1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Oh, x, uh, y.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Let x = your first name
    Let y = your brother's first name

How many conversations with a parent begins with "Oh, Larry, uh, Glenn..." My brother Glenn and I are 14 years apart in age, but didn't actually live together long, as I split at 18. When I was 30, I was about to go off to grad school, and spent a month at my parents' house while I was closing up shop, so to speak. My brother and I had a chance to get to know each other better for that month, and had a lot of fun. But my parents could not keep our names straight. I was the only male child at home for 14 years, and my brother was the only one for 8-10 years (I am not doing my arithmetic so well). So, when the two of us got together, that's when the "Oh, Glenn, uh Larry..." stuff started.

The Bob Newhart Show, where he owned a hotel, was popular at the time, and there were a group of dufus brothers, named, Larry, Daryl, and Daryl. Glenn and I decided that our parents should just call us Daryl. My mom actually went along with this for a few days. My dad never watched much TV, so the context was just lost on him.

I'm watching a documentary right now, where the mother said, "Ron, uh, Steve..." That got ye olde brain cells interacting and, voila, a brand new thread!

2. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

I remember talking with my Mother once and she was trying to refer to my younger brother...

She first invoked my older brother's name, then mine... then Duke... our faithful beloved Dog... before she finally arrived at "Bill"; my brother's proper name!

:eek: :lol:

I love telling him aout that from time to time... ;)

To be fair... She could be a little ditzy sometimes... so I got that honestly... :D

3. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Oh, yes! I had one brother and one sister and yet for some reason whenever they wanted just one of us they had to run through the whole list when they called us. It has to be a parent thing. :D

4. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

At my last job, one of the managers couldn't tell me apart from one of my co-workers. He wears glasses, I don't. And even after he cut his hair and shaved his moustache, we apparently were identical. Ditto for when he grew a beard.

5. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

I have four daughters and it is a rare sentence in my house that doesn't begin with at least three different names.
    Usually starts off with the child's name that gets in trouble the most often. Uh, A!
    Then the one who talks back the most. Er, B!
    Then the correct one, I mean C!

Sometimes it's even, Uh, A! Er, B. I mean A!

6. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

If it's not too tangential...

7. kranz

kranz Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Ex boxing champ George Foreman solved this problem by naming all five of his sons, "George". No, I am not making this up.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  8. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I have 4 brothers and 2 sisters - you should have seen my mom when she was trying to discipline one of us - hilarious. My name is Jimmy, but she'd be yelling "Paul, uh, Steven, I mean Michael, pick up that mess." Sometimes when she'd start that, I'd run out of the house before she got to my name, then I could avoid it for a little longer. :lol:

9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Two older brothers. For some reason whenever I got in bad trouble my middle brother's name was often substituted when calling me. Usually corrected immediately but I think he must have got in much more serious trouble at the same age so he became the reference.

10. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

Two sisters. We were all called by all our names at one time or another. I was usually blamed the most as the eldest and the boy.

11. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My dad skipped the "uh" part

It was just "ThomasBradleyDouglasMichael". And you know you're in trouble when you get called by your full name (and it's even worse if they include your middle name)

But my sweet little sister (the youngest) never seemed to get into trouble. Actually I figure the 4 boys frazzled Mom and Dad so much that by the time she was old enough to get into trouble, they'd already seen it all.

Cheers,
    Doug

12. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Friend of Leo's

I have no brothers, so my father and uncle filled those roles.

D.H.

13. Tinman46

Tinman46 Tele-Meister

I was the youngest of five. For years I thought my name was "SusanstevenmichaelmurrayROBERT!" When Mom was really mad she would sometimes trail off into dogs names before finally getting to mine.:lol:

14. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Growing up, my poor baby sister was affectionately known as BoSuAmy. My Mom would default to me, the oldest (Bobby), then move down the chronological scale to my sister (Susan), before arriving at the intended youngster, Amy.

- Bob

15. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Yeah, both my brother and I have names that start with "R" so mom did the little verbal dance more and more as she got older.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Only child, but they'd get my name mixed up with the dog's.

17. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

z = the dog's name.

With my Mom, both my brother and I were called by the dog's name as much as our own. For some reason Dad could keep us all straight.

18. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

My parents don't do it. But before she passed my aunt would call me by my uncle's name everytime she saw me and would call my uncle by my name for about a week after we were together. I go by mike most of the time my uncle is marc.

19. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

We occasionally got the dog's name in the mix of um and ah.

20. Jackson Jackson

Jackson Jackson Friend of Leo's

I'm an only child and my mom would often spew forth every name in the phone book before she'd eventually produce mine.

We'd laugh about that. She was a nutty bird :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.