1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Oh boy.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ironwolf, Mar 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

This right here is another opportunity to say: I'm glad I lived when I did, this brave new world might just be too much for me if I was starting over.

P Thought and Chunkocaster like this.
  2. Toto'sDad

I'll bet the boys are really good at video games though!

dougstrum and Obsessed like this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They are probably too busy saving up for the course and following licence to change the light bulb, wipe themselves etc.

I think they have been kept dumb so the crazy systems/ red tape we have to live under are maintained without question.

If I want to install a footpath around a bus stop I need to wait for a 5 man crew of people to put signs and cones out on the road, block a whole lane and stand there watching me work all day. They did the lengthy course in order to know how to put the signs out and place the cones in order to get their licence. :)

I don't know how I and every other guy that does a similar job managed without them for the first 20 years. Apparently its a miracle i'm still alive.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  4. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Millennials are easy targets.

In the early 1980s, my grandmother used to come by our house and pick me up when she needed gas in her car, so that I could do it for her. She had no idea how to pump gas, and when all of the full-service gas stations went away, she had no desire to learn how to do it for herself. She was about 65 at the time. So...

5. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Daughter had to instruct son-in-law how to use a hammer drill to install a letter box, at 39 he had never ever used a scredriver. As man of the house he insists that he do it, each and every time he decides something needs doing. He will make a start then have to ask her how it should be done. There was a bicycle parked at the school they work at for several months as he did not know how to repair a puncture, and she was on maternity leave.

upload_2020-3-3_16-13-25.jpeg

6. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

7. meric

meric Tele-Holic

I guess the percentage of 'capable' doityourselfers has diminished but I am certain that there were many incapable doityourselfers fifty years ago. I was fortunate to have a father who could fix anything. He did not shirk his parental duties by letting me remain ignorant of how things work. I remember him frequently saying "if a man made it, then a man can fix it". I thank him for the valuable lesson.

8. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I did teach my kids how to change a tire last year. Now if I can just get them interested in driving, after all someone's gonna need to take me to Guitar Center.

9. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

I'm really sick of Boomers complaining about the Millennials THEY RAISED.

Maybe both parents working 60 hours a week and the TV being your weekend babysitter wasn't such a good idea after all.

10. Pick_n_Strum

Pick_n_Strum Tele-Meister

Having daughters with millennial husbands that can't DIY may say more about your daughters' choices in men than it does an entire generation (meant with all due respect).

I have multiple aunts and uncles in the Boomer generation that have never worked on cars or driven manual transmissions. I also have a boomer boss who has never worked on his car, can't launch a boat (much less drive one or winterize one); 3-weeks ago, he asked me if I could put air in his tire for him because the random auto shop he stopped at wouldn't do it for him (it was too cold outside). I don't judge the entire boomer generation on that limited interaction of boomers.

Likewise, I know many people from my generation that have worked on their own cars and own manual transmission vehicles. I currently have a 28 year old brother in law remodeling an entire house, basically by himself. I've remodeled parts of my house, tuned-up multiple vehicles (including newer ones that are a pain in the rear), have owned vehicles with manual transmissions, built a couple amps and I don't play video games. I don't think I'm an outlier.

Maybe it's just how I was raised. My father and both grandfathers did many things themselves. A lot of the problems I've had with cars, I've personally taken care of because it's much more cost effective.

Also, what generation invented video games?

drlucky, Rev Rhythm and cyclopean like this.
  11. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I can change my own motorcycle tires, and lots of other stuff. But, by God, don’t you dare make me ring out my groceries! I’m serious!

12. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

At least the millennials didn't jack up the national debt to 81% of GDP. Thats on us boomers... sorry kids...

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

That could easily be either of my step-daughters supervising their husbands in exactly the same way.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Lightbulb moment in 3, 2, 1...

gwjensen likes this.
  15. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

This

16. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

that's actually a pretty good way to learn a number of things. i look up videos on youtube every time i have a car problem i'm not familiar with and i watched a video to brush up on soldering.

i've also been looking up youtube tutorials for my synths and drum machines because the instructions provided are garbage.

MilwMark and drlucky like this.
  17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Touché!
    You’re right, it’s been a (long) while since I did a tune up, but I did do em’!
    I did brakes, master cylinders, and oil (and) filter changes, too.
    Anyways, I am not too hard on the “kid’s today”.
    I don’t envy them one bit.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

19. Toto'sDad

The fall and winter that I was fourteen years old, I worked after school until dark and on weekends operating an international harvester cable blade dozer at the city dump. I got two bucks an hour which was huge considering most kid jobs paid fifty cents an hour. I was doing fine until they found out I was only fourteen years old in the spring, then my career as a dozer hand came to an end. I gained some good experience though that would serve me well later in life. I ended up operating dozers that weighed as much as a 101 thousand pounds.

20. Pick_n_Strum

Pick_n_Strum Tele-Meister

Is it just me or is the guy in the left picture a German in WWII? the forum won't let me write in the name of the army/ political party

Funny post, nonetheless

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.