1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Oil changes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Twofingerlou, Feb 28, 2021.

1. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

3.6 Pentastar in my Wrangler is $75.00 at the Valvoline Quickie shop. Less than 15 minutes. Works for me.

2. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I understand your point, but in my case, I fractured my neck in 2 places so it now consistes of several inches of metal plates and 17 screws. As a result, doing things that require me to twist my neck a lot to see things is not high on my list of things I want to do. If I had a lift it would be a different story or even drove a lifted truck, but getting down under a Lincoln Town Car to wrench is just not for me....especially to save less than $40.

3. Twofingerlou

Twofingerlou Tele-Meister

Ive delivered enough parts in my time to various Firestone shops around me to know they’re really good about trying to scam people.

4. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Not a single question asked yet, except about the pumps maybe?

So...
    16123757.jpg

Fun stuff.

5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

When I was doing tune-ups and oil changes on Mockingbird Lane in Dallas, they cost $15.95 with the oil we had in a 265 gallon tank. Or $15.95 for the oil of your choice, that you brought in.
    I was fresh out of high school then but kids back then we're pretty good with car repairs.
    We had to be, the cars were crap and no cell phones.

SnidelyWhiplash and Stubee like this.
  6. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Sometimes a bargain isn't really a good deal .
    Depending on where I buy engine oil ( Mobil 1 ) , it costs between $7.50-9.50 / Quart . I need 5 to do an oil change . The filter adds more . The remainder is my time .
    The service provider is in business to make a profit and they set their prices based on a profit . They provide a service to those that choose not to or cannot do the task at hand . This is not a wrong thing .
    There are few things that I won't do as far as maintenance of my vehicles mostly because I can do them . Some folks are not as fortunate , so they pay someone else to do it .
    Let's look at the oil change .
    The provider must locate and bring the vehicle to the oil change location .
    The oil should be warm for this to be properly done .
    The person retrieving the car/SUV/van must put it in it's proper place . This may require getting out of the vehicle and opening a door . That door needs to be closed afterwards .
    The person must then either raise the vehicle for access or climb down into a pit .
    The drain plan and filter must be removed . Filters don't always cooperate on removal .
    The oils must be permitted to drain and the plug replaced .
    A new filter must be installed . Depending on the filter orientation , the filter can be filled with oil before being installed .
    The person must either climb out of the pit or the vehicle needs to be lowered .
    Once lowered , oil can be added .
    The vehicle is started , run until oil pressure is right and then shut off and the oil level is then checked . If necessary , oil is added at this point to get the level correct .
    The vehicle is then removed from this location and parked .
    Door/s , if part of this also need to be opened and closed .
    Repeat process for next vehicle .
    Time is money and there is more to this than only tending to the oil .
    The oil bought in bulk is pure overhead until sold . In other words , it makes no money until sold and consumes money until that time .
    I suggest that you open your own oil change business and learn about the various costs that most never know .
    Things like the various types of insurance required , tax deposits , matching SS funds , wages , electric and or heat , general utilities .....
    When that has been tended to , you are free to tend to these things at home .
    Do the things that you do best and pay someone else to do the rest .

7. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I keep mine in a drum and then give it to someone that has a heating system designed to use it . Many shops had these heaters back in the day . A few do today .

getbent likes this.
  8. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Do you have Autozone or Checker there? Both of those here in CO take used oil for no charge.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

A friend I used to work with and he was honest to me, had a brother who had been a chief automotive design engineer for the world' biggest company, stated that built in obsolescence is a factor for future sales as well as access to many systems that you can't service at home. Here , I have paid $750 for a service on a good, reliable Toyota, and it's gettin' old ( to quote Neil Young).

10. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

This is bizarre. My alert says you quoted me, but obviously you are quoting scooteraz.
    How does that happen?

11. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I had access to a roll on lift back east and DIYd my M3's oil changes, and it was a little more than $75. The Castrol 'Edge' 10W-60 was six quarts @ $11 ea (looks like it's $15/qt now), and the filter element took it up by another $10-$15. Dealer was $180 as I recall. Criminals.

12. Warren01

Warren01 Tele-Meister

This post got me thinking. I bought my first car 40 years ago and started changing my oil, probably 3-4 a year. When I got married, we got a second vehicle and used it mostly as our main one. So that one I was changing oil 5-6 times a year, the other one maybe 2. For about 15 years I even had a 3rd car - a midlife crisis one (MG Midget), that only received 1 change a year. Add these to the kids cars, I figure I have completed a minimum of 200 oil changes in my "career". I wonder why I have trouble getting motivated to get underneath anymore. And guess what I'm doing this weekend.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I noticed it was harder to dispose of used on in CA and FL, than it was in other places. I do suspect that there's a "Jiffy Lube Lobby" that works hard in both those places, to try to make life for do it yourselfers miserable. At the State or the Municipal level.

I'm kidding of course (?) but I am waiting for the day when there's a warning on my bottle of orange juice that says "The State of California has determined that the contents are likely to cause cancer, if consumed". The warning shows up almost everywhere, I think, and all that happens is, people ignore it and then when the substance really IS super hazardous, nobody is paying attention at this point.

I like getting black grease imbedded into the calloused fingertips. Manicures are over-rated, I think.

14. breadfreak

breadfreak TDPRI Member

Very different working on your own pride & joy and working on somebody else's abused junk. Just demoralising to know that they're only going to break it again :rolleyes:

Twofingerlou likes this.
  15. Milspec

Many shops feel the same as you....until you open up the motor or pull off the pan. Trust me, there is "sludge" in there...especially when people use oil that contains wax like Penzoil used to be formulated with (might still do). Used oil will have fuel, water, bits of gasket, plastic, etc. in it and those things can cause damage to bearings and cylinder walls. Maybe the vacuum gets it, maybe it doesn't, but draining from below has a better chance with gravity on your side. Don't get me wrong though, a lot of shops are using vac systems for both oil crankcase and transmission fluids so it must be working or else the industry would not allow it in ASE shops. I am just old and stuck in my ways, I don't like the method.

16. Milspec

My Father told me the very same thing when I said that I wanted to be a mechanic. I loved working on my vehicles, but as you stated, it is a whole different thing when working on someone else's junk.

Probably why my Father was against any us kids choosing mechanics for a career.

17. mngsp

mngsp Tele-Meister

GM actually sells the right to oil manufacturers to use the "Dexos" name. Anything that carried the "Dexos" name is synthetic but thats the only standard. There are better synthetic oils that arent "dexos".

18. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just took my car to the dealer synthetic oil change and tire rotation was $60. The synthetic oil and filter are $35. With the tire rotation it’s basically the same cost to let them do it.

19. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a 2018 Ram with the 3.6 Pentastar and changed my oil about a week ago. Piece of cake on that engine with the oil filter on top. Took more time to pour the old oil into the old containers then do the oil change. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic. I don't trust the guys in the Quick Change places, and don't want to bother going to a dealer. I let the dealer do the first change and I've done all of the rest since.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    rz350 likes this.
  20. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

If I couldn’t measure the amount of oil pumped out I might feel as though I am running blind. But I can.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.