it, as it seems easy to apply and I feel I can manage it. I might give it a final coat of Wipe - On Poly or similar. The only thing I'm now wondering is if builders expect a bit of finish build up and make the neck fittings looser and if this might the joint a bit loose.

Anyway, imagining all to be well what wood do you recommend that looks nice with applications of Danish oil and is easy to finish. Light is good too. So far I'm considering Alder, Walnut, and Basswood.

Thank you for your help

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.