1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Oh my, PRS...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jakedog, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'd rock the white one.

Funny, I like the recent Charvel Pro-Mods, different guitar but similar config and aesthetic. I was in High School in mid-late 90s. Me and my friends all thought holdover 80s-90s shredders and their Charvels-Jacksons were the lamest thing in the world. Not that long ago, either guitar would have screamed "too shreddy" to me. My attitude's either wearing off or I'm shedding the last of my vanity. These are good looking guitars in a useful configuration, and I'm sure everything on the PRS is just exactly perfect. It certainly was on my $1K S2 22 Std.

My own playing is old fashioned and unfast, but I sure do like a 12"+ radius anyway.

Jakedog likes this.
  2. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Interesting new guitar from PRS, I wonder if superstats are about to make a comeback. I've always been impressed by the quality of every PRS guitar I've played, even the cheap ones. That said, there's just something about them that's never gelled with me -- they always seem a bit bland tone wise.

Jakedog and Drew617 like this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

It’s 10”. Even better!

dburns likes this.
  4. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

That does go on the hmmmm list. I really like the new Core Studio, but the cost...

Jakedog likes this.
  5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

If you don't like single coils then this could be the model for you, it comes in some other colors, pricey though! I like it but out of my range studio_2021_strailght.png

Studio - 2021 (prsguitars.com)

swervinbob likes this.
  6. Jakedog

I love single coil sounds. I don’t like single coil noise. In some of the places I play, and in my house, it’s unbearable. I just can’t take it. At the very least, I must have a noiseless bridge pickup. That where I spend the majority of my playing time. And yeah, that’s way out of my price range. I’m a working player, not a collector.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

I find it somewhat humorous that before the PRS-SS most of the forum threads were about how much people hated the 7.25 necks on old guitars. Many questions about contouring the frets on those to standard 9.5 while leaving the neck (and guitar value) alone. How everyone hated the notes choking out on bends ... and then just one popular artist demands a copy of his vintage guitar and all the world suddenly wants 7.25 or are curious about it or think it's fine and dandy. I remain suspicious that once everyone has had a chance to try out a 7.25 for extended periods, when the curiosity is sated, they will be as unpopular as the 7,8,9 string guitars have seemed to vanish. A big fad. With that second PRS artist model having a modern ten inch radius there must already be cracks stirring in the 7.25 style.

Flipping guitars I've found the only 'Signature models' that sell easy and for real money are: Gibson, Fender, and PRS. Put a Santana, or Mayer on there or attached to the design, and you need to find a buyer who likes the core brand, that style model, and not hate the artist. The Venn diagram gets pretty tight and the buyers scarce. So I've learned to keep wide of signatures.

If you want to try out something useful for the noise angle and still have single coils ... get a traditional SSS Strat-Like-Object and rewire with the Armstrong Blender mod. It's a wiring only change, no new parts. It gives the classic Strat base tones but you can roll into HSH. Sometimes you need a little thicker or a little noise off the top and you can do it with this mod. If it's really noisy you can dial it up to full humbucker mode. You can back off full humbucker mode if the distortion is too fizzy and get some single coil bite. You can mod the pots to change sweep/taper.

It's the mod I install on my regularly played Strats. I found I don't want a Strat to be HSS and redundant with HH guitars but the flexibility to keep all the classic tones plus roll into a Super Strat HSH is handy. I have it on a couple of Fenders, my pickup mule guitar and a 'Spectrum' big box store guitar I got for $20 or so (after a fret level and mod it's a fun inexpensive guitar).

Here's a demo I found a while back when pulling up the circuit mod video for another thread.

8. Jakedog

I’ve never been a 7.25 fan. When I was younger, I didn’t know about fretboard radius, I just knew that all the older guys I played with had a really high action and their guitars felt weird. Even when I first got into vintage guitars I didn’t get it. At first when I was still a kid I thought “it must be better. It’s vintage!”. I had no idea that guys like SRV and Clapton, and loads of others had flattened theirs out. Sometimes not purposely, it was just a byproduct of re-frets and fretboard leveling. But they didn’t have a radius like the reissue guitars I was trying to play.

I can somewhat get around a vintage radius with very tall frets. It helps. But it’s still not great.

Now, Paul Smith says that you can have a 7.25 radius, and very nice action, with no choking or fretting out. *But* you have to have an absolutely perfect fretboard and perfectly leveled and dressed frets, and nobody bothers to do that. I’d like to play one and see if he’s right. Because I know that replacing tiny vintage frets with larger wire and a great fret job makes a big difference in 7.25 radius guitars. I know it from personal experience. So I’d like to try his take on it.

But then, why? When there are a zillion other high end guitars I already like, including PRS, why buy one with a feature I don’t dig? Because, sooner or later those frets are gonna wear, and it’s not gonna play any differently than anything else 7.25. That perfection that makes it function like nothing else will be gone.

thunderbyrd likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.