1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Oil changes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Twofingerlou, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Actually, it stands for Bob Marley and the Wailers ...

[​IMG]

Twofingerlou and Colo Springs E like this.
  2. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I can do it , but really prefer not to. The habit these days of not using spin-on filters , makes it more of a mess .
    The insert used in many cars, can actually be mounted in the wrong way , leaving you with no oil filtration , so be carefull if you are not used to these kind of filters.

Its a once a year deal for most people , I guess , so the pain is tolerable , I think....

Sure the cost of oil have gone up , but you also dont need to change it as often as in the bad old days

Twofingerlou likes this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks! Good info

4. Twofingerlou

Twofingerlou Tele-Meister

While I understand some people don’t know how or physically can’t change their own oil. It’s been ten years or so since I’ve worked in any automotive environment. But you’re right, seemed then you could catch a deal somewhere and it wasn’t just worth messing with for the price point.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  5. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

As per your post , you paid $60.00 for parts alone . That makes it a $40-50.00 Man hour charge .
    I suggest that you be a friend and continue to help her save money .

Twofingerlou likes this.
  6. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I got quoted 585 dollars for a rear taillight assembly and installation from my local Honda dealership.
    Needless to say, got it off Rock Auto for 127 shipped and did the two screws and a wiring harness in 45 seconds that they were going to charge me an hour of labor for.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  7. Twofingerlou

Twofingerlou Tele-Meister

Canister filters, some people love them and some people hate them.

8. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a friend who relied on Walmart to change his oil in an older truck. Several years ago they failed to fully replace the drainplug, the engine seized, and after a few hassles, Walmart paid him blue book. Caveat emptor.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  9. David C

David C Tele-Meister

I guess I gave that up years ago when they started hiding the oil filters better. I guess I am driving newer Toyotas that only use synthetic oil and go 10,000 miles between oil changes. That is a very long distance, folks. The changes cost me somewhere between $60 to $70 at the dealership. So I let them handle it. They dispose of the oil, I don't get dirty, I have a manufacturer's recommended filter on the car, and I pay them for their service. There are differences in filter quality.

Ever wonder exactly how the filter is constructed at the AutoZone store vs. your local car dealer? Trust me, it isn't the same beast.

To me, car reliability is so far ahead of where it used to be anyway. I like my dealer to service my vehicle for the rare times that I have to take it in for service. I know they charge more, however, we aren't talking about much money in savings compared to the time and hassle.

I do realize this is a guitar forum and lots of us rebuild amps and guitars that we could just as easily purchase ready to go. I just don't get into working on cars any more, so for me it is a time and peace of mind thing.

10. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Tele-Meister

I have mine done at Walmart with full synthetic for $50. That's only about $10 more than doing it myself. I know and trust the guy that does it so I'm confident that it's done right. I also don't have to go through the hassle of disposing of the old oil and filter.

11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Contaminates and moisture accumulation isn't a function of oil type. Expensive oil may not buy you more interval, or less wear as a result.

schmee likes this.
  12. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

I could be wrong, but had a local mechanic here tell me Wal-Mart doesn't sell the same parts as you get otherwise.

Case point: if you buy a tire from Wal-Mart with the same brand and part number as the tires you get from other shops, Wal-Mart's has less tread (won't last as long). They build to a price point and cheapen the product to get in on the sales.

I cannot verify that claim, I don't have access to enough tires to compare, but I don't use Wal Mart for mechanical things.

I'm also scared to death someone will leave the oil plug off after changing the oil, or tighten it too much (strip it). I don't like anyplace where I cant stand outside and see into the bay doors where they are working.

13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I've never used synthetic. Hard to figure why you need to for me. My thinking is that an engine complete failure is very rare. I can't think if I have had one in 55 years of driving? it's usually other stuff that gets your car sent to the junk yard. Transmissions being more expensive to fix than the car's worth etc. Especially now days with high detergent oil etc. So what does the extra $ gain me if I use synth?? I guess If I'm going to keep a car for 300k miles maybe....
    It's surprising how expensive a quart of oil is though! I go to the local parts store for a quart for my riding mower and it's like $5 for a quart! Even the cheap stuff. I mostly have my oil changed by my mechanic, it think it's a bout $38 for 5-20w change and service. But I do change it myself sometimes .

14. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

You pretty much tipped your hand when you said from way back...

15. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Some manufacturers require it to validate their warranties.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  16. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

In general, you can have convenient or you can have inexpensive. I've understood any of those quick change places to be an expensive option for a long time now. If I were somehow in a situation where I must have fresh oil within 30 minutes and without any planning, I might see them as a worthwhile option, but it's hard to imagine that situation.

Don't quite understand "why would anybody spend...?" sentiment. The $35 driveway oil change doesn't compare directly to the $120 oil change unless the experience is rewarding (granted this is actually true for some) or there's really nothing better to do with an hour or two. Otherwise, opportunity cost - forgoing your next best use of the same amount of time - is in play. That'll vary a lot between different people. But if I figure time spent doing my real job is worth something like $75/hour, and value of time spent with my kids is incalculable, the DIY change is a really lousy bargain.

Like others here, I've found dealers to be a pretty reliable option for this work. Won't get a bargain there, probably won't get ripped off either. Scope of an oil/filter change is well understood and unlikely to creep. They'll try to upsell something, $50 wiper blades, so decline it. Make an appointment in advance, get in, and get out.

17. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

"I never buy new cars" :lol:

18. 4wotitswurth

4wotitswurth TDPRI Member

Lots of answers that jive for me.. yep, being older it’s hard to slide under the car anymore.... correct disposal is a pain.... nice to sit around with a coffee while someone else handles it. Yes it’s sort of expensive, but we have a nearby small shop, that’s ok... they don’t clean off the splash at times, which drips a few drops on occasion, but I can tolerate that for all the other hassles... when I think back to sliding under the Morris 1300 on a cold winters day struggling to remove the springs on the drum brakes or cleaning the distributor points, or finding the disc calipers seized I shudder and thank whoever that I no longer have to suffer that ‘fun’

Twofingerlou likes this.
  19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't encourage this because, when a person is under the vehicle, you should spot a belt going bad or a radiator or water pump that's weeping. I find, you don't get this kind of benefit when inspecting from above.

I mean, you shouldn't stop what you're doing - I'm just trying to talk others out of buying such a pump.

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Firestone is just a wreck of a company, and their acquisition by Bridgestone didn't solve all their problems. Those failing tires on Ford Explorers (Exploders) should have put off anyone not already terrified of the company. I think my last Firestone tire was in the late 1960s.

But I had a really smooth transaction with the Firestone store in Germantown, TN on Poplar. Tire Rack gave them highest marks, and so did the people I knew locally. They did an R+R on a 17" aluminum wheel, 5 stars and cheap, and just ten blocks away. It just goes to show, there's exceptional providers even with companies with horrific reputations.

Twofingerlou likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.