Oh no! Now I'm building a CNC?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by John Nicholas, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As long as it will do that after a re-initialization after a "crash" that will be a good thing!

John Nicholas likes this.
  2. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

My guess is you didn't watch the video, but midway through the video he does exactly that... does a simulated "crash", then shows how to restart the code and continue... like I mentioned before, it's a very professional setup!

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  3. John Nicholas

Today the E-stop and Pendant were connected. And tested using Masso.

IMG_2105.JPG

IMG_2111.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

IMG_2106.JPG

When the E-Stop is “closed” and in work condition, the Button on the Masso screen is white. When the E-Stop is pressed in the “off” position it blinks back and forth from white background to red, with the message to “Release Button”.

IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_2102.JPG

IMG_2104.JPG

Then I got to build a single stepper motor cable B Axis which I color coded Green.

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2113.JPG

Tomorrow I will be building the rest of the cables and test the stepper motors, along with the keyboard and pendant.

Jim_in_PA and JayneV like this.
  4. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

Nice work with the cables. I like the idea of colour coding each axis. Are the colours some kind of recognised standard or did you you choose your own colours?

The Masso user interface looks well laid out and easy to use. I’m excited to see things slowly being powered up.

Jayne

5. John Nicholas

Thank you!

I'm not sure there is a recognized standard for color coding the cables, so I made something up. A part of my build is building a manual, with every single part of what I'm doing recorded.

Here is a screenshot of just a part of my Wiring Matrix. Everything is recorded and the color codes for the stepper motor cables are listed, along with how long each one is. If you look carefully, you will see that the proximity switches will also be color coded, using the same color per Axis....

Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 8.15.25 AM.png

As for the Masso... that is one fabulous piece of equipment. My CNC will not need a computer to run code, only the Masso. It is easy to use, setup and does not require any programming by the user.

When I added up the cost of all the parts needed without the Masso, it was quite a bit more expensive. Plus you would need to have a computer running at all times to power your CNC. I work on computers all day long, they require re-boots, do strange things and take a long time to boot up.

The Masso takes about 10 seconds to boot up.... to me, it was a no brainer!

nickhofen, JayneV and RogerC like this.
  6. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

A detailed manual is a great idea. When you need to troubleshoot any problems in the future, having the manual will be extremely handy.

Jayne

7. John Nicholas

It’s been quite some time since my last update. It’s been a very rough month or so dealing with many health issues. Just an FYI, cancer sucks.

I’m beginning to feel better and finally got to do a bit of work on my CNC project. Also haven’t updated the work I did many weeks ago.

Built all the stepper motor cables and color coded them to make it easier to troubleshoot any issues along the way.

IMG_2118.JPG

Then wired up all the Stepper Motor drivers, the connectors to the motors, to the power supplies and the wires to the Masso controller. Of course my goal was to keep all the wires neat, professional and clean… I think I accomplished that goal. What do you think?

IMG_2122.JPG

IMG_2123.jpg

Labeled all the connectors and switches on the controller box.

IMG_2124.jpg

Connected everything to test the cables, controls and pendant on the work bench. Thankfully, everything worked perfectly.

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

Then ran a test G-Code file .

IMG_2214.JPG

Next up was to connect all the stepper motors to the chassis. Again keeping with the OCD deal, everything is laid our carefully and neatly.

IMG_2220.JPG

IMG_2227.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

Some bad news was discovered during testing, the motor covers are made from a plastic which tends to melt. This was a very sad discovery. My hope is even though the motors get tremendously hot, that when they are connected to the chassis, it may act as a heat sink.

At some point these will need to be either need to be reprinted using a higher temperature plastic or I may even use the CNC to cut new ones using Aluminum.

More to come…..

8. Jim_in_PA

The attention to neatness and order will pay of in spades over the long life of the machine, John. It's easier to keep clean and easier to troubleshoot or even adapt to new requirements.

'Glad to see your post today, my friend!

9. John Nicholas

A part of setting up the proximity switches requires a trigger that is made of steel, so some small triggers were made and installed. Yes I polished them!!

IMG_2301.JPG

IMG_2303.JPG

Then started wiring up the proximity switches to the aviation connectors and the control box connectors.

IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2309.JPG

IMG_2310.JPG

Then ran all the wires from the controller box proximity aviation connectors to the Masso.

IMG_2313.JPG

The proximity switches require a 5.6K resistor, instead of jumping them on the Masso, Helmut suggested getting a small board and running the wires through that board. It helps me to keep things clean, neat and professional. Yes, there are “spare” resistors on the board.

IMG_2312.JPG

Then everything was connected to the Masso.

IMG_2314.JPG

In order to keep the wiring correct, I drew up a diagram. This was so very helpful in making sure all the wires were connected properly.

Wiring Diagram.JPG

Wiring Diagram 1.JPG

I’m very happy with the progress so far...

nickhofen, Jim_in_PA, JayneV and 2 others like this.
  10. John Nicholas

Finally got to hang the controller box and connect all the cables, including the monitor and pendant.

IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2324.JPG

Then the water cooler arrived! So of course I had to open it to check what was inside. It looks much better than the other ones I was looking at and the price of was really good. Under $250.00

IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2305.JPG

IMG_2304.JPG

IMG_2306.JPG

IMG_2325.JPG

Once everything was connected, I powered it all up. Next was to test the movement of my CNC chassis.

IMG_2328.JPG

Of course the only way to see how it works is to shoot a video! The funky click like sound is the pendant being spun to move the chassis.

It’s moving along nicely. There are still so many steps required to get it up and running and to make the first cut. Hopefully my health will continue to improve so I can proceed forward with my project.

11. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

John, this is truly beautiful work. What a thrill to make those first movements under power.

So glad you are feeling better and hope you continue to feel better.

12. John Nicholas

Thank you so much Jim!

13. John Nicholas

It was so exciting to actually see the machine move under its own power.

The fact that I'm feeling better is a huge win for me! I hope it continues in this direction.

JayneV likes this.
  14. Jim_in_PA

That chiller is pretty neat...clearly a great solution compared to the bucket on the floor that so many folks use. LOL

John Nicholas and JayneV like this.
  15. John Nicholas

Yeah the big bucket on the floor didn't appeal to me in any way. I've been searching for the correct chiller for a while, there were many choices. Some very expensive and others really cheap, this one seems just right for my purposes.

Jim_in_PA and JayneV like this.
  16. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm really enjoying this build great to follow everything looks top notch. I do have one question have you kept a ledger of the time you have in the build? I know it's best not to the time we all spend building stuff

17. John Nicholas

Hey thanks Dave.

As for keeping a log of the time I spent on the build. Particularly because with my health and all the drugs I'd been taking, I move really, really slow. When cutting the Aluminum on the table saw, I really went super slow and careful. There is no need to get injured building something for a hobby.

You can get an idea with the timing of the start of the build, that it took many, many months.

Then there are the issues, broken bits and problems along the way. Here's a silly example. When I got the motors connected and was testing one of the motors stopped turning the ball screw on the left side Y Axis. It turned out that the coupler was accidentally stripped and wasn't holding on tight enough to use turn the ball screw.

So I did a bit of silly work, taking a counter bore to the stripped part, then used an exacto knife to carve a nut slot so the coupler could be tightened properly.

They say a pictures says a thousand words....

IMG_2327.JPG

It's not super clean, but it works!!

Jim_in_PA and SacDAve like this.
  18. Davecam48

Davecam48 Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations on your first trial run John!!!

DC

19. John Nicholas

Thank you so much Dave. It was very, very exciting!!

20. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Excellent work John

Almost makes me want one
    Almost

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.