Oh, the heck with them big rocket bikes I was talking about last week.

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
This week, I want one of those new 2022 BSA 650 Gold Star singles being made in Birmingham UK by Mahindra.

Screenshot_20211208-130324~3.png

Screenshot_20211208-185232~3.png

Screenshot_20211208-185308~2.png

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
THUMPER!!!

I confess to preferring singles to all other engines. And too big for one cylinder is just big enough.

What's a 'single' ? One cylinder/piston?

( as mentioned before, I know nothing, just think bikes look cool!- especially ones with a retro style)

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
Motorcycles scare the carp out of me since I know I couldn't resist pushing the envelope. I know my limitations, so I only observe from a distance.

But darn, Mr. Backlund sure makes me happy when I read about all of his two wheeled adventures.

Just be careful out there, I want to read about this for years to come.

And yes, get the red one!

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
yeah, I'm on a couple motorcycle boards & its makin' the rounds. about 45 hp, 650cc, liquid cooled, fuel injected, decent suspension and ABS. about 470 pounds wet. I forget the wheel base but its not exactly a small bike either

the cylinder looks huge because its supposed to look like Goldie. it could be much smaller and doesn't need the fins either. they are claiming it gets over 70 mpg. it will be "sporty" but not a fireball by any means.... 45 hp isn't that much

Last edited:

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I used to ride a thumper. The big problem with that was, I discovered winding up first gear and hammering second would put the front wheel in front of my face. It was so easy to cross intersections on the back wheel that I knew something bad would happen. So I sold it and bought a Harley.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
The only 4-stroke "thumper" I ever owned was a CL100 Honda. :rolleyes: Bigger bikes were at least 2 cylinders, all of Japanese manufacture

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
My dad tells a story about a brief period of owning a BSA 441 something in college, and trying to look cool after a football game for some girls. He said he figured he‘d hop on, give it a kick and blast off, but instead it kicked back hard and pretty much folded him around the handlebars as the girls walked away, laughing.

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
yeah, I'm on a couple motorcycle boards & its makin' the rounds. about 45 hp, 650cc, liquid cooled, fuel injected, decent suspension and ABS. about 470 pounds wet. I forget the wheel base but its not exactly a small bike either

the cylinder looks huge because its supposed to look like Goldie. it could be much smaller and doesn't need the fins either. they are claiming it gets over 70 mpg. it will be "sporty" but not a fireball by any means.... 45 hp isn't that much

It wheelbase is a tick over 56 inches.

My Kawasaki W800 is only 47 hp, (the same as the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 twin) and could be described as a 'sleepy' engine, slow revving with what feels like a huge flywheel effect, but it can be a lot of fun on our backroads, hustled right along, and will smoothly run down I-90 at 75 mph without feeling too strained.

I suspect that the BSA would be similar in its power delivery, and might even be better in it's throttle response, but until there are some ride reviews, who knows.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet, but I'm assuming that a modern 650 single engine would have to have a counterbalancer in there someplace. A single that size would almost certainly be a brutally savage shaker without it.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire

470lbs?!
Way too heavy for a thumper. That 45hp is likely a crankshaft number too. I predict it's going to be a boring ride compared to a real gold star.

Last edited: