Oh well. The UK welcomes its new fast food overlords.

scrapyardblue

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Honest question.

Apart from the addictive sugar content in most fast food and the fact that it is aimed at kids and time poor, all designed to hook the consumer.

Do Americans eat this type of take away because you don't "have" to tip
You've mentioned the addictiveness and eluded to cheap. The third most prevalent reason, in my opinion, is convenience. Takes just a few minutes.

Tipping or lack of probably wouldn't be one of the top reasons. Not familiar with Australian customs, but do you folks always take an hour or so to be served?

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have learned I don't like Indian cuisine.
And it's weird, I like spicy, I like thai and chinese very much, but I don't care for Indian and I don't like Japanese food either, after repeated attempts at both

That Cal Webway

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Color me Yahoo Serious...
-but I think people are able to choose what they want to eat. Is it a poor choice(s)??
Whatevs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but here in Moline we live on Viceroy's and Slim Jim's.

🎤 🦆

metalicaster

Friend of Leo's
Some UK versions of fast food are pale imitations. Tim Hortons UK is awful. Do they ship the food all the way from Canada on a slow boat? Just terrible. But the British Taco Bell is so authentic that you really can’t go too far from a toilet for a day afterwards.

ricknbaker

Tele-Afflicted
I prefer slow food. Nothing beats a long Sunday lunch in a place like this:

download.jpeg

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
Do Americans eat this type of take away because you don't "have" to tip

It's primarily for convenience or at least it used to be. Many fast food places operate on skeleton crews now to save on costs and to deal with the lack of people willing and able to take these jobs. This has resulted in very poor service at most locations, especially when you get out into semi-rural areas where I live.

Due to labor shortages, supply chain issues and inflation, cost savings vs a regular restaurant doesn't really exist now unless you order certain specials and those are disappearing.

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
I'm surprised none of the brits have mentioned 'Wetherspoons' food pubs where culinary delights are always on offer and their 'all day breakfasts' have saved many a hungover chap's following day :lol:

aFewGoodTaters

Tele-Meister
When I lived in the UK, in Manchester, there was(*) this knock-off of Kentucky Fried Chicken cleverly named "Kansas Fried Chicken". I would have loved to have been a fly-on-the-wall when they were brainstorming name ideas.

(*) Checks ... still there!
I live in Manchester currently (US expat here for at least a year, maybe more). My wife and I have strolled past the Kansas Fried Chicken joint a couple times and had a good chuckle. Haven't tried it...don't think we will, if I'm being honest.

We have seen quite a few KFCs and McDonalds, but haven't seen a Popeyes or Taco Bell yet. I could maybe try Popeyes but couldn't bring myself to trying Taco Bell. Haven't had that in ten years or more, and have no desire to have it ever again. I have noticed with American chains, the food here is a bit different in taste and menu then back home in the States (usually for the better).

Also, regarding the curry debate, the curry here is outstanding and I've had nothing close to this quality of Indian back in States. Not only is it significantly better, but it's also much less expensive.

Kandinskyesque

Friend of Leo's
Cheesy chips and gravy is already a staple side for deep fried Mars bars. 😁
Where I used to live, just outside Glasgow, a local takeaway sold cheesy donner meat and chips with the option of curry sauce.

My mate lived on their "munchy boxes" which was a mixture of kebab meat, pizza, chips and pakora.
He hasn't aged well.

aging_rocker

Poster Extraordinaire
It takes a lot more than an occasional Happy Meal to make someone obese. Lack of exercise has a lot more to do with it.
Yep, It's what you do (or don't do) every day that causes the problems.
I had a happy meal once, survived :cool:

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Taco Bell is okay for young, drunk college students. After that the percentage of human digestive systems that can process that "food like substance" drops off dramatically.

I'm nearly 60 and had a taco supreme last night. I'll likely have one or two more before the year's out.