1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Oil changes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Twofingerlou, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Twofingerlou

Twofingerlou Tele-Meister

Well BMW does stand for Bring More Wallet

RomanS, drmordo and JL_LI like this.
  2. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

True, my 62TE grenaded into shrapnel at 58K, covered under warranty.

My 42TE in my '06 is going strong at 182K, but the 3.8 driving it is no powerhouse....

My A604 in my first '92 3.3 went over 185K before I sold it, but it was rebuilt by my Mopar mechanic friend who put all of the good parts in, and machined a few that weren't available.

My 4L80E in my '96 454 K3500 Chevy will probably outlive me.... ;)

Twofingerlou likes this.
  3. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

You think that's bad look at the cost of parts and an hour of your time to do the brakes versus what a dealership will charge.

I did my own rear brakes on my Jaguar last year for $60 bucks vs about $500 at the tire place or probably close to $1k at the dealership. Plus the aftermarket pads I used are actually much better than the OEM, which are actually kind of trash...

Twofingerlou likes this.
  4. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Oil change centers have been a rip-off for a long time in my view. My Mother has been taking hers to one for the last 7 years and never realized how much she was getting screwed. The last time she was there, they told her that she needed all new tires because they were 3 years old. Gave her a big song and dance about DOT standards (for trailers by the way) require tires be replaced after 3 years. When I investigated, I found that they had been charging her $90 for oil changes...I was not happy about it.

My independent mechanic charges $37.50 for oil change along with a 22 point vehicle inspection (brakes, shocks, belts, hoses, etc.). I normally do my own oil changes, but I can't do it much cheaper than that and it sure saves me some time.

boris bubbanov and Twofingerlou like this.
  5. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I liked being able to pick up the filters & oil @ the local Schucks Auto Parts to change Mrs Deeve's 73 Chev and my 70 VW Ghia, because things were simpler then.
    And it made me feel like I was being sorta wrenchy.
    I don't wanna fluxx up anything on my late mom's Benz, so it's prob gonna go to the nearby German shop.
    And I'll prob pay a bit more now.
    Oh, well...
    Peace - Deeve

Twofingerlou and Milspec like this.
  6. Milspec

A lot of shops are using the vacuum method these days, but I am not a fan of it. Traditional draining methods removes more of the used oil / sludge without the risk of dislodging the inlet filter which is just pressed on.

7. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I used to be an oil nerd, spent a lot of time on oil forums, sent my oil to Blackstone Labs, etc. I ran Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil and the corresponding filters in my 2001 Mustang GT. I did extended drain intervals on the Mustang for the 12 years I owned it, 10,000 miles. I did an annual report from Blackstone and it always came back impeccable. I sold the Mustang in 2014 with over 200K flawless miles on the clock. That car never needed anything other than typical wear items.

2760dsc00020.jpg WP_20140227_16_50_24_Pro.jpg

These days I drive a Prius and the dealer has handled all the maintenance, including oil changes. The warranty is up now and I am on the hook for those changes so I have been thinking about getting back into my old routine.
    Nice thing about the Prius is that ice engine only runs about half the time and the factory oil change interval is 10,000 miles. I doubt I will extend that. I will be using the Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil and Filter though.

Mobil 1 M1C-154A Extended Performance Oil Filter - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20, 5 Quart - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Here is my reasoning. I make about $30 per hour. I can change the oil in less than an hour, but let's figure an hour. There is $30. The Mobil 1 Extended Performance Filter for the Prius can be had at Walmart for $10 and a gallon of Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 Fully Synthetic oil can be had for $30. That comes out to $70 total cost if you figure in my time. The dealer charges $115 for just the oil change, $135 with a tire rotation which I can do and still be under an hour. I am saving $65 by doing these particular dealer services myself. Even just the $45 I save by doing the oil change equates to about 3 tanks of gas. That is between 1500 and 2000 miles depending on how I drive. Not to mention the peace of mind knowing what oil and filter are in the car and that it is at the proper oil level. Worth it!

20170225_214715354_iOS.jpg 20161106_224142573_iOS.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  8. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I am perfectly capable of changing my own oil, but when I factor in what my time is worth to me, I pay someone else to do it. Sure, it costs more than it did in 1975, but while they’re doing it, I’m free to shake my fist at a cloud, or get kids off my lawn.

9. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I don't trust oil change places, especially WM. A couple of years ago, I was gonna let WM change my oil because they had a special. I told the guy at the service counter that my car took 5W-30. He got into an argument with me telling me I was wrong about the viscosity of the oil specified for my vehicle. He stated that he's changed many of them & I didn't know what I was talking about. I replied that I can read my owner's manual & he wasn't gonna change mine & I left.

You have to be very careful about who works on your vehicle.

