"Oh what a lucky man he was" - Telecasters and Guitars

Strarcries

TDPRI Member
After taking my granddaughters swimming this morning I planned on relaxing but I heard a blues vamp on a TV show and so I decided to pick up my guitar and noodle. I walked into my music room and picked my 63 NOS Tele from it's wall hanger. It's my "go to" when I just want to play. It suddenly hit me that a) I was lucky enough to have a great guitar to select and b) how fortunate I was that the Beatles spurred my interest in guitars at the age of 14 and that interest has lasted 58 years and counting.
I am a player with modest skills and that's being generous. Yet, here I am at 70+ years having a half dozen beautiful guitars; recording software; bells and whistles, etc to give me a ton of enjoyment.
I have some friends who are retired but don't have many interests or ways to entertain themselves.
Anyway I just wanted to offer some perspective that the guitar (and music) is a lifelong pursuit and we are damn lucky to share it. It doesn't matter the skill level. If it makes you happy keep at it.
I still strive to improve my skills and learn new things but I am happy playing any music, whether it's easy or more challenging.
View attachment 1007151
Interesting. I have the same Tele, and color, two Strats, an 89 and a 70s avri, and a 91 Less Paul. I am 70.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
After taking my granddaughters swimming this morning I planned on relaxing but I heard a blues vamp on a TV show and so I decided to pick up my guitar and noodle. I walked into my music room and picked my 63 NOS Tele from it's wall hanger. It's my "go to" when I just want to play. It suddenly hit me that a) I was lucky enough to have a great guitar to select and b) how fortunate I was that the Beatles spurred my interest in guitars at the age of 14 and that interest has lasted 58 years and counting.
I am a player with modest skills and that's being generous. Yet, here I am at 70+ years having a half dozen beautiful guitars; recording software; bells and whistles, etc to give me a ton of enjoyment.
I have some friends who are retired but don't have many interests or ways to entertain themselves.
Anyway I just wanted to offer some perspective that the guitar (and music) is a lifelong pursuit and we are damn lucky to share it. It doesn't matter the skill level. If it makes you happy keep at it.
I still strive to improve my skills and learn new things but I am happy playing any music, whether it's easy or more challenging.
View attachment 1007151
Amen to that! When I was at school, kids seemed to polarise into two recreational groups, sport and music. I went the music route. Occasionally bump into old school chums nowadays. Noticeable is that those who took the music theme are mostly still playing something, somewhere, one is sure that his playing trumpet, (now with the Salvation Army) has helped him cope with asthma over the years. All have made friends over the years through playing. Those from tge sport fraternity have often given up. Reasons include physical limitations in older years, the need to go to purpose built facilities for most sports and needing the right weather to partake outdoors. The other thing I’ve noticed, especially as my children and now grandchildren make the same choices is that musicians are by and large a tolerant and friendly bunch happy to discuss the subject with anyone regardless of musical tastes and abilities. Sports lovers, especially football fans, tend to form into rival groups who become tetchy or even aggressive if the ‘other’ team win.
So, yes, music is a great bringer together and leveler, and great in later years when you can just pick up a Tele and lose yourself for a while. Mind you, as the vocalist puts her mic into a little black bag and heads home, leaving me with an amp, guitar, pedal board………I sometimes think flute would have been a wise choice! Never mind, I was a drummer for years and I’m not now the last one to leave!

Rock on Mr b, we are all, indeed, lucky people.

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
I picked it up at 38 yrs old, in 2019.

Within a year, I knew for a fact that I was hooked for life. I won't ever voluntarily quit playing. TBH, I should've started long ago. I always knew I listened to music differently than all of my friends did. It always affected me different than anyone else I knew. I was the only one trying to figure out if I could keep time with a song with no click track for reference. Or any number of things. Looking back, it's obvious today that even then, I was listening more as a musician would vs a consumer.

This gift couldn't have come at a better time for me, though. And it all started with a few youtube videos on a few guitar channels. After a few months, I convinced myself I could learn to play. So I started looking at guitars. After a few more months, I finally decided that I was ready. That no matter what happened, and no matter how long it took...

I would NEVER quit playing. It didn't matter if it took me 20 yrs to learn a single song. Once I buy that guitar, I'm in it for good. I wasn't going to end up like so many other people who didn't touch their guitar ever again after that first month.

Luckily for me, I took to it pretty easily. The moment I played my first riff, that was it. I was hooked. It took a few weeks but I finally got it and I was freakin STOKED. At that time, I could still go weeks without playing my guitar and didn't mind. That was Jan - Feb 2020. Today, it's been just about 20 months or so since I've missed a single day of playing my guitars. Yeah. I've played every single day since then.

I guess you could say I'm a guitar player? Lol

Edit: I didn't really get into why I consider it a gift so I guess I can touch on that. My daughter and only child was killed on July 1 2014 and Ive had a real tough time since that day. Learning to play has been the only time since that day that I've experienced genuine joy. And I couldn't be more grateful. Might be why I've played so much the last 20 months...
So sorry about your daughter. Other than that part, your story is awesome. I have no doubt you are a player for life and I am sure guitar will help you through the rest of your journey.

raysachs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
View attachment 1007151
I’m younger, still in my early 60’s, and I’m much more of a Strat guy than a tele guy, and I’m playing more acoustic than electric these days anyway, but otherwise I could have written this exact post. I’m a guy with no chops to speak of, and just a bit of taste on a good day. But after loving guitar music since I was a little kid, it took seeing my first Dead show and watching / hearing Jerry Garcia twist those wonderful lead lines out of his guitar when I was 18 to inspire me to go down to the local pawn shop and plunk down $60 on a really awful acoustic and finally START this lifelong love of playing music. That was in 1977, so I’m basically 45 years into it and love and appreciate it more every day. Had a long hiatus to raise a family and have a career, but I always kept a couple guitars around and never totally abandoned it, and then started back into it heavy duty about six years ago. I’ve been really into several other activities over the course of my life that I had a much greater aptitude for and was just plain much better at. But those have all come and gone for a variety of reasons, but I’ve never gotten tired of playing guitar. Can’t imagine my life without it really…

-Ray

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
Had a long hiatus to raise a family and have a career, but I always kept a couple guitars around and never totally abandoned it, and then started back
Same here. Family and career took precedence but I always picked up my acoustic and played when the opportunity presented itself. I didn’t even have an electric for nearly 20 years but purchased one in the early 90s, then another.
I’ve never gotten tired of playing guitar. Can’t imagine my life without it really…
Same here and, as I stated in my OP, I’m very thankful. It’s a lifetime passion.

Blue Bill

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Beans, nice collection! I'm with you, brother; sometimes I walk into my music room and can't believe my luck. Thanks for posting some happiness.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
There are a couple of other times Mrs H makes me put down my guitar ;).

Mow the lawn, take out the garbage, etc, :cool:
Used to be one other time but, we’ll, less frequent occurrence as I get older……………..