Ohio is freaky

Flip G

Tele-Holic
Maybe the powers that be felt "North Lima: East of Lima" sounded exciting, à la "Krakatoa: East of Java" (even though Krakatoa is west of Java).

“I give up, Mr. Fudd. Why is the state of Ohio different?”

"Because it's HIGH in the middle and ROUND at both ends!"

images

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
Warning: You'd have to go to Cleveland. It's not as much fun as Drew Carey makes it look.

I will say that the Drew Carey Show does get the general feel of NE Ohio, they just make it seem a lot more fun than it is. Maybe, if they got mugged more often. A few run ins with the best cops and troopers outside of Georgia would also add to the realism.

I’d add a link if I knew how to do it but I don’t.
Check out a YouTube video for a song named “Ohio(come back to Texas)” by the band Bowling for soup.

loco gringo

Tele-Afflicted
Arkansas is freaky too. Van Buren is not in Van Buren County, Benton is not in Benton County, Desha is not in Desha County, Hot Springs is not in Hot Spring County, Scott is not in Scott County, Conway is not in Conway County, but Lonoke is in Lonoke County.

That is to keep outsiders confused.

billy logan

Tele-Afflicted
Guitars are visible in Ohio. Tubas, saxophones, and trumpets, however, are invisible there. And the alto slide trombone is so small it can be surrounded by two hands. Freaky, hunh?

Piqua's piquant performers permanently permeating Pangaea's pups:

wiki - The_Mills_Brothers

Bowling For Soup says "there's nothing wrong with Ohio" except ... ... ...

And then there was also the two bicycle shop guys in Dayton who thought people could fly. They did their experiments out of state. iirc they were brothers.

btw This is what Drew Carey is talkin' 'bout!

Ohioans are self-effacing e.g., "Just Another Polka" ...

... but it's only to keep the freakiness on the down low.

Last edited:

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
OK. I am in Akron. I'm lost. I know I need to turn on Sand Run...

View attachment 930925
The first time I went to Akron, in 1985, I was staying in Fairlawn. My dad had recently moved to Cuyahoga Falls and I used a real roadmap to plan a visit one evening. Most of the route was on Sand Run Parkway as I recall. My rental car was a LeBaron GTS, big fun for a guy in his 20's! Weird coincidence to find a reference here almost 36 years later...

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
What city, let me guess

Richfield. I was there for a run or Dead shows in 1994. I’ve never really looked like a deadhead, but I suspect they were driving around hassling anyone with an out of state license plate under the assumption (correct in this case) that’s why we were there.

Chip

Friend of Leo's
Richfield. I was there for a run or Dead shows in 1994. I’ve never really looked like a deadhead, but I suspect they were driving around hassling anyone with an out of state license plate under the assumption (correct in this case) that’s why we were there.

I was also there!!!

Maybe you are in this picture I took at one of the shows…
F588E131-849F-4CEF-BB18-D0A2DB3CCC47.jpeg

lowatter

Tele-Holic
NW SC is nutz as far as the roads are. You can make a left turn say to the west, and end up going east. Also, the roads change the names at many intersections and worse than that, a lot of roads don't have street signs telling you the name of the road you're on.
I loved Tucson for the way the roads are. It was well planned with the roads running east/west and north/south with Mt Lemon to the north so you're NEVER lost. I really miss that.