1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Oil changes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Twofingerlou, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Twofingerlou

Twofingerlou Tele-Meister

I used to work in a quick lane back in high school for one of your major automotive chains. I’ve changed more oil in a few years than many people combined wouldn’t even think about in a lifetime. We would often run specials ect. I’ve also worked in a shop or two and a couple dealerships but it’s been a while.

Fast forward to last fall my mom called me and asked if I could run her vehicle in for a oil change. I had been telling her I’d just do it for her like I always did. She insisted I take it in like she has been for a couple years and not bother me. Ok fine your choice. I go swap vehicles and take it to where she’s been going which was a Ford dealership. She has a later model GMC Terrain, which btw takes this newer Dexos synthetic stuff.

I asked the gal behind at the desk how much it was going to be after she pulled up the history ect.

That will be about 75$ plus tax......

Scuze me? Deer in the headlights look. I said that’s with the synthetic dexos correct?

No sir we’ve been just using conventional oil....

Wait What? 75$ for a conventional oil change? Have you all bumped your head? Good grief how much is it with the synthetic dexos?!?!?!?

Looks like that would be about 110$

Ok can I have the keys back now?....

Off to the parts store I went to have them price match Walmart’s oil and filter prices. Two five quart jugs of Mobil 1 full synthetic Dexos and a K&N filter was 60$. I ventured back to my house to do it myself.

Knowing it was done right with quality supplies, and having left over oil from the second jug for top offs if need be and to do it again next time?.... priceless.

I was reminded of this yesterday after changing the oil in my truck. I recently traded for a newer 3/4 ton chevy 6.0 gas truck. Same thing I noticed it takes the dexos which my last truck didn’t, oil changes used to be cheaper. I understand times have changed and there’s more “specific” oil now. If that matters or not that’s a different discussion for another day.

But really are most of these dealerships and quick lanes charging that much for oil changes these days????

StevesBoogie and Nickfl like this.
  2. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Been around autos for a long time and I had to look up Dexos . Looks like some created term to confuse customers .
    Anyway , if you have checked recently , you may find that dealership shop rates are at or above the $100.00/Hr range . At that rate , $110.00 looks like a bargain at a dealership .

3. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

$28 for 6 quarts of semi synth and a mopar filter at my dealer with a coupon, I know semi synth is worthless, but I change it every 5k to keep the warranty good.

Warranty expired yesterday, now I gotta think.... ;)

Sent the oil for analysis to blackstone labs 3 times, always comes back excellent.

2014 3.6 Pentastar, driven normally......

emisilly and Twofingerlou like this.
  4. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Just had full synthetic oil/filter change, tire rotation, and multi-point check on our 2016 Accord at the local Honda dealer for $70.54.

I have no doubt that the Dexos 2 oil is a good product, but my bet is that you could use Pennzoil synthetic without any problems. I drove a 2001 Honda Civic EX 424000 miles using Pennzoil 5W-20, ignoring the recommended use of "Genuine Honda Motor Oil".

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  5. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

What vehicles these days don’t use synthetic oil? I always have done my own oil changes, btw. Years ago I purchased a pump to pump it out the filler tube. Much easier than getting under the car.

Coffeemutt, Chiogtr4x and green_henry like this.
  6. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Afflicted

I work at a small car repair shop in a tourist town.

Most regular oil changes are going to be about $40.

Most synthetic are going to be $60-65.

Some vehicles take 10+ quarts of oil, and require Mobil 1 oil...those can be north of $120, but are rare.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Tommy Biggs and Twofingerlou like this.
  7. Twofingerlou

It doesn’t take an hour to change oil, especially since most of these places have a drive over pit.

8. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

Dealerships, yes.
    I take my vehicles to a locally owned shop. Basic oil change 36.99 otd (up to 5 quarts I think).
    Full service is something like 39.99.
    Synthetics are more (of course), I think my last one was somewhere just over 60.00 for the full service.

Place has always treated me right, they give loyalty points so something like every 15th change is free, plus they give veteran discounts (like 4 bucks off).
    The good news is that with newer vehicles and their expensive oil, they go 7K between changes.
    I figure on my end of things, it's just about a wash.

whole tone likes this.
  9. whole tone

whole tone TDPRI Member

When I first saw dexos I thought it was weird too. No se, I guess they're calling for it these days. Manufacturer's rules. 2018 Chevy Silverado. Firestone charged $86 for an oil change the past 3 times I've been there.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  10. Twofingerlou

I’ve heard that about dodge dealerships. They’re just giving people a constant deal to save up for the tranny replacement. :lol:

Just giving a hard time, I used to work in a dodge dealership and that was about right price wise years back.

gregulator450 and rz350 like this.
  11. Twofingerlou

The pump wouldn’t do me much good since I still have to crawl under to change the filter.

boris bubbanov and Fuelish like this.
  12. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

I was a mechanic 20 years ago, and of course I do my own oil changes.

Over the last 20 years, there are two jobs on any of my vehicles that I didn't do - transmission in a Volvo and turbo in the same car.

But these days, I'm feeling old. My truck needs some heavy work, and 6 years ago when I got it I would have knocked it out. These days, I've just about decided to dump it and move on to something newer.

I still love working on cars, but this one needs about half a dozen medium sized things done, and I just don't have the energy or time for that kind of project. Kind of sad, but I guess priorities change over time.

4wotitswurth and Twofingerlou like this.
  13. Twofingerlou

Sounds like you guys actually offer fair prices.

14. Twofingerlou

I’ll spare the story’s but as much as I’ve been involved in the automotive field in various aspects. I’d stay clear of Firestone shops.

electrichead likes this.
  15. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Synthetic oil changes on SUV is 90.00 here.

16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not mechanical, had no idea there was such a device!

Is it an electric motor/pump or something mechanical (hand pump/ siphon tube?)

Also is it OK ( if you are changing oil this way), to not check or turn/lubricate the drain plug underneath?
    Just curious, thanks.

17. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I would not consider taking one to a dealership for anything not covered by a warranty.
    I can save about half the cost of my local mechanic by doing it myself.
    And truth, I can have the Wal-mart automotive dept do it for about the same price as the cost of the oil and filter.
    I will admit I feel a bit uneasy trusting the Walmart crew to work on my truck but, an oil change is simple enough.

electrichead and Twofingerlou like this.
  18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Cars are expensive but even more expensive if you don’t take care of them. My BMW comes with maintenance included in the price of the car. Don’t get the idea that it’s free. You pay for it in your monthly lease payment. I recently had my wife’s SLK in for its 40,000 mile service. We own that one. I brought it in on Friday, picked up the specific loaner I asked for and returned the loaner on Monday morning. A weekend test drive. The charge for the service was $600. Nothing is free and service certainly isn’t cheap but good service has value.

electrichead and Torren61 like this.
  19. Twofingerlou

I feel ya, I used to love it and thought I wanted to do it as a career. After a handful of years of wrenching and bodywork I got out of it. I’ll do it now for fun once in a while with a project and a buddy. Or if I have to fix something out of necessity/routine maintenance. Otherwise I’m good.

boris bubbanov and drmordo like this.
  20. Twofingerlou

Im un easy about the Walmart monkeys changing tires let alone oil. I had a kid fresh off the bus trying to mount and balance a set of 33/12.5’s once. I had to show him how to do it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.