Oh boy, I hope it’s a Telecaster!

8barlouie

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
878C3D73-8E10-4038-ABEB-3699E3285CA2.jpeg

A friend sent me this today. I apologize if it’s gotten around already. I got a chuckle.

StratDal

Tele-Afflicted
Kind of like Dennis The Menace once said. "You open up your biggest present and you find out it's something to wear."

Hopefully Santa stuffs an extra set or two of strings in my sock. If a guitar shows up under the tree, then I know the world is completely off it's rocker!

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I’m reminded of Christmas when I was 12, in 1969.
I had been attempting to play guitar for a couple of years, and I wanted an electric guitar more than anything.
I was on my third acoustic, the first was a toy, the second barely playable, and the third was a good, solid Yamaha nylon string.
I desperately wanted an electric guitar, so I could work on the Beatles and Buffalo Springfield songs I loved.
In my folk’s defense, the Yamaha was a great sounding, easy to play guitar.
They figured I didn’t need a (noisy) electric guitar.
I got boxing gloves.
Boxing gloves.:(
Dad thought I needed toughening up.
I HATED the dern things.:confused:
I took em’ to my friend Chuck’s house and left em’ there.
Chuck’s folks got him a Silvertone guitar (not a cool one, a Tiesco-like thing), a brand new SF Super Reverb, and a Radio Shack fuzz pedal.
This was the beginning of my fascination with the electric guitar.
I never saw the boxing gloves again.
I did get a groovy Guyatone Jazzmaster/Moserite knockoff and Dad-made Heathkit amp shortly thereafter.
Chuck and I rocked out.
He was a precociously good soloist, and I was the rhythm guy.
Thanks for listening.

Dave Hicks

Friend of Leo's
I had been attempting to play guitar for a couple of years, and I wanted an electric guitar more than anything.
I was on my third acoustic, the first was a toy, the second barely playable, and the third was a good, solid Yamaha nylon string.
I desperately wanted an electric guitar, so I could work on the Beatles and Buffalo Springfield songs I loved.
I got boxing gloves.
Boxing gloves.:(

I asked for a banjo, but got a uke. I play uke now, but for a kid in 19 sixtysomething, it was an utter horror. :eek::cry:o_O

D.H.

bigbean

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member

Not that different than my house. They figured I (they) didn't need an electric guitar.
I figured differently. Washed dishes, bussed tables, packed groceries, bought and traded my way - to a Bandmaster.
Probably big enough for the living room on December 15th 1968.

The Bean played his first electric guitar gig a couple of weeks later on New Year's Eve at a kegger for high school kids (What could possibly go wrong there?) in somebodies family room.
It was probably big enough for that gig, as well.
2ndwk in Dec 1968 electric  reduced.jpg

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
s-l400.jpg
I still remember looking at my presents under the tree and thinking "I can't see the one shaped like a trainset."

Last edited: