1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

oh fudge! Alinco Tone Tubby doesn't fit in Blues Jr.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ronetele, May 17, 2004.

1. Ronetele

Ronetele TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

My Blues Jr is stock. And while I get very positive comments on it's tone, I've been looking to try some different speakers. In particular, I wanted something that wasn't as piercing on the high end and something that wasn't as flabby on the low end as the stock speaker seems to be. So I was pretty excited to get a great deal on an Alinco Hemp Tone Tubby from Larry here on TDPRI's Garage Sale.

This is the 1st time that I've worked on a combo amp. My 1st surprise came when I found that the speaker has to be replaced from the back. Right? That is, the baffle board doesn't remove from the front. No, that would be too easy. But it was pretty easy to lift out the electronics chasis and pull the stock speaker from the back. No worries.

But boy was I surprised to find that the back of the back of the speaker's magnet enclosure bumps into the metal box (chasis) that holds the circuit board and such. So I couldn't put the combo back together with the Tone Tubby installed. The speaker with the alinco magnet is clearly longer than the stock ceramic. But it's also narrower and I thought it would fit. Wrong. I need like 3/8" more space. I may mess around with making a new baffle board, there is a bit of room to drop the speaker lower in the cabinet. Not sure that will make enough difference tho, it will still be very close. Any advice would be appreciated.

Otherwise, I had been thinking to get a small Mesa Boogie Studio Caliber and maybe the speaker would fit into one of those?

2. Monster Mike Welch

Monster Mike Welch Tele-Meister

The bell cover on the magnet should clip right off...that should give you the room you need.

Hope this helps.

M

3. Ronetele

bell cap (aka magnetic cap) removal, saga continues

Thanks, that was good advice. I had to do a bit of sluething to figure out how to get the bell cap off. You can read about it hear if you like as well as see some pics:

http://www.mimi.com/music/instrumen...kerReplacement/bluesJrSpeakerReplacement.html

The bottom line, it still doesn't fit. But it may be close enough now that cutting the bottom off of the baffle board to move it down may work. It will still be close. Any words of wisdome before I take out the saw?

4. Ronetele

Took minor surgery, but I got the Tone Tubby to fit the Blue

Indeed, I had to 'lower' the baffle board so that the bottom of the speark is actually below the level of the bottom of the box. Used a chisel to provide the relief. This provided about 1/4" clearance between the magnet and the electronics chasis. Whew! A 20 minute job that took 3 hours.

I've only had 10 minutes to play with the new speaker and am still evaluating/learning the sound of the Tone Tubby. It's quite different than the stock speaker. Less harsh, less peaky/more even, a much more 'solid' sound. And the Tone Tubby seems to better bring out the gain in the amp, I get better sustain, way better. know a speaker could make that difference?

I'll post pics tomorrow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.