Twofingerlou and 985plowboy like this.
  10. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Sigh... this thread brings to mind a lad who dated my teenage daughter.
    We called him 'the Hammer,' as in dumb as a sack of hammers.
    He got fired from his oil change job for leaving the drain plug 'finger tight' on a Mercedes.
    He later did the exact same thing on his car.
    There is a long streak of oil on the street in front of our house from when he drove up with oil pouring out of his motor.
    I could go on about the Hammer, but you get the idea. He could be working in a oil change place near you!

M

11. Milspec

Boy is that the truth. I grew up in my family's auto repair shop and was an ASE certificed mech myself back in the early '90's. Restored many Jeeps, doing all the work myself, but I pay a guy these days to do about everything.

It isn't just the time issue, it is the recovery issue. Even a simple oil change requires me to crawl around beneath the car, bend, twist, and curse the stupid location of the filter. When I am done, I still have to take the oil back to be recycled and then the soreness kicks in for all that crawling around. Paying someone else while I drink a cup of coffee sounds like a better deal every time.

Age has a way of altering both our perceptions and our priorities.

12. Milspec

....or the other guy, the one who re-installs the plug with the impact gun until the threads are all stripped out.

I was driving to Duluth for a marathon race years ago and didn't have a garage at the time, so I had Jiffy Lube change the oil before I hit the road. The drain plug fell out while in the parking lot of my hotel, the threads were stripped out to the point of there only being about half a turn left. The plug was just barely hanging on when I drove the 8 hours. They already fired that kid before I got back for doing the same thing to 4 other cars.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  13. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I can get to mine from the top. Oil and filter change for me takes like 15-20 minutes.

It’s a mechanical pump. Quite common now days. There is no need to mess with the drain plug.

There is no sludge in my engine. I change my oil too often for anything like that build up. Also sludge won’t drain out the plug hole. It’s too sticky. And my plug has a magnet on it so any metal that doesn’t get sucked up in suspension with the oil is sticking to the drain plug. Every once in a while I get to use a lift. When I do I change my oil the conventional way. With my current car I did that after 15k miles. Pretty unremarkable so I have confidence in using the pump.

Twofingerlou and Chiogtr4x like this.
  14. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Well , Im also a trained mechanic from way back.....
    I would NEVER use such a pump

Thinliner likes this.
  15. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I let the young mechanics take care of it all. Old men can do that too :) I even give em a tip or buy the shop pizza lunch they make me so happy!!

Twofingerlou likes this.
  16. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Shade tree mechanic, have always changed my own oil...for like 52 years of driving. I don't mind crawling under because it gives me the opportunity to do my own inspection and inventory things that might need attending to and keep records. This routine has saved me thousands in prevention and intervention before crisis and avoiding needless service; have had several cars go over 400k. At my age, I don't plan on buying another vehicle...have a little 1990 Mazda B2200 pu with 140k that is driven to the ski hill 1-2 times a week; this past summer did the clutch and brakes. And a 2000 Volvo V40 wagon with 150k.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Oil has gone up a lot too. I started back changing it myself, saving about $25 bucks each change. I stretch my intervals a lot more than most folks.

BTW - its more important to change your oil seasonally, versus elapsed miles. It builds up contaminants and moisture, especially if its been sitting during the past year of less activity.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  18. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can't be bothered with doing it myself anymore. What happened in the OP's original post would definitely make me consider doing it myself, but my dealership runs specials all the time, and does the oil change with full synthetic as required for keeping the warranty intact.

I purchased 3 synthetic oil changes and tire rotations for $185. I felt like that was a good deal, and I don't have to deal with taking the oil in to an auto parts place for recycling.

I had an old Ford Ranger that was easy to get up under without jack stands, and very accessible. Probably took me less than 30 minutes. My car has a skid plate (or whatever it's called) with 9 bolts that has to come off, and the car itself is very low. I'd have to use jack stands, which is added expense and added hassle, not to mention if something fails (or operator error on my part) and the car collapses on me. Easier for me to let someone else deal with it. Once my warranty is up (soon), there's a local shop I trust very much, I'll have him do it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Twofingerlou likes this.
  19. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I hear you brother. I don't have an answer except I have witnessed exactly the same as you and have always felt frustrated. I can swear as little as 10 years ago the choice to do your own oil vs. one of these Quickies was neck and neck....now it's ridiculously overpriced. Although I have always opted to do my own only because it's the only auto maintenance I can accomplish, LOL.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  20. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    I always do my own oil changes, always have as well as other work. In the time it would take me to drive to a dealer or shop and wait a half hour to be back in the car, I can have the whole thing done in half the time. I have a 2006 Cayman S which takes 9.5 quarts of synthetic oil (there's a 1qt sump extension), I buy two 5 qt jugs at Walmart for $25/each and the filter online for around $11. All in its about $65, did I mention the dealer wants $250!!... :rolleyes:

getbent and Twofingerlou like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.