1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Oh my, PRS...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jakedog, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

you need to find yourself a Music Man Cutlass to try out -- stellar quality, amazing neck, and no little birdies on the fretboard. They've been around long enough to turn up used from time to time. I love mine.

3. Jakedog

A guy I gig with has a couple of the “Family Reserve” versions. They’re really nice guitars, but not for me. I just don’t dig the shape/pickguard. They look weird to me. They do play like a million bucks, and sound fantastic. No denying that.

I like the birds. Always have. I remember way back in the late 80’s my brother and I were flipping through a guitar magazine and saw a picture of Alex Lifeson, who we both idolized at the time. He was playing a PRS. It was the first time we’d ever seen one. We had no idea what it was, but we both agreed it looked amazing. And we both thought the bird inlays were one of the coolest things we’d ever seen. Guess I never got over it.

BluesGuitarMart, gitold and RobRiggs like this.
  4. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i don't like a 7.25 radius either, but i spent about an hour playing the silver sky and the radius didn't matter at all. but maybe it's not that way for everyone.

but i could see getting one, someday.

Jakedog likes this.
  5. Jakedog

I haven’t tried one in person, and you aren’t the first person I’ve heard say this. I guess I do need to play one in person before drawing a line in the sand. But it still has the three singles. I cannot abide humming pickups. I can get past some of it, but the bridge definitely has to be hum free. Non-negotiable. That’s where I spend the overwhelming majority of my time.

I have a huge mental block against spending over $2k on a guitar and replacing pickups. Or doing any work whatsoever beyond setup and adjustment. I just figure if I’m gonna spend that much, I’ll just get what I want and be done with it. It shouldn’t need any parts changed until I wear out or break something.

6. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I like Mark L.'s playing and taste in guitars. Not a PRS guy, myself, but I could definitely see checking one out if I had the chance.

Jakedog likes this.
  7. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

It is purdy...and oughta be a great one. I've nothing helpful, really :oops:.

nojazzhere and Jakedog like this.
  8. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

I have no problem with a 7.25 or three singles ('62 Strat RI owner), but IMO you're paying a lot of money for JM's name and some bird inlays. Great guitar, sure, but for $2300+ you might as well get a used CS Strat or something.

9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Look for a used one where someone put in humbuckers already.

10. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

IDK, I’ve played a Silver Sky and find it a really great playing guitar. I didn’t have much problem with bends either, despite the 7.25 radius. OTOH, I can’t get over the headstock. Strats need 6 in a line, not 3 on a side....

Yes, I know that is a pretty minor thing to get hung up on.

Jakedog likes this.
  11. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

A long time ago, before you could sell one for enough to buy a house, I sold my pre-CBS Tele because of the fretboard radius. If I lowered the action enough to be comfortable it would fret out on bends. The first time I played a Silver Sky I couldn’t make it fret out even with ridiculous bends. PRS almost always gets it right, IMO.

Jakedog and thunderbyrd like this.
  12. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

I'm pretty sure PRS himself would be greatly offended that you implied there was anything Strat-like about the silver sky

nicknklv likes this.
  13. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I find that hard to believe, since he was discussing the Strat origins of the guitar when it was released.

Jakedog likes this.
  14. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Reminds me of the original Soapbar II slab mahogany guitars, but with a different motor in it:

[​IMG]

Jakedog, RobRiggs and nojazzhere like this.
  15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I find the 3/3 headstock on the Silver Sky ugly personally.

The 3/3 headstock on the one @Jakedog linked less so.

I wonder if they are subtly different in scale/shape? But I don’t care enough to figure that out. :lol:

Jakedog likes this.
  16. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

2300 bucks is a lot for that guitar, fer sure. but the one i played, my buddy payed about 1500 for. it was used, but had pretty much no playing time on it. i had one priced to me for 1400.

i've tried to remember if the pick-ups were noisey, i don't think they were.

i think i'll probably get one, eventually.

Jakedog likes this.
  17. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

It's not for me, but most guitars aren't for me. I don't think PRS is having any trouble making sales. It is interesting seeing them go into the Strat-a-like market, and they seem to be doing fine there.

I don't care for the birds. I never have, even back when I owned some PRS guitars around 20 years ago (all moons). Of course, that's true of sunbursts, too. Cosmetics are personal.

Jakedog likes this.
  18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They look great!
    Personally, I covet a 513.
    The Silver Sky looks cool, by my EJ Strat scratches that itch.
    The 513 seems to be really versatile.

Jakedog likes this.
  19. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I'd like to play one .

Jakedog likes this.
  20. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

FWIW, the guitar Jakedog is talking about differs from the Silver Sky. The Mark Lettieri signature that he linked does have a 'bucker in the bridge and doesn't have a 7.25 radius...I think it's 9.5.

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.