1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Oh boy.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ironwolf, Mar 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I never had kids, so I can bemoan them as a reflection of those who did.

:)

aerhed, trev333 and ozcal like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Another thing that occurred to me is that I am barely competent with newer technology. Phones, computers, even many TV's are a challenge for me.....and don't even try to give me a new amp that has to be programmed, interfaced, or whatever to get a decent sound. I don't use half the pedals on my board because I'm intimidated. I'll just say, the younger kids have just acquired a different set of skills than my generation. ;)

3. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Dad was a woodcutting machinist for a shopfitting company, he taught me how to fix things around the house, jobs needed doing and there was no money to pay anyone to do them. I would have been about 13 or 14 when I first painted the outside of the house. Mum had worked at the knicker factory and taught me how to knit, sew, and iron. I taught myself how to cook. I'm a capable bicycle mechanic and can do stuff on the car to a similar level, bleed brakes, change disks, oil, filters, water pumps etc, but nothing fancy. My two thirty something daughters have done most things that I have, some things they have not done often enough to be confident without a reminder, but they also know how to rig a dinghy, pack a parachute, mix lime and horsehair mortar and thatch a roof, and maybe a few things they think it better I don't know about. When I've needed a hand with bigger jobs they will help me out and visa versa. They enjoy being capable, it has given them confidence in themselves, they also enjoy working with others to get things done. Maybe it is a result of my working class roots, as my friends whose parents were middle class don't seem to have the same skillset.

My wife is Irish, one of eight kids, and although they can all cut turf in the bog, milk a cow, deliver a calf and look after a field of potatoes or cabbage, apart from one of her brothers that is the extent of it. One brother, despite being illiterate, runs his own car and machinery servicing business, and will build any piece of equipment to his own design that he needs. The rest don't do a thing for themselves. It seems to be a cultural thing, other folks are employed to do the painting, electricals, plumbing, car repair, even cut the grass! It seems to be a similiar story with our neighbours in France.

gwjensen and nojazzhere like this.
  4. nojazzhere

And the picture on the right is probably Justin Bieber.......what's your point? ;)

Pick_n_Strum likes this.
  5. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dang! That's $129,339 in US 'Murican' money!

Canner, nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not sure onepoll.com is emblematic of quality research.

It's wonderful to live in an age where I don't have to do certain tasks that used to be a must. My 88 y.o. mother excited to get her new cellular Apple Watch today says it's even more wonderful to see the bigger gap from her age difference. Even considering using some skills I have is silly because specialization means I maximize my time, income and well being. Why wouldn't that apply to others?

I'm a boomer but also feel the millennials deserve a break and find some of the most inane behavior I have to deal with comes from contemporaries who don't embrace change. I just spent the morning at project, compliance, training and security tasks. It would have been a few hours wasted if not for the millennials who were thinking and doing while most of my contemporaries were whining.

As far as getting anything done, part of my afternoon should go much better - solving pricing and logistics matters in a department that's now all millennial or gen z and 100% female.

Xanderbeanz likes this.
  7. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

At risk of getting this thread closed down, can I say that it won't be for much longer.

omahaaudio likes this.
  8. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

You're assuming she's Jewish then?

9. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Quick, make a YouTube video

monetize that sucker

10. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

It seems the battle is between boomers and millenials. I'm glad I'm a gen X product so I can ref the match.

Xanderbeanz, gwjensen and artdecade like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I like this, but I don't get it. Did I spell pound wrong? Should that be dog pound. How bout pound sand? Pound de leon? :lol:

dougstrum likes this.
  12. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

13. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I almost don’t believe it. I sure don’t want too.

14. Pick_n_Strum

Pick_n_Strum Tele-Meister

I thought the post was funny. I just would be less proud if my grandpa was fighting for Hitler.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

When I was thirteen, the duty of fixing the car fell to me since my stepdad thought an anvil was a pretty complicated piece of machinery. When the car wouldn't start, he'd holler, boy get out there and start that car. I'd get the hood up, then cuss a little, then pray a little, somehow I would always get 'er going. Since I've owned a computer starting in 1995, I've always done my own repairs to my computers, first I cuss a little, then pray a little, and somehow I always get 'er going.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

A young man brought up in that environment would think he was doing the "right thing". I would be conflicted about my granddad. Again, TDPRI, you are making me reflect on truth and reality.

Pick_n_Strum and nojazzhere like this.
  17. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I love that Generation H(elpless) thing.
    Although my 22yo son couldn't be more opposite than the stereotype of his age group.

gwjensen likes this.
  18. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

You mixed numerals and text, when convention would be 101,000 lbs

FLHT and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

My next door neighbor's light burned out on his garage there are two of them one on each side of the garage door. I said hey do you need a lightbulb, I've got some extras? He replied no man, I got a guy coming over to do that, I don't mess with that electrical stuff. This is the same guy who moved to MONTANA!

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. nojazzhere

Just wonderin', TD.....was your stepdad's anvil tube or solid state? I understand those older SS anvils WERE pretty complicated. ;)

drlucky and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.