Back in the day I was smitten with an original early 60’s Danelectro that belonged to my guitar teacher. He offered to sell it reasonably, but I couldn’t swing it. Fast forward a decade and the Dano re-issues hit the stores. A generous friend bought the last one at a local music shop and gave it to me as a birthday gift. The Copper-Burst paint (I called it Flesh-Burst) was an explanation for it being the last one on the rack. Of course, I pinstriped it in an attempt to distract from the visual offence. 16 years later, I had moved on to Teles and others that were a lot easier on my eyes, but nothing sounds like two lipsticks in parallel. So, I embarked on a quest to smack the ugly off my U2 re-issue. I went with a vinyl wrap rather than a paint job. Basement. Michigan. Winter. The factory paint on the neck just laughed at the citrus paint stripper I bought for the project but yielded to 220 grit and a LOT of rubbing. Again, Basement. Michigan. Winter. I finished the neck with six coats of Tru-Oil. The wrap on the body and headstock went great! The heat gun was my friend in getting the material to yield to the contours of the body. I butted some black pinstripe tape to the cream vinyl binding on the sides and striped the body with One Shot. I also wrapped the pickguard in black for some contrast and added black and chrome knobs to the mix. I had to make shims for the knobs as the bore was oversize for the pots. Danos have intonation issues. For some it’s part of the charm, but I was this far into it and decided to look for improvement. I added Jeff Senn/CJ Guitar Tooling bridge and Wilkinson compensated Tele saddles to get the intonation in order. All the electronics are stock save for a replacement switch bought at an auto parts store. Now it looks as good as it sounds.