1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ohms... please simplify

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RRodgers, Apr 16, 2021.

1. RRodgers

RRodgers TDPRI Member

Orange crush60 pro. The out put jacks say 1x8, 1x16 or 2x16.
    Now the problem is, it's going to a mini cabinet with 4, 8in speakers.please help

2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

By ohms, you are looking for the impedance of the amp.

The number of speakers isn't as relevant as what the impedance of the speakers is, and how they are wired.

Why don't you post pics of the output of the amp and the input of the cabinet?

Using google I found this:

Screenshot_20210416-143246_Chrome.jpg

3. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

You could load one 8 ohm cab or one 16 ohm cabs. Or it will power two 16 ohm cabs.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

https://orangeamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Orange-Crush-Pro-Series-Manual-V16.pdf

You have a solid state amp there. It does NOT want to see less than an 8 ohm load per the manual. You are putting your amp at risk by running a 4 ohm load. Running a solid state amp with a lower load than the design calls for puts the output transistors at risk.
    The manual is your friend. You can run a s8ngle 8 ohm load. You can run 2 x. 16 ohm loads for a total 8 ohm load. You can r7n a single 16 ohm load with the resulting loss of approx. 50% of power. To continue to run that 4 ohm load, you risk losing all output power.

Torren61 and northernguitar like this.
  5. AlbertaGriff

I don't think he's saying 4 ohm load, I think he's saying it has 4x8" speakers? I don't think he knows the impedance of the cabinet.

Wally and northernguitar like this.
  6. Wally

well, I misread it incorrectly twice!!!! I mentally added ohms after the 4 because the drift of the question was about ohms...my deep apologies. Everything except my warnings still holds, and manuals are your friends.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  7. Wally

Oh...and I was wondering how the amp had not burned down with a 4 ohm load. thanks for the wake up call, AlbertaGriff.

8. AlbertaGriff

It's a tough one because he didn't say ohms with the output, but they were all ohms as well.

He had another thread earlier today about this same subject which when put together helped clarify.

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.