1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Oil Can Style Delay Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Texicaster, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

¡Bueno!

I heard a demo of the Old Blood Endeavors Black Fountain and fell in love with it!...But hard to tell online..

I researched the types and found Catalinbread Adineko and supposedly closer to true oil can tone but I didn't dig the demos. Way too spacey!

The Black Fountain sounded like perfectly dialed for country Tele trem/reverb! Of course lots of unknown variables on videos.

But I want to try one but nothing available locally...

Any advice or reviews? Anyone own one or the other and love/hate it?

Other options?

Thanks!

2. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom TDPRI Member

I don't know what oil-can is. I know what bucket-brigade is, and tape delay. :)

TIM5150 likes this.
  3. Texicaster

They are actually pretty cool! I'd love to try a real one....

" Instead of magnetic tape, these units house what appears to be a tuna can filled with oil which works as a dielectric, i.e. it can store a charge or signal. A motor drives a rubber belt to spin a flywheel fitted with a pickup inside the can."!!!

Old school!

here's a break down...https://www.effectrode.com/knowledge-base/history-of-delay/

zippofan and Daddy Dom like this.
  4. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Crazy. I never heard of them. Very neat old tech. But in use it sounds more like a reverb to me.

5. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Super interesting! I don't understand how it works, but maybe you will enjoy this video I found:

6. Texicaster

Yea!

One of the Black Fountain videos I found was more like the way I mix reverb and tremolo! That's why I wonder if it's "necessary" for my rig...

7. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I have a Behringer analog delay that essentially comes across like an echo'ish reverb for anything but clean single notes, and I don't see myself using it. So I know the answer for myself on how useful it would be.

Texicaster likes this.
  8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Listen to the ZZ Top album “Rhythmeen”—there’s an old DeArmond oil-can tremolo all over that album...

Texicaster likes this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I demoed the Adineko. Pretty cool pedal. I was searching for a different kind of delay and it fits the bill.

Caveat: I am not much of a delay user, so just keep that in mind.

10. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Texicaster likes this.
  11. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

I remember this being advertised as an oil can style delay about a decade ago:

Not sure how accurate it is, but I do remember it being a darn good delay.

zippofan and Texicaster like this.
  12. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I don't know about the specific pedals mentioned as I've never auditioned them, but I have done DSP simulations of what I thought oil can delays were doing. It's a very cool sound as the modulation is synchronized with the delay time and if you turn up the regeneration a bit, starts to get pretty trippy.

Texicaster likes this.
  13. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

I listened to lots of YouTube videos (for whatever that's worth) and eventually tried the Blackfountain and the Adineko in person.

I took the Adineko home.

In person, between the two, it wasn't even close.

The Adineko is probably my favorite delay type reverby pedal...and I have the Catalinbread Echo Rec and the Belle Epoch Deluxe, I have the EHx Memory Man T1100 and the Oceans 11, and I have the EQD Afterneath.

Those are all good pedals, but the Adineko just has that something. Sounds so damn good. Easy to use. Quick to find a good sound. Doesn't really have a bad sound.

YMMV.

To my ears, out of all the YouTube videos of each pedal, and the few comparisons I could find, this is about the most accurate comparison (to what I experienced in person) that I found...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Texicaster likes this.
  14. Texicaster

Thanks!

i'm getting the impression the Adineko is more ambient. But I really like the the BF at ~4:50. I skipped around a little but could find them getting the slap back from the Adineko....

How's it for county pickin'?

Thanks!

15. reckless toboggan

The Adineko will do a rockabilly type slap. After all, the moving blend of the 2 positioned heads in the oil can are similar to the 3 tape heads of a Space Echo (pretty well regarded for rockabilly). So both can do a rockabilly type slap, and ambient type delay, spacy, reverby sounds.

As for chicken pickin, no idea what you'd be after for that other than some sweet, sweet compression, a single slap, and a dash or reverb or tremolo... so I'd recommend the Cali76 Deluxe, anything with one quick repeat (ie. almost any and every delay out there including the Adineko - watch 8:55 to 10:15 in the youtube vid I posted above for the setup and the sound), and just a hint of Blackface or Brownface amp reverb or tremolo.

Again, YMMV.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  16. Texicaster

I didn't men chickin' pickin' but that sorta Mystery Train riff he does in the demo you added. For some reason they don't play that way with the Adineko..

Thanks!

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Well they made this:
    [​IMG]
    which has nothing to do with the effect that's the topic of this thread, just a silly name they chose.

18. Shnook

Shnook Tele-Meister

I had an Adineko back when they first came out. I really enjoyed it but I found myself getting too caught up in that sound. Almost like it was taking over. Then Catalinbread had all that drama and I sold it. I do miss it now and then though.

19. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I put an Adineko on my board a couple years ago just to try something different and it hasn't come off since. It's hard to quantify, but it just speaks to me somehow.

I also have a CB Belle Epoch and Echorec that I like... a lot. But the Adineko is just cooler to me.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  20. reckless toboggan

Exactly. Hard to describe but easy to hear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.