Oh, what the heck....it's on its way.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Something was bugging me...I had seen a guitar like @John Backlund ’s gold flake thingy before, but where?

Then I was thinking about interesting contexts in which to use such a guitar, and I got thinking about how G. Love and Special Sauce used to use some weird oldies in a sort of meat/analog hip-hop context, as heard here:

Even if this kind of thing is not your bag, stick it out at least a little past 0:28. This is a really interesting relaxed groove played with minimalist lo-fi guitar, upright bass and a really nicely captured ambient old jazz drum kit.

So, having reacquainted myself with that song, which I enjoyed back in the 90s when I had that album as a road cassette, I hit google images for some photos of G. Love’s funky axes, and what do you know: in a 2014 Premier Guitar “Rig Rundown,” he’s got a blue version of JB’s three pickup, six-knob cheese axe! THAT’S where I saw one before!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pr...-rundown-g-love-special-sauce-2014-2651071508

Kind of a circuitous but entertaining path, there.

JB, I’d love to hear that thing whether you rock or not. Fingerpicking, strummed, foam pastry brush and slide, whatever. Please Make us a video!

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I think I found the perfect shirt to wear while playing that guitar...

Screenshot_20211024-102307~2.png

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
This would be a nice touch too...
Screenshot_20211024-103407~2.png

And it's not like I'm a complete stranger to wearing similar safety gear while playing either...
Screenshot_20211015-151000~5.png

Bobbyoso

TDPRI Member
That row of knobs right above the strings on the upper bout would be a dealbreaker for me. I prefer obstacle-free instruments. Cool looking tho, in a retro/Jetsons way, but for me, function wins over style.

Alamo

Doctor of Teleocity
I always wanted one of these, and feel that there's no reason for subtlety in the finish of what is already a wonderful whack-job of a guitar, so gold flake it will be. Why hold back now?
View attachment 912164
I can't quite make out what it says on the headstock.
What is it, who makes these?

it's whacky cool, and I like it :cool::)

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I can't quite make out what it says on the headstock.
What is it, who makes these?

it's whacky cool, and I like it :cool::)

Headstock logo says : 'Airline'.

It is made by the Canadian guitar company Eastwood.

It's a loose reproduction of a quirky reso-glass bodied, house brand guitar sold by either Montgomery Wards or Sears, can't recall which, back in the 1960's. The Eastwood reproduction of this guitar is wood- bodied rather than the fiberglass, two-piece, 'clamshell' bodied originals.

Jack White largely rekindled the interest in this model guitar by almost exclusively using an original red Airline guitar in many of his early recordings as The White Stripes.
Screenshot_20211024-130959~2.png

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Something was bugging me...I had seen a guitar like @John Backlund ’s gold flake thingy before, but where?

JB, I’d love to hear that thing whether you rock or not. Fingerpicking, strummed, foam pastry brush and slide, whatever. Please Make us a video!

It's just been shipped (from Liverpool, UK), but I don't know when it will arrive yet, but when it does, I'll try to whip up something 'appropriate' on this guitar and post it.

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Ok, this is crazy stuff.

I had figured that because the guitar was being shipped from Manchester, England, that it was anyone's guess when it might arrive, considering the problems with shipping these days, but the guitar is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, Friday the 29th, which I thought was likely some 'pie-in-the-sky' overly optimistic guestimate by FedEx, but no, it really is going to show up tomorrow, barely three days from it's UK origin, which, considering the times, is quite remarkable.

I'm kind of, as they say, 'stoked'.

As I type this, the guitar is only 350 miles east of me, in Sioux Falls, so it definitely will be here tomorrow...hopefully still in one piece, of course...

Screenshot_20211028-074757~2.png

Screenshot_20211028-074736~2.png

Screenshot_20211028-074715~2.png

Mike_LA

Tele-Afflicted
Ummm, so ..........
Have you plugged it in yet?
I realllllllllly don't need one but want one so I am hoping to live vicariously thru your acquisition...