1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Oh boy.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ironwolf, Mar 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to talk to Toto all of the time, but he's gone now, and Alex my new dog is so self centered he just wants to talk about himself. He said he's had it pretty RUFF!

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Unexpected post - and one that needs to be read by a few blokes in this thread.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yeah. grouphug :rolleyes:

aerhed likes this.
  4. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

5. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

6. Xanderbeanz

Xanderbeanz TDPRI Member

PS, I can change a lightbulb, and a plug btw. Had my first serious burn with a soldering iron the other week too, doing some circuit bending :lol:

artdecade likes this.
  7. Xanderbeanz

Xanderbeanz TDPRI Member

The general rule is don’t group hug unless you know that the members of said hug have washed recently.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

ohhhh owh, there you go, that's what I like,
    " the light stopped working so I 'll just sit here in the dark."
    color me dim,
    If you hadn't posted the incriminating artifact, I would have thought you were winding us up.

9. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Well, ya' asked. It's a TDPRI public service, that'll be 49.95.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. Xanderbeanz

Xanderbeanz TDPRI Member

That joke is a groaner.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister

WW2 Motorcycle.

I was wondering that. The bike's not a BMW though - anyone know what it is? looks a bit BSA to me.

Answer: DKW NZ 350 Two Stroke

Velorex

12. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I know the wiring at my place is not very good, but LED bulbs seem to wear out much faster than regular ones.

13. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

AGREED! If we (parental units of the younger generation) didn't teach the young'uns how to either do specific things, or how to find out how to do specific things, it's on us. We weren't born with a grout sponge in our hands. Someone taught us.

Anacharsis likes this.
  14. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

that should not be the case... most of the leds in my house are rated for 50,000 hours which would be almost 6 years if they were on 24 hours a day every day... I've had mine in for 5 years and NONE have failed.

15. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

This a million times. I am a member of Gen X. I remember watching Baby Boomers raise their kids, and I saw this coming two decades away. The helpless ones got that way due to a truly annoying amount of alternating coddling and absentee parenting by parents who made it all about themselves.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  16. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have a very difficult time relating to people in the "Millennial" and younger age groups. My life hasn't been quite as fraught with adventure as TD's for example, but I had a lot of learning experiences by the time I was in my 30s. I did not come from a wealthy family, my father was a carpenter and my mother a school librarian. As a teenager I worked on my great grandfather's ranch, doing everything from rounding up cattle to branding them. I worked as a flagger for a crop dusting service, dodging aircraft with their wheels skimming the top of the crops while they lined up their passes on me. I helped my grandfather finish restoring a 1927 Model T, and learned machining while I helped him build a 2/3 scale steam tractor. I rebuilt a Chevy 327 for my dad's car, and I repaired a wrecked Alfa Romeo convertible and drove it through my senior year of high school and through college. I did this while maintaining a 3.6 GPA, playing lead trombone in band and Jazz band and playing guitar in a garage band.

I went to college and took a Major in European History, three Minors (American History, Military Science and General Science) and I worked my way through with only one student loan my senior year for $1500 dollars that I was short for the year.

I commissioned into the Army where I was assigned to the Ordnance Corps, with a specialty in Guided Missile and Special Weapons Maintenance Management. I learned the basic ins and outs of electronics, computers, radar systems and even some literal rocket science and spent the next 5 years running maintenance units that handled everything from shoulder fired Redeyes and Stingers to Pershing ballistic missiles and the warheads they carried. I even spent my last year of active duty serving on the General Staff. When I left the Army I moved to Dallas and spent a period managing the delivery trucks and drivers for the Dallas Times Herald. Finally, I returned to Idaho and started working in IT with HP.

All that was by the time I was 35. Since then I have worked in IT for several other companies, increased my skill set and done development work at HP and now Micron.

Why aren't young people going out and learning to do things and gaining life experience anymore? Is momma's basement that comfortable? Surely they are interested in more than smart phones and video games?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    trouserpress and Toto'sDad like this.
  17. blowtorch

Yep. Try doing that these days.

Times, and the job market opportunites available have changed a smidgen, in all those decades since your day, old timer :)

18. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

To quote the late great George Carlin, “It’s all bs, and it’s bad for ya.” What gets tedious for me is ANY form of separatism. We’re all in this together, folks. We need each other. When you consider the human kind in it’s totality, the things we use to separate each other from one another amounts to diddly.

I know I’m addressing a tiny microcosm of humanity here in this forum, but what I would like to say as an open letter to the whole planet is, “KNOCK IT OFF!” Be nice to each other.

I admire millennials for taking control of their destiny and reevaluating what’s really important in their lives. Besides, who’s going to change my bedpans when I’m decrepit in the nursing home? Another boomer? Nope, it’s going to be a millennial or what ever comes after millennials.

And by the way, millennials, not every boomer is an angry old bastard shaking his fist at the clouds. Some of us really care about our world and want to nurture it and everyone in it, regardless of what all the separatists think or say.

Rant over. I love you all.

19. blowtorch

You might need me, I dunno.
    But I don't need you.

Nothing personal :)

8barlouie likes this.
  20. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

One day you might need me. I’ll be there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.